Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous People to hail from Rathfarnham

Options
  • 28-10-2009 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Just wondering home many famous people Rathfarnham has produced over the years. Please feel free to add your own.

Sport: Padraig Harrington, Paul McGinley, Collie Moran, Don Givens, Sean Doherty, Jim Stynes

Politics: George Lee

General:Niall Mellon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Twink used to live up beside the Orchard, the mad bitch. Don't know if she still does, could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

She moved up beside Superquinn Knocklyon.

Paul Williams is living in Rathfarnham now.

I was really talking about people who were born/grew up in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

Political

WT Cosgarve
    Liam Cosgarve

Liam Cosgrave is totally unassuming charcater. Can be seen having his daily walk round Rathfarnham.

A far cry from the egotistical bert ahern - more a 'celeb' than politician *shivers*

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

thegen wrote: »
    Just wondering home many famous people Rathfarnham has produced over the years. Please feel free to add your own.

Sport: Padraig Harrington, Paul McGinley, Collie Moran, Don Givens, Sean Doherty, Jim Stynes

Politics: George Lee

General:Niall Mellon

Brian Stynes also played for Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I think Damien Duff is from Rathfarnham aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Bryn wrote: »

Thats right, Moyville I think. He palyed with Leicester Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Barbera Woodhouse was born in Rathfarnham...Walkieees....Siiit! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Woodhouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Well know garden designer Dermot Gavin.

Bryn wrote: »

cant believe i missed him, he lived about 10 doors from me in Moyville!!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Indeed. The Duffer also went to DeLaSalle in churchtown - as did Jim Stynes - and kicked ball not a million miles (feet) from where I type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Damien Duff, really? I didn't know he was a local! See Padraig Harrington and Paul McGinley in Londis every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Well not born in Rathfarnham but Mother Theresa trained in Loreto Rathfarnham.

Famous poet name escapes me lived beside Templeogue bridge - clark is it (sort of rathfarnham)

Edge has a house in Rathfarnham

Girv the swerve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Famous poet name escapes me lived beside Templeogue bridge - clark is it (sort of rathfarnham)

Think that bridge is called Austin Clarke bridge. Used to live beside it myself.
    Girv the swerve

Are we scraping the barrel by including the Girvenator, perhaps:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Clarke lived in Templeogue but was originally from Manor St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Padraig Pearse used to run a school in Rathfarnham, which has been converted to a museum last time I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I think infamous is a better word for him rather than famous :)

Well not born in Rathfarnham but Mother Theresa trained in Loreto Rathfarnham.

Edge has a house in Rathfarnham

Girv the swerve

Didn't know the Edge was living locally. I know Adam Clayton lives at the back of the Three Rock pub there near Marlay Park. Danesmoat the house is called.

Poet Austin Clarke lived in a little cottege which used to be on the left hand side of the Templeogue bridge (near Blue Haven not the other bridge nead The Morgue). When they widened the bridge years back poor Aussie's pied a terre was demolished however, they named the bridge after him so it's not all bad in the end !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

garbanzo wrote: »

Poet Austin Clarke lived in a little cottege which used to be on the left hand side of the Templeogue bridge (near Blue Haven not the other bridge nead The Morgue). When they widened the bridge years back poor Aussie's pied a terre was demolished however, they named the bridge after him so it's not all bad in the end !

The irony was that he was a strong opponent to the bridge being rebuilt so it was fairly funny for them to then name it after him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Didn't know the Edge was living locally. I know Adam Clayton lives at the back of the Three Rock pub there near Marlay Park. Danesmoat the house is called.

Me bad getting my U2 members mixed up it is Adam clayton :o
    Austin clarke I knew was borderline
    Here is another questions where does Rathfarnham start and end - I alway see the Blue Haven as one of the borders where is the next border down towards the bottle tower- dodder park road? Where up the mountains does it end.
    Is it the biggest suburb in Dublin geographically speaking including the mountains- are there any bigger? Maybe Tallaght any others?

Hey Luckycharm.

Funny but I've often asked myself that question too, particulary when I have visitors and they ask the question. I'm originally from Rathfarnham but living in Churchtown the last 10 yeard. An Post have us down as Rathfarnham. Nutgrove is in Rathfarnham. Ballyboden seems to be also in the Farnham as are Rockbrook, Edmonstown, Whitechurch etc. etc. It's probably down to subdivisions/townlands etc but would love to know the answer. Can anyone answer the riddle??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

W.B. Yeats had a house in Rathfarnham. There are a few new houses beside it but his house is still there, ableit, gutted and remodelled inside but the same on the outside.

Hey Luckycharm.

Funny but I've often asked myself that question too, particulary when I have visitors and they ask the question. I'm originally from Rathfarnham but living in Churchtown the last 10 yeard. An Post have us down as Rathfarnham. Nutgrove is in Rathfarnham. Ballyboden seems to be also in the Farnham as are Rockbrook, Edmonstown, Whitechurch etc. etc. It's probably down to subdivisions/townlands etc but would love to know the answer. Can anyone answer the riddle??

Think that one might be down to postal districts and the fact D14 fetches higher prices than say D16 houses. Although it could be simply Rathfarnham is the best known or biggest village in the general area. I lived in Boden for 42 of my 44yrs and when telling someone where I lived when trying to explain Boden was difficult especially people from outside Dublin. Say Rarhfarnham and they all knew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Live(d) in Ballyroan and always had Templeogue as postal address but think it's really Rathfarnham.

But since Town/Townsland is the only classification below county and Ballyroan is a Townsland, surely Ballyroan should really be the address no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Zalika

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    W.B. Yeats had a house in Rathfarnham. There are a few new houses beside it but his house is still there, ableit, gutted and remodelled inside but the same on the outside.

Where exactly in Rathfarnham is Yeats house.?

Zalika wrote: »
    Where exactly in Rathfarnham is Yeats house.?
    Heading towards the Yellow House on Ballyboden Road from Taylors Lane roundabout, it's the second last left before the Tuning Fork traffic lights. Riversdale Mews is the name of the little housing estate - http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-riversdale-mews-ballyboden-road-rathfarnham-dublin-14/186992

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Zalika

Does anyone know who owned Riversdale House in the 80's and 90's prior to it being sold to contractors? What was the house used for in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Tragedy wrote: »
    I think infamous is a better word for him rather than famous :)

i wouldnt say infamous really?

Sarah Curran(Robert Emmets Girlfriend) was from Rathfarnham. Robert Emmet also went into exile in Rathfarnham before being executed.

The playwright JM Synge was also born in Rathfarnham.

The local stories about him and his school paint him in a rather different light, tis all I know!

Advertisement