Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Woddle wrote: »
    Well done, glad to see all the hard work paying off.
    I just wish it wasnt so bleedin hard to make gains on the bike. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great going looks like you had a good race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done Oryx. That's a good start to the tri year for you. Nice swimming.

A more streamlined transition and you could take minutes off without any real extra effort. Do you think your run suffered as a result of "working hard" and "pushing all the way" on the bike? - Just a bit of constructive criticism.

Yeah Macanri, the bike did make me hurt on the run. I know I need to train at higher intensity on both bike and running, cos my endurance is ok but once the intensity creeps up past what Im used to I overcook a bit :) But I hate intervals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nice one Oryx. I get you on the bike. when i first ramped up the rides, I saw visible improvements but they seem to level off very very fast and its almost like the swimming. Lot of work for small improvements. always build up running speed much much faster

• Advertisement

Sure I suppose if it was easy, everyone would do it. :) But god, Im gonna have to work hard to make HIM in July...

Recovery today, a short and easy run, just over two miles, to see how the legs feel today (grand) and then 1000m in the pool. Way slower than yesterday :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Yeah Macanri, the bike did make me hurt on the run. I know I need to train at higher intensity on both bike and running, cos my endurance is ok but once the intensity creeps up past what Im used to I overcook a bit :) But I hate intervals :)

I should have said I'm not in a position to be advising people what to do in relation to the bike (I have only been on mine 3 times this year :o
    Sure I suppose if it was easy, everyone would do it. :) But god, Im gonna have to work hard to make HIM in July...

HIM in July... That still gives you at least 11 weeks - plenty of time in my opinion. Once you bring up the milage in all three over those weeks you will be A1. You will come on no end, as the milage nearly implies that you will be getting fitter, building strength etc. Good luck with the training. It will be no bother to you.

Jesus Macanri you just made realise I only have 11 WEEKS to train. :) I hadnt thought of it like that. A lot of painful bike miles to get thru.. Ive been keeping an eye on the swim bike run challenge to see how Im doing, and the bike is my poorest distance wise. So got to rack it up. As another log here says, suffer the pain, do not suffer the regret! :)

I wasn't looking at the calander when I said 11 weeks, but looking now (and if it's Swinford HIM on 24th July) then that's 15 weeks from yesterday - even better! As I say it will be no problem to you - You have shown time and time again what a 'Tough Guy' you are. You will fly it.

Its Antwerp, but the same weekend. I havent even done an Oly yet, thats the first week of June. Its a fine line between 'tough' and 'stupid' and I do sometimes wonder which side of it Im on. :)

Anyway, first of the bike rides done today. 33.5 miles. Into the wind on the outward leg which was hard. Picked a route that included a 20k section called the Tramps Heartbreak, a long straight road with a series of godawful hills. A readymade interval set. Didnt do it fast, 2hr 15, but is distance in the legs at least.

• Advertisement

Circuits this evening. Usual set, but the difference today was four sets of the full circuit straight through. No breaks, no stopping. Makes quite a difference to how tiring it is. Everyone was dead on their feet by the end. Good tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Ive been keeping an eye on the swim bike run challenge to see how Im doing, and the bike is my poorest distance wise. So got to rack it up. As another log here says, suffer the pain, do not suffer the regret! :)

So, get yourself on it...:)

Izoard wrote: »
    So, get yourself on it...:)
    I havent because Im unlucky with tables, my times always seem to get deleted. Its a curse. And wouldnt those already on it get irritated by me jumping in halfway? :)

Absolutley not... the more the merrier.

And if your totals get knocked there is always someone will fix up the table.

What I do is keep a paper record of my totals, then if they get changed or left behind I just re-update, simples.

BTW that circuit session tells me your tough, not stupid.

HIM in Antwerp, nice one.

I'm keeping a manual training log which I find really good for the nitty gritty details of times and distances, whereas here is for the ramblings of my idle mind. So I do have my weekly totals written down. Proof Im not spoofing if anyone wants to check. :D

Mkay, will jot them on a piece of paper and add myself to the list tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

The more the merrier for the SBR Challenge, judging from your training you will fly up the table.

Swim session tonight. No coach, so we had to work from the board. I made sure to choose the lane with the fast guys in it, cos I needed something to make me work. :) 1900m in total, a mix of arms work and sprints, mainly. I enjoyed it, its good to have people in the lane who make ya work a bit hard. These sessions used to kill me and now I look forward to racking up the distance. Mad.

Rest Wednesday.

Four mile run this morning. Another slow one, 34 mins. I keep asking myself why Im not getting any faster, but then, thats the definition of insanity. Doing the same things and expecting different results. :)

Swim session today. 2000m in 20m pool. Was a bit slow to start but by halfway I had a nice rhythm. Took just under an hour. Noticed a little strain in my right shoulder, like rsi, which eased out towards the end of the set.

Ran this morning. A nice hilly route, really felt it in the quads. 11k 55 mins

Also I was checking back on my early swim sessions this year, and I realised I miscalculated my total by 1000m. Ive updated the s/b/r challenge this week to reflect that, plus the 2000m I did yesterday.

• Advertisement

Double session today. 45k on the bike, which took just over two hours. I also managed to christen the bike properly, I fell off. :) bloody cleats, got out the left, and fell to the right, such a twit. Tho it had to happen sometime. Once off the bike, did a short 1k run to loosen out the legs, and on to the 20m pool for a steady 1520m (37 mins). None of it felt too bad, nice way to spend the morning. :)

Another bike this morning. 28k, 1 hr 15 mins. Found it hard because the road I chose was in a terrible state. Never again, it would make a great route but for the boneshaking and potholes. As I live on top the highest point around here my cycle ended with a 3 mile beeatch of a hill. Which I had to keep going on once I started as I cant release the cleats uphill. I really need more bike skillz. And soon. :)

Circuits last night. Same as last week but we did have 1 min breaks. Tho during each circuit we had to stop and do things like slow pushups and one leg squats. Fun.

Club swim session. 250 wu, 100 75%, 2 x 50 90%, 100 sd, then 1500 time trial. Did 34.46. 1 min improvement. Then 150 sd, total 2200m. Good session, felt fine throughout :)

Ran tonight. Tried to up the pace by doin tempo or fartlek or whatever its called when you run fast and slow intervals using the cats eyes on the road to measure :) 3 on, 1 off. Ended up getting sick of changing and ran hard for the last 500m. 4.2 miles 33 mins.

Rest yesterday, and had physio. Ran again this morning, because I wont get to swim later. 11k, 55 mins. Felt like I was taking is easy but did sprint the last few hundred yards. Felt better at the finish than the start. Does that mean I should be working harder? :)

Wasnt feeling the love at half six today when my alarm went off. Headed out before half seven for a brick session with another club member. 6 miles on the bike first including the steepest hill Ive ever been up (and Ive cycled in Wicklow). Once I was on it tho, I had to keep going because I couldnt release the cleats. :) A short xc run with more rotten hills next, maybe 2k? And back on the bike for another stinker of a hillclimb, then headed for home. Did another short xc hill once I got home, just to finish up right. Cycle was 10.8 miles and the run I would say was under 2m. Whole session took an hour and a half and apart from the steepest sections it felt very doable. The runs were too short, will have to reroute for next time. :)

Long session today which didnt start so good when I realised I was out of porridge. Out on the bike for 40 miles, which took 2h 45. Great day for it, sunny with very little wind. Did a very short jog afterwards, then went to the pool and did 1500m in 40 mins or so. It was a slow swim, my shoulder gave me gyp and I was tired. Wonder why :)

Happy with the training this week. A few good cycles and a decent run. Missed a swim set but ya cant do everything. My second week of 9+ hours, training for HIM is hard!

On a separate note, hopping like an easter bunny while on an egg hunt with kids is not easy after a long bike ride. :)

Was tired yesterday, and had to be up early to marshal the Rosslare 10k, which meant no training. Stood on a bridge and cheered on the runners and boy it was freezing. I was jealous of the competitors simply because they could keep warm. You get a whole other perspective watching a race from the sidelines, front runners never look or acknowledge if you shout encouragement, the further back in the pack it goes, the more people chat to you. I always thank marshals who say something, so I guess I know where I fit in the pack. :)

Im turning into a bit of a fitness nazi too. A few walkers quit at 5k, as they were being 'sensible' and 'minding their bodies'. I thought WHAAAAAAATT? You lazy sods. :D

So a rest day Monday, which I havent done in years. Out this morning to try and make up a little for that, did my usual four mile route, but a good bit faster, managed to be two minutes faster than normal, somehow. Maybe my watch is faulty. :) Did work hard, am happy that I can pull it out when I try.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm keeping a manual training log which I find really good for the nitty gritty details of times and distances, whereas here is for the ramblings of my idle mind. So I do have my weekly totals written down. Proof Im not spoofing if anyone wants to check. :D

Mkay, will jot them on a piece of paper and add myself to the list tomorrow.

I wouldn't show my manual training log to anyone, not as detailed as it used to be but it used to say exactly how I felt every few hundred metres, I got a bit obsessive... :pac:

Advertisement