Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New lens for D40

• 28-10-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭

Im going to the states next week and I am thinking of buying a new lens.
    I already have the 18 - 55 kit lens and an 18 - 200 nikon lens.
    Looking for suggestions really. Was thinking of trying to get a macro lens.
    Also if anyone knows of somewhere in CA thats good value, will be in LA and San Fran also will be in Vegas.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

avoid the dxs if you ever think you'll upgrade

the 105 2.8 macro is pretty sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I bought the 35mm prime AF-S DX recently - great lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Check with Fenster (he lives in Vegas), but from my knowledge buy in CA not Vegas you should get a better price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

Thanks for the replies.

I was planning on upgrading to a D90 at some stage, I was looking here and I thought the DX's were supported on D90.
    Wow the 105 is dear.
    dudara wrote: »
    I bought the 35mm prime AF-S DX recently - great lens

I like the look of the 35mm prime lens, how much did you get it for? I see its about $219 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0
    Since the D90 isnt full frame then would the 35mm still produce results as on the D40?

I seen a few posts regarding the buying of cameras in Vegas and it seems there limited places and value, I was hoping CA would be better value alright. Will also be in Vancouver if anyone knows of anywhere there?

zdooldreb wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I was planning on upgrading to a D90 at some stage, I was looking here and I thought the DX's were supported on D90.
    Wow the 105 is dear.

I like the look of the 35mm prime lens, how much did you get it for? I see its about $219 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0

I seen a few posts regarding the buying of cameras in Vegas and it seems there limited places and value, I was hoping CA would be better value alright. Will also be in Vancouver if anyone knows of anywhere there?

I've a D90 and unless you upgrade to a full frame the DX lenses will work fine. Nikon, I believe, D700 is the begining of Full Frame and is pricey so unless you are going that route DX are fine.
    I am from Seattle which is about 200km from Vancouver, I would check the exchange rate before buying in Canada, but even then the prices are sometimes better in Canada.

Shame you are not going to Seattle the best camera shop is Glazers.

Oh and if you have time Granville is a must see. The market is nice and the artists studios and galleries are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hummm tbh, d40 - d90 isnt a huge jump. if you get into photography, a d700 is the logicl step imo from the d xx's. you can still use them on the semi pro cams but at a crop factor mp wise... the 35mm isgreat heard good reviews but it'll be pretty crud on a d700. i'd look for a cheap non dx, if its macro even a 50mm 1.8, manual only but for macro its not gonna be a big issue

hummm tbh, d40 - d90 isnt a huge jump. if you get into photography, a d700 is the logicl step imo from the d xx's. you can still use them on the semi pro cams but at a crop factor mp wise... the 35mm isgreat heard good reviews but it'll be pretty crud on a d700. i'd look for a cheap non dx, if its macro even a 500mm 1.8, manual only but for macro its not gonna be a big issue

Woah 500mm 1.8 does that exist?

Woah 500mm 1.8 does that exist?

emmmmmm yeah.... right....here

<corrects post>

emmmmmm yeah.... right....here

<corrects post>

:o ahh i was hoping there was and I in my ignorance just didn't know.

OP, if you can find one of these you should be able to get it for a reasonable price.

thanks folks.
    The D700 is a bit too epensive, for the moment anyway :P
    I like the idea of having auto focus so I dont have to manually focus outside of macro situations.

• Advertisement

The 35mm prime AF-S DX isnt listed as a micro lens, how does it perform for macro shots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

zdooldreb wrote: »
    Since the D90 isnt full frame then would the 35mm still produce results as on the D40?
    Due to the smaller sensor the 35mm DX is the rough equivalent of the 50mm prime on a full frame camera.

I bought mine in Jessops in London for stg180 (I think). Nice inexpensive piece of kit.

Here are some my shots from the lens - I don't know how it would work for macro as I'm not into that. I still haven't the lens entirely figured out but I'm getting there.

4051571204_fb04f8ea6f.jpg

4047423341_fae21732e8.jpg

4048163500_1253050b0e.jpg

Advertisement