Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer v Rat

Options
  • 28-10-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

When I moved in to my new house a couple of years ago we got rats out the back garden now and again.Behind the house is a small stream and a farmers field.
    We got a boxer dog a year later and haven't seen a rat since (fingers crossed) I was just wondering is it cause of the dog that the rats don't come back anymore or is it cause it was a new house and they may have been disturbed during the build and now moved on. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lira

Don't think it's your dog.
    We have a boxer dog and last summer when the neighboring kids dropped their crisps packets and food wrappers on the road outside our garden we got a big fat rat visiting our garden every day. She would come into the garden even when the dog was there.
    The rat only disappeared when we borrowed a cat for a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

It could well be the dog. Our estate is suffering from a plague of rats due to one neighbour who erected a pigeon loft. Everyone complains about rats in their gardens. Our garden was only affected once. Our two JRT's took off after the offending vermin like bats out of hell and he escaped through the hedge by a centimeter of his tail. Since then they've avoided our garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Rats will avoid dogs, that goes without saying-there smart though so if they notice the dog is not interested in them then they will come in if necessary, this would be rare though.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

My red boxer who died a few months back was like a cat, he use to catch mice all the time & a couple of rats over the years! The maniac use to bring the mice in & show them to my mom,ah the comedy especially when they were still alive & he'd play with them infront of her! :D

Advertisement