Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Out on the mtb with my son for a few miles last night, then on to turbo for a moderate session. Was meant to be hard but kept getting interrupted. 45 mins.

Have noticed my lower calf is a bit borked. Musta torn something. Not badly but needs watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

How do you find the turbo, do you have a training wheel ?

I might get one for the winter to go with my spinning !

How do you find the turbo, do you have a training wheel ?

I might get one for the winter to go with my spinning !
    I havent done a heart rate test yet so I dont know that Im working to an accurate level, but other than that it is a great tool. Lets you train when you cant get out, and if you do proper sessions you can target different things, single legs, spin ups, hill reps etc.

I have my old bike permanently set up on it, with its standard wheel. Works fine. Only slips the very odd time.

Managed to dodge the rainshowers, and did a 20 mile bike this evening. Not really faster than before but small things like each hill getting easier or the wind not being such a bother make me feel like maybe, just maybe, this is getting better. Ill tell myself that anyway. :) Been told to relax and not be stiff so thats my new thing to try. Theres got to be a secret to losing a few minutes! Am definitely better on the bike tho. I can scratch my nose without wobbling now. :)

Owing to the influence of certain early rising boardsies (yes, you, Woddle) I hauled myself out the scratcher at quarter past six this morning. Into the pool for seven. 45 mins, 1520m. Worked on technique because its suffering with all the crash bang wallop sea swimming. Bloody calf is proper injured tho, I could even feel it in the pool. Grrr.

• Advertisement

Well whaddya know? Came home this evening to find a letter with a 50 quid voucher for 1st F40 in the Strawberry Half. Whoop-di-do. :) (The girl who actually came first placed so I get the prize). Sure made me smile.

Back to reality tomorrow tho, and back of the pack in tri795!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Oryx wrote: »
    Well whaddya know? Came home this evening to find a letter with a 50 quid voucher for 1st F40 in the Strawberry Half. Whoop-di-do. :) (The girl who actually came first placed so I get the prize). Sure made me smile.

Back to reality tomorrow tho, and back of the pack in tri795!

Nice one!

You'll need to change from F/40 to F/PRO for your next outing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I don't feel too bad now about getting beat by you today :D

I don't think a fifty quid voucher is enough for me to go pro, somehow. :)

Well I got around the evil course for bunclody tri. Swim was grand. Just tried to relax and get it done. Nice and short, and the only flat bit all day. 11 mins.

My nemesis at the club, a real tiny strong girl was out way before me, I know cos a marshal told me she was 'long gone' :) Fumbled the cleats which I knew I would and panted up the hill. Worked my purple clad ass off for the bike, and still played tag with a mountain bike. A feckin mtb. How embarrassing. Finished the bike in 47.

The start of the run was rotten. Dusty Bin was encouraging but it didnt help. A steep hill on tired legs, all I could do was plod. Still, caught Mr mtb which was satisfying. :) The uphill run to the turn didnt feel as painful as last year which is something. At the turn, I knew my nemesis was in front, but try as I might i could not get her. Ah well. Run was 22.3? mins.

Finished in 1.23.15. Ten minutes faster than last year, which I couldnt believe. And 50 secs behind the other girl, dammit. :)

Great race, great atmosphere. Only downer was seeing Elvis Jones drop out with a puncture. Better luck next time man! Bunclody, I will be back. And Ill spank them hills proper next time. :)

Woddle wrote: »
    I don't feel too bad now about getting beat by you today :D
    Don't know that I did.. What you do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Don't know that I did.. What you do?

You surely did and you looked to be flying on the run when you passed me.
    1:25:40

Time should read 1.23.25 but editing will fcuk it up. You ran a good race. We were close! And youve not trained for it :)

Out on the bike this morning for a reluctant long bike. Legs were tired but it had to be done. God but I was slow tho. 83k and it took over 3 and a half hours. I sure was glad to get out of that saddle at the end. How cyclists ever manage to procreate Ill never know..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done in Buclody, that's a nice bit to knock off last years time.

Re the saddle soreness. You really need to get one that suits you - they are not all the same. Cyclesuperstors do a buy and tri, where you 'buy' a test saddle and try it out for a week or 2. If it suit great you buy one, if not you try a different type. I would say other shops do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I wear cycling shorts over the tri suit on the longer rides, definitely helps a little bit.

Thanks for that. The advice I've been getting here up to now is put up and shut up. :) I've had a htfu video posted for me twice. :) I am thinking of changing the saddle but won't get to before the half. Moneys too tight what with the travel and all that. Ill just have to walk like John Wayne for a week after! Good for mental toughness tho and I already have my kids :)

I'm thinking of changing my saddle as well. Anything over 40Km and my left groin is in bits, never had that on my old bike !

The try a saddle idea sounds perfect for me...........

Oh and Oryx........spinning;)

Sea swim. Boy was it rough. Really big waves that just threw you around. The first 400m down the beach was so fast I knew the return leg would be horrible. And it was. Took half an hour to get back. Every wave picked you up then dropped you into a void. You had to sight as you peaked a wave or all you saw was rolling water. Madly fun but hard work. Ten strokes forward, twenty feet back :) But I did it. So am happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Oryx that sounds bloody tough!

Ran last night. A few easy miles. Legs felt heavy but eased as it went on. Junk miles but that the only kind I seem to do. :)

Out early this morning got in the pool for seven. 1600m but it was slow and tough. Could not find a rhythm and the water felt too warm. My calf is acting up again too, despite physio and being told its just a strain from overuse rather than an injury.

Still, am feeling positive it will all come right for next week. Am bricking it but excited too :)

• Advertisement

Meant to bike this morning but the weather was pants and I was too fond of my bed. Went out this evening but it was one of those sessions where you start out not wanting to be there, and that didn't improve. The fact it was piddling rain and pretty cold didn't help the motivation. Turned around at ten k and went home. I was cold and soaked and hating it and sometimes its better to just say sod it. So I did.

Ill HTFU some other day.

Ran 10k last night but legs were tired. Nothing today. Have sore throat so a rest day is needed. :)

Five days from antwerp and Ive come down with flu. God damn!

Five days from antwerp and Ive come down with flu. God damn!

Well, the main thing is just to stop what you are doing (training wise...:)) and rest up...nothing you are doing now is really going to help you anyways.

You've done all the work and prep races, so the main thing is to relax, rest up and try to enjoy the day when it rolls around.

Wise words. Thank you. Is too easy to panic. Am too fubar to even pack kit right now.. It can wait.. :)

Today. -4 to Antwerp. I need a rant. My ankle is busted. I have flu and feel like sh1t. My booked bike box fell thru and had to be reorganised. My pedals are seized so bad to the bike I can't get them off and I've broken my spanner trying. So I can't pack the bike. Some days, and this is one of them, I wonder if this is all worth it. HTFU? I just want to go to bed!

Today. -4 to Antwerp. I need a rant. My ankle is busted. I have flu and feel like sh1t. My booked bike box fell thru and had to be reorganised. My pedals are seized so bad to the bike I can't get them off and I've broken my spanner trying. So I can't pack the bike. Some days, and this is one of them, I wonder if this is all worth it. HTFU? I just want to go to bed!

If you are really stuck, a bike shop will pack it in 10 mins for you.

The logistics of getting to and from any overseas event can be a bit of a pain in the ar$e (Roth being a major case in point)...just try to focus on the moment you are running over the line with a big smile on your face - you'll forget all the other noise (travel, injuries, etc...) in time.

I got the pedals off, with some bsmah help (big strong man and hammer) but now I can't figure how to make it fit in the box, and not break in bits in transit. So I give up. Going to my local bike shop is not an option. So round two of me vs the bike box tomorrow. If anything else goes wrong, therell be a ticket to Belgium going cheap, if anyones interested.

Is today going better ???

• Advertisement

Is today going better ???
    Well, I dreamt of bike parts and bubble wrap all night. :) This morning I tried again, and what with flipping the bike over and a bit of tweaking, so far, its all in. Havent shut the box yet tho. :D I'll be amazed if it all arrives intact. The videos on youtube make it seem so easy. Its not!

I plan to run tonight, my first attempt at training since Saturday. That will give an idea if Im going to be up for this at all.

Thanks for asking. :p

Advertisement