Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Izoard wrote: »
    Jeez, I hope the Galeforce guys are paying a royalty - even the photos are suspiciously similar!

I-can't-believe-it's-not-Tough Guy:)
    The low cal, lite version. Dont think Ill end up there this year, prefer to do the winter TG again.

Out for a wee jog this morning, in the misty rain, which was really nice. Kept it slow and handy, took aboutt 35 mins to do a route which usually takes 34.

Of to the 10m race in Phoenix Park in the morning. Untrained, unprepared but doing it anyway. :D

Headed up for this race reluctantly, was not feeling the running love today. In fact, I really didnt want to do it. But, met some mates at the start, and that got my mind off the negativity.

Decided to just relax and run at a happy pace, and feck the clock. Still, happy running for the slightly downhill two miles at the beginning took 15 mins, so I slowed myself down and enjoyed the scenery. Ran pretty consistent 8m miles for the next 4. Only felt the strain on the hills between 7 and 8, and even then was still relaxed with no niggles. Jeez, I should run like this all the time, it felt lovely.

Got to the finish, tired but not worn out, in 1.20.46. Not my fastest, but I wanted to enjoy today more than anything, and not tire myself out before the tri next week. And I needed a good run, the last few events have been torture.

Back to the Phoenix Park next Sunday, for a whole other kettle of fish. Yikes.

Got out this morning for a 25 mile bike and just did ten mins at the pool afterwards. Only did 14 lengths as was stuck for time but wanted a little splash before my shower anyway. :)

Monday, another sea swim. It was really windy at home, so I expected waves, but its a sheltered bay so it was very calm, no waves and just a gentle swell on the return route. The out section was against the current (tho a very mild current) and you could feel it, but the return I felt like I could go on forever. Got into a lovely relaxed rhythm, didnt have to stop at all, managed to sight properly, and stayed with the pack (I usually fall behind). Result. :) 850m approx distance covered.

• Advertisement

Took two days off training as I wasnt feeling so good.

Today got out for a run, did four miles, very slowly. Was rotten at the start but ok once I got into it.

Will do sfa till Sunday and the tri now. Think resting is the best option for a good event.

Did the Dublin City Tri today. What a great event. Report to follow :)

Righty ho. Another tri, my last one for this year.

As seems to be my way, I had a fubar moment on getting to transition to set up my bike. My car was parked two miles away with my helmet in it. Had walked down with my kit and forgot my lid. This was ten minutes before transition closed to bikes, which were only allowed thru scrutiny complete with helmet. (In my defence, I had a further two hours to set up everything once the bike was in). If it wasnt for a kind marshal who took pity on my pathetic face, I was DNS. I couldve kissed him.

Once that panic was over, it was business as usual. Hung around watching the olympic waves go in, thinking 'that looks cold'. Had my usual fit of nerves before I got in for my own swim, where I call myself names for being so stupid and signing up to do this thing. Had to jump in off the pontoon to start, and the marshal wasnt joking when he said it was deep. And freezing. But hey, you got to tough it out, dont you? :) Had warmed up by the time the hooter went, and took off easy into the swim. Still managed to get stuck in the washing machine, got a few wallops for my trouble, but didnt find it upset me. Used other swimmers to sight, big mistake. Cos when they go wrong, so do you - had to reroute coming to the turn, had gone wide. Felt good for the whole swim tho, and remembered to kick well coming back to the end, and it worked, I wasnt at all dizzy running to T1. 17mins, an ok time, for me. 167 ranking.

2 min in T1 and off on the bike. Found the first section uphill against the wind quite tough, and didnt gain on the downhill section of the lap as it was wet and slippy. Im too bloody nervous to go hard. Bike went well, and felt easy, so I know I can bang it out harder in future. 37 mins total (16k). About usual for me. 165 ranking

1.5min in T2, on to the run route. This was my chance to pick up places. Took off hard on the flat, slowed a little on the bumpy xcountry, but was comfy at a reasonable pace, and the route was really nice. Didnt suffer and took a good few on the route. 21mins, 66 ranking.

Total finish time of 1hr 19, 125th place. The rankings are important to me because they show me if Im improving. So far, Im slowly crawling my way up, from bottom 10% in Carrick, to just under halfway down the pack. I wasnt tired at the end, so I really need to work harder on accurate pacing, so I use the energy Ive got, not still have it in the tank at the finish, when its no use. :)

All in all, a great event. Organised to a T, good race briefing and wave starts, and the sniffy Liffey was no worse than any other river to swim in. Hope to get back next year, but at Olympic standard!

Sea swim on Monday. Did approx 800m pretty much non stop. No idea how long it took. It was choppy and cold, so a pretty tough swim compared to recent weeks.

And our club got our ugly mugs in the local paper this week, as did Racing 795 in Bunclody. Fame, at last! :D

Running tonight. Hill sets. Did a 1.5k warmup, then went up the nastiest hill around (sinnotstown to whiterock) which is about 800m or so, with some horrible climbs. Did 4 reps up, with a 30 sec rest at the top, then back down, no rest at the bottom. It was killer. Did the 1.5k back as a cooldown but I was wrecked for it.

• Advertisement

Was wrecked after that last run ^, and didnt train for two days.

On Saturday got out and did about 6k, on a handy route with just normal hills.

Sunday: did an hour on the turbo. The weather was pants and I was responsible for the kids so couldnt go out anyway.

Monday: Went to the pool in the morning, did 45 mins, but didnt count my lengths, I just worked on technique, and did some sprint lengths alternating with easy ones, to work on power and speed. I should bilateral breathe all the time, but find myself lapsing back to 2 or 4 strokes per breath. Something I need to work on.

Monday evening another hour on the turbo, cos again, I couldnt go out. No hrm, which I know defeats the purpose, but Ive got a cold coming on, thats my excuse for not working as hard as I should. :)

Tuesday, did a 3.5 mile run, took 29 mins. Handy enough.

This week has been a disaster, timewise, but its no harm really. Am under the weather and I cant decide if its a cold Ive got or just that Ive done too much. Ho hum.

Turns out I was under the weather alright.

Havent trained in a week, and Im still not ready to get back into it. Damn kids going back to school I reckon, made all the bugs get passed around.:)

I was supposed to do the Race Series HM this Saturday, not a hope in hell. Id need a wheelchair. WAR is 11 days away, and to say Im not prepared is an understatement. All I can do is feed up, take my vitamins, and hope Ive still got good legs on the day. Such is life. No point training hard, Ill only make myself worse with just over a week to go.

Lesson to be taken from this: Plan your bloody races better (and further apart) Oryx.

Still not 100%. Coughing up a lung still. But was half asleep all day yesterday, and I think its cos Im not used to sitting around. So today I thought feck it, Im getting back into it.

Went out for a very short jog, to see how the body felt. 20 mins, nice and easy. Chest was not good, and energy is still low, but god, it was lovely to be out in the air running again.

Got back to the house, and no electric. So took myself off to the pool for a shower, and managed about 10-12 lengths in the pool while I was at it. Bit breathless but it really made me feel better.

My head is in a much better place now, cos I know Im not completely shagged. :D

Friday, went out for an easy, short spin on the bike. Still recovering, so I cant do too much. Did nine miles.

Saturday, got out for a run, short route, 4 miles in a very very slow 35 mins. Terrible. :) But the body is slowly coming back to itself.

Sunday, out on the bike, did an out and back route, total 23 miles. The return was into the wind, very tough, and wobbly with the gusts. Into the pool afterwards, half an hour, just enjoying it, not pushing hard. About 40 lengths, wasnt counting. I love my sunday mornings. :)

Did WAR Glenmalure today. Problematic, slow and tough. Dig deep? I was practically in China. Full report to follow. When things stop hurting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done Oryx. I was on the top of Croaghanmoira. Probably said hello as you passed.

Well done Oryx. I was on the top of Croaghanmoira. Probably said hello as you passed.
    Sure I know ya. I was the bedraggled straggler with bloody knees who asked why you werent doin it as I passed ya to go back down. On the way up one of you told me I was 15th woman and I wasnt impressed. Well I blew up on the bike and the other nine women all caught me :)

A cold and bright day for WAR left me shivering as I set up my bike and queued for the stinky toilets. The atmosphere though, was great from the start, with lots of familiar faces and chat. So much chat that I almost missed the start, racing down the road with about two mins to spare. My timekeeping is gone to hell, lately. :)

Race began with a 10k run up the Kilkee mountain. It took me a while to get into a rhythm, but once I did, this was a nice run, it took me 1.02 with no problems. Back to transition an onto the bike, (bike 1, 22km) my first time riding it with toe clips, and realised my cycle computer wouldnt work. No speedo, no cadence. Lovely. Route was undulating at first, then began a climb of increasingly tough hills. I was uncomfortable from a very early stage here, and knew this would not be a fast race for me. For reasons out of my control, I hadnt eaten properly in the morning, and it began to show. Walked some sections when the legs just were beaten, but tried not to let it affect my head. At one point as I was walking up a narrow stretch, a lady in a car came racing up the road, honking loudly, and hit my bike on the way past (though I was in as far as I could go) and ripped my toe clip clean off. I swore lots at that *ahem* lady. Rest of the race was with one toe clip. :)

Couldnt make time on the descents such as Shay Elliott as I lack the balls to go hard. The Sliabh Mann climb was another walk/bike struggle. Took off running at T2 (run 2, 7.5k) and said hello to GoHardOrGoHome who was finishing the stage. That guy is rapid! Up the first ascent, thinking right, to the top and back, grand, was very tired, but kept going. Got to the top and realised I had to go down the other side, which looked as if it stretched to Galway. Oh Sh!t. Loose shale made it hard going, so took my time. Halfway down gaining confidence, began running, all good. Turned a rocky corner and suddenly Im rolling down the hill, my ankle had twisted under me. Landed sitting upright and stunned, still holding my water bottle. Took a few minutes to get up again (with help, thanks whoever that was) and gingerly began to go down the hill again, limping. Rest of the stage went ok, with bloody knees though, I reckon a bit slower than I would have otherwise done, I was nervous on the downhills. Saw Slogger Jogger at the top of the mountain, and managed to chat and stay pleasant, he has no idea how much effort that took. :D

Very tired starting the second bike (bike 2 17k?). Prayed it wouldnt be too hilly, energy was low. Of course it was damn hilly, well for me, anyway. I was almost last at that point, and I felt like everyone behind me caught me on this stage. Bonked completely on one hill about halfway along. Had to stand on the road chewing a Powerbar to see if I could get going again. Towards the end of the stage, as if things werent bad enough, my chain came off. Fixed it, but badly, and I had no control over the gears from then on, they clunked up and down at random. Just to make the last few miles more difficult, naturally. I think my bike is telling me it needs more tlc.

I could have kissed the marshall at transition, I was so glad to see him and be finished that ride, but he did ask if I passed anyone, checking if I was last, which was demoralising. :) Dumped my bike and kit and jumped into the river which was pleasantly cold on sore legs. The assault course was doable, a little crampy in the calves but sure, I was almost done and didnt care.

Dibbed into the finish at 5hr 31m 12s. Woefully slow, only 15 other finishers and 20 dnfs behind me. I hate that. :p Saw GoHard again, plus another few mates, its lovely to know faces at these things now.

This event was hard on a lot of levels, but the main one being lack of fitness for it. Next year, I will be better, faster, harder, stronger. I will maintain my bike better. And I wont fall!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Thanks for the report. Sorry about all the enldess **** things that happened but i hink that an experience like that will deffo stand to you next year.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Thanks for the report. Sorry about all the enldess **** things that happened but i hink that an experience like that will deffo stand to you next year.
    Cheers.

Im only glad I didnt puncture as well. I would have just sat down on the road and cried. :D

Ah, the tough races are good for you, I know I learn from stuff like that, I wont let myself run out of fuel like that again, that was just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Oryx wrote: »
    Ah, the tough races are good for you, I know I learn from stuff like that, I wont let myself run out of fuel like that again, that was just stupid.

Sometimes you just have a bad race. I had a shocker at Achill Roar where I was reduced to a slow roll in the cycle. Could not summon any strength. Lots of small reasons which on their own wouldn't have been a problem. Breakfast was a nutty/oaty bar and a can of club orange which probably wasn't the best!

Breakfast on the morning of WAR: Glenmalure was a large bowl of chocolate nutty porridge with coffee. I took 3 gels during the race as well as one can of coke and one 700ml of water (+ 2 cups of water). Those Hammer Gels were frickin' awful. Never again!

Are you doing Westport?

Nope, dont even know when its on, my AR races this year werent really planned, it was meant to be a 'triathlon' year.:)

My breakfast was better than yours then, two small slices of bread and jam and three cups of tea.

Ive done 14 hard events this year so far, which is too many, I now realise, and Im almost worn out. I have entered the Ballbuster duathlon in the UK in November, but it remains to be seen if Ill get over to do it, theres a lot to arrange, and a lot of resting up and training to fit into 6 weeks! Im not like you mountain goats, I feel pain. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I think its only fair to say that you were SICK days beforehand!!!

14 races - jesus, what a year. I was looking to get in an other duathlon after doing clonakilty 2 weeks ago. Was looking at humpty dumpty but i dont like the fact the it starts with a cycle and then finished with one run after. Might just settle for a few runs and do the half in clonakilty in december.

Got to the pool for a swim on Monday, rested yesterday. Well tried to fix my bike which doesnt really count. Out for a run this evening, a relaxed 40 mins, to see how the legs are. I felt pretty good, no fatigue or pain. Hopefully do some strength work tomorrow, Ive been neglecting that for months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

That was a tough race for you in WAR Oryx. Talk about things not going your way! sure what does not kill you makes you stronger, eh! :)

14 is alot of events, Have a good rest after the next one.

Thanks Macanri. It didnt seem so bad at the time, you just get on with it, but written down it's a disaster. :)

Did manage to do some strength work last night, not much tho, because I need to come back to it gradually. I could feel it in my back this morning so the core needs strengthening.

Brought my bike to be looked at yesterday, there was a tight link in the chain and the cable may have loosened slightly, but otherwise ok. The computer just seemed to be slightly loose in the cradle, I cleaned the contacts and its working fine again. Probably the offroad bumps and being clattered by a car didnt help the bike much. But my baby is fine again now. I hope. :)

Totally shattered last night, I think it caught up on me. I was to bed by half nine. :)

Out for a slow run this morning, the first day it really felt chilly! Got caught in the rain too, but I quite like that. Four miles which I didnt even time because I had to take it easy, the bruises are still healing. :D

• Advertisement

Another easy day today. Went out on the mtb for a change. Only did 13 miles and it took nearly two hours, I kept getting lost or had to get past gates, and flooded or blocked paths. Great fun though, and brilliant weather again today, it wasnt even cold. Came back with my already battered legs scraped in bits again, but with a big grin.

Advertisement