Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Out on my bike this morn, first proper outing on the new one. 51k in approx 2.25

Glad I got out on the bike yesterday, the weather today is pants. Did circuits last night as well, 45 mins of the usual hellish stuff. But good for you. I ache today and have to swim later. Oh joy.

Came 6th in my age ranking in that race on Sunday. The same time would have won me the F35 rank, moving to F40 sucks. :D

Club swim tonight. 2000m of mixed sets. Was tired going there but found the swim ok, wasnt even last in the lane. Prob coulda worked harder because I wasnt shattered getting out :)

Took two rest days this week, not deliberately, but life interfered.

Tonight did the second turbo force session. Was ok, totally doable. Wonder if Im doing it right :)

Out for a short run this morning. Usual four mile route. Took 31 mins approx today, much faster than Ive run it in ages. Feels like finally Im breaking back through a limit thats been on me since last year. I think I badly overtrained then and its held me back since. Hopefully Im over whatever it was now. For what its worth, I feel stronger. :)

Tho I had physio yesterday, and my calves are very tight today. A dose of foam rolling tonight I think!

• Advertisement

Was meant to go to Bunclody today for a club duathlon but the time didnt suit, I had to be back. So did my own here earlier in the day. 2.4 mile run. 20k bike. 2.4 mile run. Then into the pool for 1500m swim. Ending a good weeks work, over 8 hours this week. :)

Well, I went out on the bike with cleats for the first time today. I know, its only taken a year to get to this point. :) But if you imagine yourself rolling down a hill backwards on rollerskates while blindfold, youll get some idea of what it feels like to be me on a bike. Anyway, five miles of clicking in and out and I didnt fall off. Progress!

Circuits tonight. Felt tired, maybe because of yesterday. So still no kettlebells. Save it for the swim tomorrow...

Tuesday was swim night, club session. About 1900m of drills, arms, legs, timed. The last drill involved holding your head out of the water, sculling your hands with arms in front, and kicking your legs f/c out of the water too. It was awkward, tiring and wrecked my neck. So it was the one and only time I told the coach to stick it when he asked me to do two extra at the end of the 6 lengths we had done. I couldnt see the point of having a sore neck for a week. Otherwise, the set was ok. We had to do 4 lengths each of 4/5/6/7 strokes per breath at one stage. That was horrible as I usually breathe every 2. :)

Rested for two days since, I was knackered, totally wiped out. Ran this morning, but I was slow. Still feel heavy and tired. But I dont think its anything to worry about, just one of those weeks.

Did the third force session last night, with a ten min warm up. Main set took 42 mins then an 8 min spin down. Set was ok, hard but doable.

Ran this morning, same route as yesterday but two minutes faster. Which is weird.

• Advertisement

Out for a club bike ride today. An easy 35k. My first proper ride using cleats, and had no issues, a little trouble getting in, but otherwise fine. I never usually cycle with anyone else so drafting was a pleasant change. :) Ran for 25 mins after, 3 miles or so, legs were heavy but I need more of that kind of run off the bike.

Another bike ride this morning, a shorter 23k this time. Just putting in more time on the cleats, they take practice to get comfortable with. Find them much better to cycle with but cant get out of them uphill yet!

Circuits this evening. Shouldnt have gone tho. My heart wasnt in it, Im tired. Got thru it but didnt enjoy it and I usually do. Im learning sometimes its better for your head to just say nah... and crash on the sofa. I shoulda tonight.

Club swim session last night. Was still feeling very pooped, and wanted to quit during the warm up. :) But like all things, if you keep going you get into it and its not so bad. Worst bit last night was 300m of butterfly legs (sounds fancy, dont it?) which is a kind of dolphin kick,both legs in one motion, which Id never done before, so I couldnt master it and it killed my quads.

Im easing back for the rest of the week, today is a rest day, and I might try a short run tomorrow. Friday Im travelling to Surrey, and Saturday is the murderous Ballbuster Duathlon. Im not prepared or trained or feeling ready, but jeez, when do I ever. Ill head down and see what happens, am trying it with cleats too, which will either be my best idea ever or end in complete disaster. :D

Well, Ballbuster was a load of fun, 6 mins faster than Novembers one and no cleat disaster either. A report is probably pointless, one word: hilly, kinda covers it :)

Rather than post a long report here on last weekends Ballbuster race, which would be very similar to that of last November, I posting a link to the event website, in case anyone wants a look at the event. Its a really great race and a good challenge for anyone who wants to test themselves with something a bit different.

Personally, this race was a good one, my run splits were faster and still within 40 seconds of each other. The big challenge of this race is not to run the first leg too fast, or you tend to blow up on the second one (a lot of the splits in the results reflect that!) My bike was faster even though I had a problem locking my cleat at one point as it was clogged with mud from transition, and I didnt cramp at all this time, that was a chronic problem in November.

Im still plodding at the back of the pack but with nearly 50 finishers and 30 dnfs behind me Im slowly pulling my way up from 'pathetic' to 'ok'. Now I just need to start catching the 200 or so fast feckers in front. :)

Swim session tonight. Felt good getting in so I was suprised when I couldnt find a rhythm and get my breath. Even the warm up was a struggle. And oh joy, we had a 100m time trial to do. My time was 1.56. I hate being this slow. :) Really gonna have to plan more swim sessions- I need to be better than this by summer!

Rest of the set was all technical. Practicing turns etc, but I was fooked for the whole thing. Better next time hopefully.

Ran last night 4 or 4.5 miles (didnt check) 37 minutes. Legs felt good, and it would have been nice except for the lashing rain that started five minutes out.

Turbo. Did the next force session. Four on, four off thru 7 gears at 85% plus 5 beats. Horrible. And it gets worse next week. :)

Managed to fit in a swim today while my kids were at swim lessons. :) 20m pool. 1520m in 40 mins. Turns were hard in this pool, it has a sheer wall at one end. Felt slow and short of breath but I hope that will improve when I start doing more sessions per week. Only managed one a week for the last while and dont feel as good since.

Ran this morning. 4 miles. Slowly. :) 33 or 34 mins, didnt really check, as I knew it wasnt good. Legs were feeling the last few days training. But otherwise, I feel damn good, considering.

Am praying for a fine day tomorrow so I can go for a long bike ride. Otherwise it will be turbo. Bleugh.

• Advertisement

Well the sun shone thank god :) Out on my bike for 38k.. Planned 40 but hadnt measured the route. Nice spin, tried to work harder on the way back, trying to get my speed to increase. Into the pool after that. Did 1500m, 40 mins approx. Was working on my turns, which are def getting better. Otherwise kept it nice and handy. A nice swim, no torture involved. That will come on Tuesday!

Circuits last night, a new set of stations. Was hard work and the bod is tired today.

Holy s**t but I ache from circuits. :)

Swim session last night. The main set was 20 x 100m at varied times. Problem I have with that is I can never keep track of my time on the timing clock at the pool. So I just swim like bejaysus till I start to slow down. Not ideal I know.

Was cramping in my feet from early on, which made me stop, coach gave me a pull buoy but that made it worse. So the set was a bit stop start and not really as focussed as it should have been. Didnt finish it either, got to about 16. Got some good coaching tho, for some reason I was his pet project last night, correcting my turns (which are abysmal) and my stroke which has gone a bit wrong, Im not reaching enough and my hand is entering the water too soon. God this stuff is technical. He walked the length of the pool with a stick, making me do it right. :D

It seems every time I correct one thing, something else I had right, goes wrong again, such is the nature of swimming I suppose.

Short run this morning before going to town to freeze my butt off watching the parade. 4 miles, usual time, no records set today. :) Plan to turbo later if I dont hit the beer.

Well, I hit the beer, so no turbo on Paddy's day.

Yesterday got a swim session in, 1560 in 45 mins. Kept it very easy pace because Im working on my stroke, which is a bit busted. Did find that I was getting more distance with less effort when I really tried to do it right, so hey, there might actually be something in this technique malarkey.

This morning I was tired, but still wanted to catch up on the missed turbo set. Did force session, 4 mins on 3 mins off @85% + 5 beats, thru 7 gears. With warm up and spin down was 57 mins. And total agony. Very hard today.

Triple session today. Shortish bike, 25k, then 8k offroad run on dunes and beach. Then over to the pool, did 1600m. Total training time two and a half hours approx. Good session, nice to get all three disciplines done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nice one on today!

Body was tired most of yesterday. I hate that. :) Did circuits in the evening, felt good, its the same as last week, shuttle runs, burpees, crunches, high deadlifts, pushups, squats, crab, kb swings, rope whipping. x3. Easy, sure.

The circuit felt good, but ended up sick as a dog for the rest of the evening. I reckon I ate something with wheat in without realising. Grand again today, had hoped I would be cos I dont want to miss the swim set later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I'm tired just reading your log :o Where do you get all that energy from! You put in a serious amount of training. Very impressive :)

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    I'm tired just reading your log :o Where do you get all that energy from! You put in a serious amount of training. Very impressive :)
    Cheers. Id be grand if I didnt have to do normal life as well! Im only doing 6 -7 hours pw and it doesnt seem enough, (8 -10 recommended for HIM). You always feel like you could do more, but Im constantly on the edge of overtraining. Its a hard thing to balance.

Advertisement