Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant access site by web address only by I.P.

Options
  • 28-10-2009 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,

I think this is probabgly something simple but im hosting a site on our work server which is visable to the outside world (ouside our firewall) using the web address e.g. http://www.domainname.com but i cant access inside the firewall but i can access it using the IP address its sitting on.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

You cant resolve the external address .. which some firewalls and other software issues do for security purposes

You can add an A-record to the internal DNS to internal IP address provided that your internal DNS is not being used to respond to requests from external/internet users

Check with your SysAdmin about it

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

How long sice you registered the domain name ? maybe it hasnt fully propagated around the net yet ?

If you want the address to temporarily reslove you can add the ip and domain to your local hosts file, this will save you modifying your internal DNS server as Ginger suggests

In windows the host file is at:
    \Windows\system32\drivers\etc\

cant remember where it is in Linux,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

cant remember where it is in Linux,
    Generally it is /etc/hosts

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Had something similar before. Turned out that the internal proxy's had the old IP cached for the url that I was trying to access. Needed to get the support guys to flush the cache. Worked fine after.

Advertisement