Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Wednesday:
    Up at stupid o'clock to go for a swim. Did 64 lengths, 45 mins roughly. Still stopping after two lengths but not for long now, and managed a few runs of 4 or 6 lengths together. One of these days I will swim! Properly! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Oryx I was looking at the results of jog in the bog (Galway adventure race thing) today and noticed the almost complete absence of F40s! in the longer race I think there were none and in the shorter race there were a few but I actually think that even with my very limited fitness I could have been up there with the fastest of the them with a little bike training! Have you noticed that in any of the races you do? I noticed the same in the achill roar results last year. Another year and you are going to win sooo much! Hell you could even slow down from where you're at now and still win! It's a pity really...there are plenty of us in road races so I don't know why so few in those races. I'm (almost) tempted to go down that route myself... maybe my only chance at ever winning anything :D

Thanks littlebug for giving me something positive about facing the big Four Oh!! Hopefully by this time next year Ill have cracked the triathlon nut, and might even be able for Olympic distance, ya never know. But thats the plan. Im not so worried about winning anything, though that would be nice!

Friday:
    Never, ever, ever did I think I would get so into this, that I would find myself in a swimming pool at 7am. Not just getting up to go, but in and swimming by then. Mad.

Thought there was a swim session on, but only one other person was there. Still, they helped me comprehend the board. :) Afaik, it was the set below, but the stated distance was 2120, so I dont know where Ive miscalculated it. (or the coach has!)

400m mixed warm up.
    10x 40m legs, steady, sprint, 10secs rest.
    12 x 80m steady, sprint. 25 secs rest.
    6 x 40m sprint. 20 secs rest
    280m swim down.

I didnt think I was able for that kind of set, but when its broken down into different things like that its so much easier to do than monotonous lengths. Did my head good to complete it.

Saturday:
    Pouring rain, so I stayed in and did a short set on the turbo. Half hour, with about 6 30 second sprints to the max I could do (no hrm at the mo). Legs were buggered after it.

Sunday:
    Another soft day of training, out early to the pool, 50 or so lengths, just working on technique. Stuck for time this weekend, but suppose its no harm with carrick next week.

Monday:
    Decided to go for a short, easy spin on the bike, ended up doing 19 miles cos it was lovely out. Really sunny and pleasant with just enough wind to make it interesting. :) Unfortunately since then Ive had a pretty bad twinge above my hip so something has had a pull. Ah well, nothing for it but hope it eases.

In the evening I did the sea swim as usual, tide was full in, with a heavy swell. Hard at first as I kept being swept out of my depth, but once I settled in and got used to that, I found the swim the easiest yet, so the training is beginning to kick in. It was still stop/start, but even getting waves in the face as I tried to breathe it was ok, and I didnt get stressed or very out of puff. 600-700m I reckon.

I am very stiff and sore today, so I mustve been doing something! I really need to rest from now on so I have some hope the twinges easing by Saturday!

• Advertisement

Tuesday I just did a 20 min light spin out on the turbo.

Wednesday, went out with a friend for a cycle, she has a tri planned and wanted to do the cycle distance. We did 12.2 miles, easy enough pace, but I was drafting most of the time, letting my friend set the pace in front of me. Didnt want to load my legs anyway, so it suited. 13.5mph av pace.

Thursday (today) did a short swim in the pool, about 20 or so lengths, to try out two new pairs of goggles. Got TYRs and Aquaspheres, as I didnt know which would suit.:) Both good, TYRs are clear but with a smallish field of vision, didnt fog. AS's had a brilliant field of vision, but were slightly blurry to look through above water, misted towards the end, but I did put them on my face when I was already wet. To be honest I think I prefer them, and will give them a shot on Saturday.

Thats it till Carrick, and aw jeez am I nervous about this one. :D

Completed carrick and hooray! wasnt last. Race report will follow, all I will say for now is my swimming sucks and needs a lot of work but I loved the whole event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Oryx wrote: »
    Completed carrick and hooray! wasnt last. Race report will follow, all I will say for now is my swimming sucks and needs a lot of work but I loved the whole event.

Great stuff, fair play to you. Glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to the report. Re the swimming. It is fairly dauntin doing the swim in the first triathlon, I'ld say most would agree with this. So just to get through the swim is great.

In spite of all the other crazy stuff Ive done in the last year, this first tri had me shakin in my shoes. I got to the park by the river with hours to spare, so had loads of time to check out how everybody else set up transition, in order to figure out how to do it myself. :) Lovely friendly, chatty crowd, so being alone for most of it didnt matter.

Race briefing was pretty hilarious, but told you what you needed to know, and then we wandered up the towpath of the river to the swim start. The sun was beating down at that stage, which was lovely. Watched the first wave go off with trepidation, telling myself how bloody stupid I was to enter in the first place. The river was flowing fast and looked cold! Into the water, (second wave 750m) we had to swim about 200m to the start point, which was tricky to get everyone together because the current was strong. I didnt hear a gun or a shout or anything, but all of a sudden everyone else was swimming, so I did too. Tried to keep it relaxed, but my lack of training showed. By 200m I was getting dizzy which has never happened before, and was heading for the right bank which I really didnt want. Apparently I cant steer when I swim front crawl. :) Slightly panicked about how in the hell I would get through it, I rolled over and swam backstroke, which got me back together a bit. Alternated front crawl/backstroke all the way down. My brand new sh1t hot aquaspheres fogged so badly I was practically blind :mad:, it was a struggle to see the marker buoy for the finish. Did kick madly coming to the finish but the earlier dizziness didnt leave and I had to walk past the timing mats, I thought Id fall over if I ran. :) But by the time I got onto the grass it was all improving. Swim time was a remarkable 13mins thanks to the current, a time I will spend the rest of my life trying to pb!

A slow transition, over 3 mins, thanks to a wetsuit that didnt want to leave me and fumbly shoelaces (no bike shoes yet, Ive enough to work on), and out for the bike. Spun out the legs for the first bit, getting used to it. The only major hill on the route was a doddle, compared to the other bike events Ive done, and from there it was undulationg and easy enough. Looking back I know I could have done more, but I wasnt sure how the legs would hold up later, so I was keeping energy back. Ill know better the next time. Enjoyed the bike, which is how I know I went to slow. 46mins there, lots to improve on.

A faster transition 1.40 or so, and out for the run. As is normal I felt like I was running with chopsticks for legs for the first mile, which was slow, then they eased out and I picked up my more normal pace. Once I got to the halfway point and water stop I was doing fine, though the sun was really hot from that point on. Passed a few people here, I kept looking to the next person in front and trying to take them, but it was hard. Very glad to see the finish line coming up. Run time was just under 28mins, which I was happy with. It was good that Id done the longer adventure races before this, as it made this event very doable (apart from the swim!)

Total time was 1hr 31, which I will be a long time beating, because of that swim. But hey, its done, onwards to Bunclody in two weeks, where the swim will be slower, but hopefully Ill do more on the bike and run. Ive cracked the nut anyway, and achieved what I set out to do in October, when I could neither bike nor swim. It can only improve from here!

Sea swim tonight. Worked hard at 750m or so. Its not getting easier, but it is getting better. Did a 5k warm up afterwards, which I was glad I did, it didnt drain me and I was lovely and warm after it. Makes tea by the fire after so much nicer too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great race report and well done on the first tri!

Once you've done one tri swim start, it gets a lot easier.

Remember, the next time, there will be so many others planking themselves as it will be their first time:)

Thanks Izoard. And again, good luck for your own race. Cant wait to hear how it goes.

Got in the pool early this morning. Did 60 lengths. Im still a p!ss poor swimmer :D, so it was a bit stop start yet again. Began by doing sets of 2 lengths, with a short stop, then sets of 4, then 6, 8, and last, 10. Took me about 40 mins. Like I said, slow. But for the first time 10 lengths felt ok, and I wasnt pooped by the end of it. So its coming. Its like running was at the beginning. At first its so hard you wonder how people do it, then slowly you begin to run more and walk less, and you thread runs together till you dont walk at all, and then you have a eureka day when it suddenly works and you enjoy it. Today swimming felt a bit like one of those eureka days.

Out on my bike this morn. 16 miles including a few nasty hills. 14mph av cos of them.

In other news, saw my physio yesterday. I have the beginnings of plantar fascitis in my foot. Oh joy. i wonder if thats down to the bike rather than the running, because I havent been going mad with the running. At least its getting treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nice race report. Im gonna do 1 or 2 duathlons through the remainder of this summer and autumn but the only thing putting me off doing a tri os the swimming part. ****ting a brick!

ULstudent wrote: »
    Nice race report. Im gonna do 1 or 2 duathlons through the remainder of this summer and autumn but the only thing putting me off doing a tri os the swimming part. ****ting a brick!
    Well I couldnt swim more than half a length in October, and had no technique. I promise you if I can do this, so can you. But it is a matter of pushing yourself. I swam all winter, but didnt make any gains till about 6 weeks ago when I got proper coaching and started training hard as the event was looming.

You doing Hellfire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Im doing humpty dumpty but thats not til october so im looking to get one done in august and maybe another one done in between. Must take a look over at trunireland and see what takes my fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Oryx well done on your first tri, I'll be in Bunclody aswell so I'll keep an eye out for you, I'll be in my Boards singlet.
    How did you find remembering the rules and stuff regarding helmet and drafting. I got the tri795 rules and regs during the week and I can see myself messing up :D

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi Oryx well done on your first tri, I'll be in Bunclody aswell so I'll keep an eye out for you, I'll be in my Boards singlet.
    How did you find remembering the rules and stuff regarding helmet and drafting. I got the tri795 rules and regs during the week and I can see myself messing up :D
    I know a lot of it is common sense, and it is less scary when youre actually doing it. I forgot to put on my bike gloves during T1, but remembered the helmet at least! Didnt draft... or at least didnt get caught, 7m is hard to judge. :)

Thats one heck of a pdf book from tri795. Very professional. Will be nervous about the swim, again. Nowhere to hide in a pool lane. :D See ya there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Fair play Oryx on your first tri it was great to meet you on the day
    I look forward to seeing you again in Bunclody
    I'm gonna be racing Tri795 as it turns out :)

@ woddle, don't worry about the rules that much, they're not as complicated as you might think. Just remember 1) Put your helmet on before you touch your bike 2) don't stay behind someone on the bike - pass them out instead 3) only get on your bike after the mount line 4) go like the clappers and do it all with a smile!

In the pool this morning again at 7.30. And it felt good, I must be mad.

Tried to build up the number of continuous lengths I can do, so did 3 x 4length sets, 3 x 8 lengths sets, 1 x 12, and 1 x 14. Then 4 slow careful warmdown lengths trying to have perfect technique. Total of 66 lengths in just under 40mins.

Better. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hi Oryx just catching up on your log now. Well don on your tri that was a good race and funny report too :) I always like the humour in your reports. Apart from the evil that is the swim I'm sure it was a walk in the park in comparison to WAR or Tough Guy?

Hi Oryx just catching up on your log now. Well don on your tri that was a good race and funny report too :) I always like the humour in your reports. Apart from the evil that is the swim I'm sure it was a walk in the park in comparison to WAR or Tough Guy?
    Thanks. :) It was very easy compared to WAR, felt like you were just halfway when it was over, and TG is just a whole other kettle of fish anyway. Its so warm now I cant even get my head around the thought of wading through ice again in January 2011. Brrrr. :D

Saturday:
    Had a lie in today, got out for a run at half eight. :) Had to get over a ditch at the start, (dont ask) and ran through some pampas grass, which I never knew is like razor blades on bare legs. My legs now look like I got whipped. :)

Did 6kms in 34 mins. Was drizzling and misty and windy, but a lovely day to run all the same, quiet out, and cool. Not a fast run, but none of them are these days!

Out this morning on the bike, did 24 miles, and did try to up my speed, average pace 15mph, and there were a few rotten hills. Then into the pool, where I did 2 warm up lengths, then tried 26 lengths continuous, 520m, to see how long it took. 13 mins total which Im very happy with as I felt ok after. Did another set of 14 which took 7 mins. Then did a mix of sets to bring the total up to 60 lengths. All in all a really good mornins work, and Im buzzing after it. :)

Then into the pool, where I did 2 warm up lengths, then tried 26 lengths continuous, 520m

Are we creating a friendly rivalry? :D
    Tomorrow I'm doing 525m :D
    Great stuff with the 520m, I tried to re-create my 500m this morning but was too tired and too many bodies in the lanes.

Ya always pick up speed when youve got someone to catch. ;) Bunclody will be competitive, ha:-)

Bet youll annihilate my 520 tomorrow..

Bet youll annihilate my 520 tomorrow..

Doubt it, the London tri is on bbc2 now if you've any interest.

Missed that tri on tv but thanks anyway. :)

Sea swim today. Found it hard. Suppose its like that, some days are great some not so good. But put in the effort and got it done, 750m untimed. Meant to run but its been a hard week and Im tired. So I skipped it. Ill make up for it on Sunday anyway. :)

For the record (so I can look back and know) I am totally wrecked today. 6 days training on the trot along with an afternoons physical work yesterday has me worn out. But will have a gentle week of training, and am looking forward to Bunclody.

I just read Izoards IM report, and it has made me twitch. Whatever it takes, my plan for next year is going to include a Half IM. (I would only ever get to do a full IM if I also got divorced, I reckon. :D) That will be my main aim next year... 70.3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

(I would only ever get to do a full IM if I also got divorced, I reckon. :D) That will be my main aim next year... 70.3.

Ahh, the rot has started. Only a short hop from 70.3 to 140.6 in 2012:D

In fairness, I reckoned I'd be heading for the divorce courts for signing up to the IM, but no solicitor's letters have arrived (yet).

Advertisement