Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Monday: First club pool swim session. 800m warmup, then sets of 200m drills. Very hard going, and my arms ache like hell today. Total of maybe 2000m, Ive tried and failed to add it up in my head. :) Put myself in the slow lane, but was probably the strongest swimmer in it, which was good for my head. Im sure that will all change when the others find their rhythm and pass me by.

Rested on Tuesday. I am a lazy sod.

Out for a run last night (Wednesday). Half an hour, felt nice and easy, so I need to do some tougher runs!

Friday, start of the tougher runs. Did 7.4 miles in the evening, but it took me just over an hour. My pace has really slowed. It was a good route tho, with a 1.8 mile hill near the start, and plenty of other uphill drags. Next long run will need to be about 9 miles, I want to get to at least 12.

Today I got out early to the pool for a short swim. 25 mins easy working on my arms. Am tired now, the combination of run and swim so close together has knocked it out of me. :)

Its ages since I updated this.

Didnt train much last week, life got in the way. I did a swim session on the Monday, and then didnt get to run again till the Saturday. Dear god. Did two runs over the weekend (I was away) the first felt good, the second terrible, but I was tired from travel and lack of sleep.

Back into it this week!

Must. Stop. Eating. Chocolate. My addiction to the stuff is getting out of hand.

Did 45 mins on turbo, no hrm. Easy for most of it because I am a wuss, but one trawl up and down the gears, min on each gear, cadence 60-80 depending on the resistance. Sweaty. Must do LOTS more of that.

• Advertisement

Another 45 min stint on the turbo last night. Sure every little helps, eh?

Out for a run this morning, god, it was a beautiful day. Cold as hell till you get going though, its hard to walk out the door in teeshirt and shorts and brave the chill. Did a hilly 7.5 miles, it took 1.05, which is dissapointing but what else can I expect when I havent been running like last year?

Swam this morning, practising some drills. No idea how many lengths, but 30 mins was all the time I could spare in the water. Getting easier though.

In prep for that duathlon Im thinking of in two weeks, did a run bike run this morning. First run, 4.9 miles, 45 mins. Wasnt pushing the pace, so that was ok. On to the bike, and then with the wind chill, I realised how bloody cold it was. Running is deceptive, you never notice the cold. My fingerless gloves were not a good idea. At four miles I stopped to warm my hands which hurt so bad I wanted to cry. At seven miles my jaw was seized and I couldnt use the gears. At nine miles my core was chilling and I turned for home. Did 15 miles in total, with some decent hills, so not a total loss. I need to dress warmer for the bike from now on tho, I dont produce enough body heat to cope with this weather. Took 90 mins which is bleeding pathetic but I did go over our (small) mountain twice. Out for the second run and I didnt feel my feet for most of it. Felt the hills more on this one but was in my happy zone where I feel like I can run all day. Took 42 mins on this one, identical route so very pleased with that. A good morning but god, my hands have warmed up, but still ache'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

About 3 miles into my run this morning i wasn't sure if i had warmed up or if my hands had gone numb.

Can't imagine how i would have felt on the bike! Nice little brick session there.

Thanks UL, today was a big lesson in the difference between run and bike sessions in cool weather, and Im glad I learned it now and not in two weeks. Beautiful morning tho, lots of people out training, which is great to see.

• Advertisement

Swam this morning because I will miss the club session later. After a few warm up lengths I did 50 lengths of 20m pool in under 24 mins. Must check if thats faster or slower than before. Did some drills after that, and thats all I have planned for today. Apart from a kids party which will be mental. :)

Had a rest day yesterday (26th). Today I went out early for a jog, did 10.75k in 55 minutes on the old route I used when I started running, and hadnt run in ages. It felt slow and the hills felt steep, but I reckon I was only a minute slower than other times Ive done it. But a gorgeous morning to be out, with brilliant sunshine, it felt really warm too, even before nine. First day wearing longs, only because my shorts were in the wash. :) I have a pair of skins Ive never worn because they made me feel like Tron, must dig them out and wear em.

Depressed today. Got my final update/ race instructions email for the duathlon I want to do next weekend. Seems there is a cut off of 3 hours for the first run (8 miles) and bike (24 miles) and the course is known for being stupidly hilly. I had no problem doing the event if I had even got 3.5 hours cut off, but havent a snowballs chance of making 3 hours. So do I go knowing Ill fail? Or not bother with the expense? Such a waste of time, and this cutoff wasnt mentioned before now, that I could see.

In other news. Did a five miler this morning. 43 mins. ho hum.

Spilling rain out, so did 24 miles on turbo to see how long it took. 1.46 at a resistance 3, big ring, midway thru back gears. Cadence around 70 to 80 all the way.

Club swim session. 800m warmup, but only managed 600. 300m kicking drills, did full set. 500m speed drills, did full set. 300m doggy paddle, bloody horrible, did 250m. 100m swim down. Managed it all ok. Have time trial next week, will see if I need to move up a lane, was getting caught behind people this week.

Rested Tuesday. Didnt intend to but as usual life got in the way.

Out for a run last night (Wednesday). Did around four and a half miles, but it took about 40 mins. Really not on form, legs were heavy and I got heartburn. Dehydrated too, I think. Thats what I get for drinking coffee all day and wolfing down bread and jam before I go out. :)

I am really, really not ready for Ballbuster. But sure if you were to wait till you were ready for something, youd hardly do anything at all. The race report should be interesting, disqualified or dnf, which shall it be?? I'll just try to make it less of a disaster than some of the others (forgetting my helmet, etc), which on reading back, are a complete comedy of errors. :)

Well whaddya know? I'm now officially a ball buster. :) I beat the damn cutoff with 3 minutes to spare. And it was a great race, with a nice hoody as a souvenier. Who knew I had it in me? I certainly didnt. :D

Full race report will follow, but right now leg cramp is cramping my style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done Oryx,

Being a Tough Guy wasn't good enough for you!, you had to go and become a Ballbuster - love it. Nice one.

This was the event that caused me much worry for the last few weeks, because I didnt think I was strong enough for it, and particularly so when they put in the 3hour cutoff for the first two stages. The event, which is considered the equivalent to a marathon in terms of endurance, consisted of an 8 mile course; a mile and a half uphill, a mile undulating, some fast descents mixed with one or two short climbs, then a two miles of hairpin climbs up Box Hill to the end of the lap. So the hardest part was last. Lovely.

This being England, and them being a bit keen and all, the start time was 8am sharp, which meant being there well before 7 to register and set up transition. But it was organised to a T, and I didnt have any catastrophes like forgotten helmets this time. In fact I was at the start smiling and calm, which is very unlike me. I must do UK events more often. :)

The first run (one 8 mile lap of the course) started uphill, but I kept to 8.5min miles, pace crept up on the downhills, and by some of the steep descents I was going sub 8 minutes. The pace felt comfy tho, and this race is all about pacing. Got to the bottom of Box hill feeling fine and plodded up it without a problem, just a hell of a lot slower than the rest of the run. First run 1.06.

The bike took you three times around the same route, so three times up that bloody hill. Just got my head down and went as hard as I could on the rest of the route, but once I hit that climb my legs went into cramp mode. On the first two laps I ended up pedalling up the climb with solidly cramped up calves, telling myself 'its only pain, Im not stopping' like a mantra. I was watching the time the whole way around with the cutoff in mind, and I had 15 mins to do the last climb in order to make it. It took me 12. :D Funnily enough on the third lap my legs didnt cramp. I think they had decided I wasnt listening anyway, and gave up. Did the bike (24 miles) in 1.48. Not fast by normal standards, but bloody good for a pleb like me on flat pedals.

The last run was a joy (well for the first six miles anyway). I caught up with lots of others, and chatted to anyone I passed, I was in my happy place and actually enjoying it. I know my pace here was as good as the first run, I was keeping an eye on it. But by the last go up that hill, I was feeling pooped. Not breathless or burnt out, just physically tired. I ended up doing a stop start run walk thing and still managed to pass other poor souls who were suffering on the slog. Finished the run in 1.08.

Total time of 4.07, which is a lot better than my estimate of 4.5 hrs. I was way down the field though as this is quite an elite race (which would explain why I was gettin constantly lapped on the bike). But its a victory for me, and this race was a great finish up to my year.

Yeehaw. Roll on next year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done again Oryx. That's a great second run to be able to do it within just 2 mins of the first run!

• Advertisement

Just for the record, I cant walk right today, and I have a swim time trial tonight. Am I allowed a pull buoy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Oryx wrote: »
    Just for the record, I cant walk right today, and I have a swim time trial tonight. Am I allowed a pull buoy? :)

I'm getting strange looks in the office after laughing out loud at that statement... Time to go home I think!

Fair play on the race, sounds like a great one!

Well the tt was pants. Did 2.05 and I know I can swim better than that. Went off too hard and my technique was all over the place. Every untimed length after it was better but thats sods law. Was a very hard session, coach even had us out doing pushups at the end of each length at one stage, but I think the difficulty has more to do with the weekend I just had rather than the swim sets!

Doesnt a year fly when you are having fun? Its kind of the birthday of this log, so its time to review the year, and plan for next year.

Did I achieve all I set out to do? Well, not quite, my plans changed over the last year, running became less of a focus, so no marathon, but all in all I think I did pretty much all I set out to do. I got a bike, Im slowly learning to ride it. I can swim now, well, at least better than I did this time last year. (When I think back, god, I was bad!). I did 3 adventure races. This time last year I didnt even know what they were. Ive come to realise my strengths lie in endurance events. The longer I have to go, the better it suits me. Short and fast events kill me. Must be my age. :)

Fifteen events in the bag, (one Toughguy, one 10k, one hill relay, 3 AR's, 3 sprint tri's, 2 ten miles, 2 half marathons, one duathlon, and one I cant even remember) with two events planned but dns, The Great Run, and the Race Series Half Mara. I know I put too many events into July and August and my stamina suffered, and I got burnt out. No pb's this year, but a benchmark for cycling that I need to work up from.

Ive enjoyed the year more than I ever thought I would. And Ive changed. I love my bike. I love swimming. I wear lycra suits so tight I wouldnt have worn them in the bedroom a few years ago. People tell me I look different, stand different. I find it hard to believe sometimes the stuff I can do now, and a year ago I couldnt. Ive proved something to myself that I needed to, which is that Im good enough to do these things, not just a tourist who comes last. Ok, so Im nearly last. :) But its a long road to go, and a lot of times and distances to beat. Another thing I learned - you are never 'there', theres always the next big thing to master.

My plan for next year:

I will master cleats. Really.
    I will do my last ever Tough guy and I will walk the plank. Really, really.
    I will turbo all winter to come into spring strong.
    I will manage to drink whilst on the bike. (You didnt know I couldnt?)
    I will complete Olympic distance tri in May or thereabouts
    I will compete in Antwerp HIM in July.
    I will compete in another HIM in September.
    I will probably throw in another half dozen events I havent even heard about yet, but I WILL PLAN THEM BETTER.
    I will find out, yet again, how far I can push my soon to be forty year old body.

Onwards, to 70.3 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Oryx, love reading your log as it's always so positìve. Keep up the brilliant work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey Oryx - just catching up with your log now fromBallbuster. Well done. Sometimes i think we can be our own worst enemies regarding what we think we can and can't do - well for me anyway. Great race for ya.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Hey Oryx - just catching up with your log now fromBallbuster. Well done. Sometimes i think we can be our own worst enemies regarding what we think we can and can't do - well for me anyway. Great race for ya.
    Thanks. I had a bit of a hissy fit when that cut off was announced, but tbh, I needed the push, and it was the best thing, in the end. Cos I could do it, I was just being lazy and wanting an easy time. Big reminder to me not to get negative like that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Fair play Oryx, great stuff all 2010, and getting better for next year.
    Hope to catch up with you again at a few of those events (not Antwerp;))
    good luck with your goals

Turbo session. Fifteen minute warm up. Four mins slowly increasing hr to 160. 1min cool down. Repeat 4 times. 2 mins increasing hr to 160, 1 min cool down. Repeat 4 times. Five mins cool down. Sweaty now.

• Advertisement

Out this morning for a run. Did 5 miles easy. Not sure how easy as my garmin died halfway around. Under 45 mins is all I can say. Lovely run tho, legs arent too stiff at all. And such great weather. Frosty and clear. Still in short sleeves but I did give in and wear long leggings. Not a total hardcore nut. :)

Advertisement