Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im starting to plan next year and need to have an idea what sort of effort Im putting in, so I can quantify and up the levels a bit.

Date |Session |Distance |Time
    9/12/10|Run|6k tm|36m
    10/12/10|Strength|3 sets|30m
    11/12/10|Bike|Turbo|55m
    12/12/10|Run|8k tm|40m
    13/12/10|Swim|2000m?|60m
    14/12/10|Strength|4 sets|60m
    15/12/10|Run|4miles|33m

Just finished an hours turbo set, same as the last one but with an extra 3 min hill climb at the end. Felt good but the hrm was playing up so it was hard to stay accurate. A few push ups now and Im done. :)

Friday: Rest. Not intentional, life got in the way.

Saturday:
    Couldnt get my sorry ass out of bed in time to do an outdoor run. I kept looking out from under the covers at the frost and thinking 'five more mins' :)

Ended up on the tready, did 8k, 45 mins. As usual felt hard, so either Im slowing down or its just harder on the bloody thing :) But one more run in the bank anyway, better than sitting on my bum. Or staying in bed. Did a few kbs after, just as a cool down.

Edit: I just got to mention here that Ive entered a HIM for September. Decided on the Vitruvian in UK, it comes highly recommended by some friends. Had to enter early, it fills within 48 hours. I decided not to go for Galway because its the atlantic ocean in September. I would worry the swim might not go ahead. Ill already be doing an mdot event in July anyway, all going well.

Out at 9am into the frost for a run. Was -1 which was practically balmy compared to lately. Nice and solid underfoot, very few slippy patches. Did 12 miles (or a tad under, i forgot to start the garmin for the first mile or so) it took 1hr 44. Ave hr 144 also. The last 3 miles were all uphill and much slower as my legs were feeling tired. Longer distance sure makes a difference when you havent done it regularly. :)

Swim session. Warm up, then drills. Explosive breaths, 3/4 catch ups, fingertips, fc arms, fc legs with rollover, cant rem what else, but about 1500m. Hard at the start but everything felt better the longer it went on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oryx wrote: »
    Out at 9am into the frost for a run. Was -1 which was practically balmy compared to lately. Nice and solid underfoot, very few slippy patches. Did 12 miles (or a tad under, i forgot to start the garmin for the first mile or so) it took 1hr 44. Ave hr 144 also. The last 3 miles were all uphill and much slower as my legs were feeling tired. Longer distance sure makes a difference when you havent done it regularly. :)

That was good running Oryx. Also good stuff going on there with the swimming. How do you find the catch ups?

All the arm stuff is ok, legs only is tough enough, thats what I find hard. Technique is still pants tho :)

Tuesday was a rest day. And a disaster, because the snow came back.

Wednesday, turbo session. Ten min warm up. Then four sets of: 5min 75% @ 90 cad, 3 min 85% @ 100 cad, 1 min easy 80 cad, 1 min spin ups (around 120 for me, but did max at 129) Ten min cool down. Was hard but doable.

Thursday, treadmill run. (blizzard outside) 30 min 3.4 miles. Calves are still stiff from the long run Sunday.

Just entered spring ballbuster. :)

Date|Session|Distance|Time
    16/12/10|Bike|Turbo|60 mins
    17/12/10|Rest||
    18/12/10|Run|5m tm|45 mins
    19/12/10|Run|12m|104 mins
    20/12/10|Swim|1500m|60 mins
    21/12/10|Rest|||
    22/12/10|Strength|2.5 sets|25 mins
    22/12/10|Bike|Turbo|60 mins
    23/12/10|Run|3.4m tm|30 mins

Today did turbo set, same as last time. 4 sets of ten mins cadence based. Lovin it.

Tomorrow is def a rest day. Beer and turkey. :) And the day after I go do that charity sea swim. Chilly!

• Advertisement

Sea swim was postponed because of icy roads. So went out for a long run today. Conditions underfoot made it treacherous tho, ended up walking long sections where it was slushy and dangerous. Did 10.7 miles but it took two hours with all the bloody walking. But least I got out, blew the cobwebs away and worked off some of the indulgence of yesterday :)

Swam today. The pool Im a member of and the public pool were both closed but used one I havent been to in a year. I really felt like a swim today so wasnt giving up :)

Did a total of 78 lengths (20m pool) kept it easy just working on getting technique better. Took about 45 mins, I wasnt clock watching. Real nice session, didnt feel tired at all, only got out cos its a salinated pool and I was starting to prune. :) Am wrecked now tho, would love to go to sleep!

Turbo session. 5 min warm up. 5 x 6 min 85% 95 cad. 2 min recovery 70% 90 cad. 10 min cool down. Found it very hard to stay focussed and keep cadence and hr where it should be. Proper hard sweaty set.

Did strength work day before yesterday. Four sets of the usual stuff.

Today, we did the postponed sea swim. The air temperatures may have risen but the water temp sure didnt. Thought it was much colder than last year, the water hurt, and I didnt get used to it :) Did manage a proper face in the water front crawl, and stayed in a respectable time. :) Took about an hour to warm up tho. :)

Turbo set. Same as the last one, but did 7 sets instead of 5. Felt good, and at least it didnt involve cold water :)

Also did a swim session today. Just a short one, 30 or so lengths of 20m pool, nice and steady. Timed a few lengths, about 20 seconds trying hard, and 21 working on smooth technique but at what felt like a handy glide. Goes to show! Was looking forward to a nice warm dip cos the pool I use is always a shade too warm, but guess what.. today it was freezing :) Must be the week for it!

Long run today. First day lately that the roads werent frosty. Did hilly 11.75 miles in 1.44.57 Felt hard on the hills, have to admit to one or two very short walks, but otherwise happy with the pace.

Havent updated this in a few days..

Kept it light on Monday, just a weights session, usual kb moves, 3 sets of 10.

Tuesday, club swim session. Approx 1900m, endurance session. Found it hard to start, but got into a nice rhythm by the end.

Today did turbo set, same as the last two times, but am tired and it showed. Couldnt get hr up -tho my monitor is buggered anyway - and didnt feel well after it. Will see how I feel tomorrow and train accordingly.

Got out after work for a jog. Calling it a run wouldnt be totally accurate. :) 4.5 miles, but walked a bit cos my phone rang and I ended up chatting :) So about ten mins of the total were strolling. But at least it was something, better than no training at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

You should start posting on the S/C/R challenge for 2011...you'd be surprised how quickly you'd motor up the charts with your daily output.

Good going!

• Advertisement

Not a training update today. Just marking the last day of my thirties. I move up an age ranking tomorrow. A good year to have some mad targets. :)

Swim set today, did 2150m in 55 mins approx. Good relaxed session but am dead sleepy since.

And entered Antwerp today. Happy birthday to me. :D

A late start to my run today, owing to too much food and drink last night. Did the same run as last week 11.75 hilly, but 3 mins slower. Legs were still tired from the swim and a long week in general. Still, another brick in the base wall :)

Put deposit on a new bike today. :) Should improve my times at least!

Circuits this evening. Just two times around, an easy one as its the first class of the year. Most of it was handy the only ones that ached a bit were core work, have been neglecting that :)

Swim session with club. Even tho the group has been split in two, and this is the slow one, we did a good session tonight. I did 500m warm up. Then 9 x 50 fc arms with pull buoy. Then the main set, 8 x 100m easy/hard. Finished with 200m swim down. Coach checked everyones swimming and had crit sheets and a quick one on one for everyone as we left, which was great. Have a few small things to correct with my arms and need to break the surface with my feet. But am making progress which is good to hear. :)

Jan 30th Tough guy entered
    Feb 13th 2011. Mysport.ie 10k entered
    Mar 5th 2011 Ballbuster entered
    April 9th 2011 Portlaoise Try-Athlon, entered
    May ?? Wexford Half Mara, Tri sprint TBC.
    June 5/6th 2011 TriAthy Oly. Entered
    July 25th?? Antwerp HIM entered
    Sept 3rd Vitruvian HIM entered

My calendar is filling up. Not sure about entering anything between the two HIMs, been thinking of entering the adidas race series just so I get the goody bags. :) I am trying to be sensible this year and focus on the main goal of the halfs, peaking in September at Vitruvian.

Tough turbo set tonight. Warm up, 7 spin ups to 120 cad, 45 secs on 15 off. Then 80 cad, 3 mins each of 70, 75, 80, 85, 90 hr with a min easy between each, 3 min easy then repeat at 70 cad. Horrible stuff, but good for the legs. Hopefully.

Ran this evening. Was still tired from the turbo and an early start and almost did nothing, so this was a bit of a bonus. Kept it at recovery pace which was relaxing and easy. 4.5 miles, approx 40 mins. Its nice when a run you expect to be hard and dont want to do turns out well.

• Advertisement

Just did a short weights session yesterday, only two sets. I was tired, and just couldnt find it in me to push hard and do any more. My quads ache which is my main indicator of fatigue.

Today I planned to turbo but had to pass on it. Was still properly tired and there is no point trying to do something so strenuous when Im not feeling able. Thats my excuse anyway. But Im not ending up chronically tired like I did in August. Learning from my mistakes!

Advertisement