Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Club swim session last night.
    300m warm up
    300m fc arms
    250m fc legs (cut from 300)
    250m sprint (cut from 300)
    300m timed
    250m timed (cut from 300)
    150m varied arm drills

I think thats it but wonder if I missed a bit. Coach kept cutting the sets short, but I didnt think I was particularly slow. I think we were just short of time. Enjoyed the session, I hope thats because my swim fitness is improving and not because I didnt work hard enough. :D

Wednesday: Short run 4 miles
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Swim set 1640m 45 mins
    Saturday: Turbo set, w/u, one leg x 4 each, force, 4 mins on 2.5 mins off x7 gears. 65mins workout total.

4 hours so far this week. Need a long session tomorrow!!

Two sessions this morning. Fancied a long run, so left the bike at home for once and plodded out a slow and easy 12 miles. Havent done that in ages. Wore my old shoes because I need to break in the new ones and I suffered for that. Blistered toe, and the ominous rumblings of the onset of plantar fascitis. Good job the physio is on speeddial, then.. Took 1h 48 for the run, was enjoyable other than the lousy feet.

Had to use a 20m pool for my swim, the usual one was hosting an event. Did 1800m pretty much non stop. Turns are improving but I have numerous issues to work on, reach and catch, improving breath to 4 strokes, and I twist my legs too much. Its an unending struggle to master. Gotta stick at it I suppose.
    Swam 5240m this week, so am well happy with distance. Similar total time to the last few weeks, 6h 38m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great job on the swimming, I think we were close for a while but your in a different league now and tumbles and everything :D , keep it up.
    Will you Bunclody again?

Oh I dont tumble turn! Im just trying to speed up regular turning. :) Was only shown how to do it right a few weeks ago. Tumbles arent allowed in most tris so wont waste time learning at this stage. :) And I bet youre not doing so bad yourself. I want to do Bunclody but I think its too close to something else, must check, cos thats a great race.

• Advertisement

Did just under an hour on the bike today. Only managed 22k. Was an out and back, flew out, but back was uphill into the wind. Killed my legs which are tired from yesterday. :)

Circuits this eve. Handy enough, tho we had to do a series of slow squats at the end. Felt that in the quads alright!

Club swim. 650m warm up. 350m fc legs. 700m fc arms, with diff breaths per stroke. 2, 3, 4, 5, 2, 3, 4. 100m doggy paddle, 100m sd. 1900m. Full set was longer but gets cut short cos of faster swimmers finishing, but I worked hard. Really wanted to not go tonight, was very tired but glad its done now. One more in the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Another tri log to follow:)

Thanks jackyback :) better keep training so!

Just a short run this evening, 27 mins. God knows what distance, should be just under 3.5 miles.

Did a half hour spin on the turbo last night, more to satisfy the head than to improve the pedalling, I really need to do more time on the bike.

Swim tonight. 55 mins or maybe a little less as I had to stop and play with my kids mid session :) 1840m, pace felt grand, session felt handy enough. Just worked on body position and breath.

• Advertisement

Turbo set this morning. 5 min w/u. 4 mins on, 2 mins off thru 7 gears, hr 158-160. 5 min cool down. Sweaty stuff.

Went out early today for a kinda interval/fartlek set over dunes today. One of those ones where you make strange noises on the hard bits and want to throw up. Good, in other words. 45 mins approx.

Thats my only set today, have to do mammy stuff. :) but Im tired so a step back is probably no harm. Am over 6 hours anyway this week.

Wanted a bike ride today, but it was spilling rain when I wanted to go out, so hopped on the turbo instead. Did 1hr 50, and stopped because I was hungry, but moreso because my film was over and I was bored senseless. Need a good box set, I think!

Oryx wrote: »
    Wanted a bike ride today, but it was spilling rain when I wanted to go out, so hopped on the turbo instead. Did 1hr 50, and stopped because I was hungry, but moreso because my film was over and I was bored senseless. Need a good box set, I think!

Spartacus, it's really good also the greatest series ever can be watched over and over, The Sopranos.

Is that the Spartacus showing on tv right now? Cos havent really got the stomach for that. I did try :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Is that the Spartacus showing on tv right now? Cos havent really got the stomach for that. I did try :)

yep, my wife tends to close her eys for those parts but sure she's only watching it for spartacus himself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Woddle wrote: »
    Spartacus, it's really good also the greatest series ever can be watched over and over, The Sopranos.

+1 for the sopranos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Sopranoes,
    Dexter
    The X files
    ER

As a good treat - if you can get your hands on cycling dreams and use it to watch, you won't notice your turbo session go at all

I dont mind once Ive a good set to do, but longer stuff is less varied and wrecks my head. Thanks for the recommendations lads, I have a friend who has loads of box sets, which Im gonna try to raid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Sorry for crashing your log, but Breaking Bad is the best box set around at the moment. So grab that one from your mate first :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

The Wire, you can keep the rest TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

asimonov wrote: »
    Sorry for crashing your log, but Breaking Bad is the best box set around at the moment. So grab that one from your mate first :-)

Best first episode ever

I have enough recommendations now to get me to Ironman. :D Cheers all.

Circuits last night. Had a hell of a lot more bounce in my step because of Sundays easy day. Worked hard and enjoyed it. Shuttle runs, burpees, crunches, high deadlift, pushups, squats, kb swing, rope whip and some weird thing I cant name. x4, plus warm up and tough set of star jumps etc to finish.

Then my darling child kept me up all night and I can barely stay awake now. Swim session later should be right fun, not.

Sick and queasy as well as tired, all day for some reason, and fought with myself over the swim. Was still debating whether to get in on the pool deck. :) Thought what the hey, and gave it a shot. Felt ok once I hit the water. Wore a trisuit which felt really good, tho I looked a bit weird. Did 450 warm up. 400 fc arms, 400 fc legs, 400 sprint, except I couldnt sprint without feeling sick so I didnt, and 300 fc arms (ran out of time).

No problem with any of it until I got out and thought I was going to throw up. Its odd how my body switched that off while I swam. Weird.

Rest day Wednesday, still felt a bit bleugh. Went out for a short run last night, just under 4 miles or so, and it seems Im still not over the tummy bug yet. Took it very easy, 30 mins. Taking another rest day today, I have laois sprint tri tomorrow so its pointless doing anything and I might just benefit more from a rest, let the last of this bug die down.

Im looking forward to the tri, but not the half four alarm call.

Best of luck tomorrow oryx, have a feeling from your log it's going to be a good one :D

Thanks Woddle. I dont know how Ill do, but in the back of my head I am thinking, god, if its not any better after the winter Ive put in, Ill just give up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Did you do that one last year? You should certainly fly the swim this year

Sprint distance, 750m, 19km, 5km

This was my first time doing Laois, it was far too early for me last year. In wave 3 of the pool swim, I was placed 5th in the lane. Think I underestimated my time tho because I lapped a few. Got stopped once to let someone takeover, but the guy wouldnt pass, I think he was happy drafting me. :D Swim time 17.03. Well happy with that, much improved on last years times.

T1 I kinda messed up, put on a jacket and I shouldnt have, and fumbled my shoes, just over 3 mins lost there, but it had a very long run in, which meant everyone was pretty slow here.

Bike I worked hard at, pushed it all the way. Bumpy course and pretty windy in parts. But a nice route overall except for the speed bumps everywhere. :) 42mins, a small improvement on my previous bike pace.

T2 was abysmal too, no idea why, a minute and a half, but I suppose the shoe change adds time.

Felt stiff and had a chest cramp starting the run, found it hard to build speed, the quads were tired. A dissappointing 24.4? run, which I can def do better on. The route had a few dragging hills and I just didnt have the power there. Still caught a few, and it was my strongest section, my run placing was in the 60s.

A time of 1.29.10 and an overall placing of 84/202 Im very happy with, last year in any tri I did I was dragging along at the back 10% of the pack. So, its progress. Lots to improve on though.

Got to say as well, the organisation of the event was flawless. You can always tell a good event, because the organisation of it is effective but invisible. The pool coordinator in particular was brilliant. Real time individual results on a clock as you cross the line and updated finish lists as they come off the printer. And the music was darn good too, thanks to our own boardsie elvis jones. Well done to all involved, I will definitely be back.

• Advertisement

Well done, glad to see all the hard work paying off.

Advertisement