Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweedy Group - The Aftermath

Options
  • 28-10-2009 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Granted 100 days protection by the courts today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

great now there'll be no place to go at night with over priced drink

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Just when the monopoly was broken with escape opening!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

The writing has been on the wall for a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

What pubs/clubs are they?

i agree he had it way too good for a long time and abused his position.
    he never renovated anything and its just sad now that young people going out will have to suffer for this again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

:( Rubys, Muldoons, Masons, Oskars, Oxygen, the Woodman, Park Inn, Bad Bobs, they're all not gonna close down are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Daysha wrote: »
    :( Rubys, Muldoons, Masons, Oskars, Oxygen, the Woodman, Park Inn, Bad Bobs, they're all not gonna close down are they?
    It genuinely amazes me how such a monopoly could be achieved in the 1st place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

Daysha wrote: »

This could be seen as a good thing. Something different might open up

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Oskars and masons always seam to be pretty empty. cant imagine anyone jumping to take control of any of those. Rubys must have been carrying all the others.

hopefully a few buyers might come in and buy a few individual pubs andthis monopoly can be broken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Holes the lot of them. A bit of competition between them all is whats needed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waynecarr wrote: »
    Granted 100 days protection by the courts today

May I ask... any publicly available source on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Tweedy is a bit of an odd character. A friend used to work in Muldoons, Oxygen etc. and one night when things were quiet, Tweedy sent him down to Harveys (owned by some John Kavanagh fella) to see what deals they were doing coz apparently Tweedy didn't want Harveys reducing drink prices and giving better deals and therefore take away his customers. Talk about being paranoid, as if he didn't own more or less everything down there! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Tweedy is a bit of an odd character. A friend used to work in Muldoons, Oxygen etc. and one night when things were quiet, Tweedy sent him down to Harveys (owned by some John Kavanagh fella) to see what deals they were doing coz apparently Tweedy didn't want Harveys reducing drink prices and giving better deals and therefore take away his customers. Talk about being paranoid, as if he didn't own more or less everything down there! :pac:

How is it odd to see what the competition are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Coz they apparently had an agreement with each other that they wouldn't reduce prices/offer better deals, thus robbing each other of customers, sorry should of put thatin my OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

In retail this is a normal practice. I've been doing it up in cork this week actually. I like to think i'm james bond and take pics on my camera phone and everything :D:D

IMO, no harm out of all the above I would say I have only been in masons and the woodman for the last couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Oskars is run by a different company and has been for the last 6 months or so. Bad Bobs and Park Inn are owned by Bob Snr and have nothing to do with this examinership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

what's the source behind this?

The Munster might trip over the information in time for the late edition on Friday.

It's true anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Coz they apparently had an agreement with each other that they wouldn't reduce prices/offer better deals, thus robbing each other of customers, sorry should of put thatin my OP!

Would this not count as a cartel? Even if it isn't technically, it's hardly good that they agree to not have competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

I can't find any independent verification of this story online. In the absence of such, should this discussion be taking place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

durrus wrote: »
    I can't find any independent verification of this story online. In the absence of such, should this discussion be taking place?

Why would it be online? It only happened today. It is true. There's a meeting for all staff taking place now. To be honest some of the reactions in this thread are sickening. How would people react if there was similar responses to the situation in Waterford Crystal? (I'm not comparing the two situations obviously).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

durrus wrote: »

Gonna give him a few more hours to give... if none is provided, I shall close until verified. :)

It's already been verified by two people who work for the company. Why do you need more verification?

It's already been verified by two people who work for the company. Why do you need more verification?

I cant verify that anybody here works for the company. Anybody can claim to be part of a company. Sure, I can claim to work for Apple and Google - how can you prove me wrong?

There is a specific line in the charter to avoid this type of thread with no trustworthy source we can all verify due to complaints received in the past when such claims were confirmed to be false (despite "people from within/reliable sources" claims) and the employers were not happy with Boards.

You don't work for Apple & Google?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You don't work for Apple & Google?!!

I did, but Micheal Dell personally visited me and asked that I help out Dell. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Bad news for all the staff working for Tweedy, but i cant see them shutting up shop, but at the end of the day people dont have the money to be spending as they did before, and drink in clubs is robbery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

Slightly off topic here, but I believe oxygen hold "teen disco nights"... what irritates me is when alcohol is found among the teenagers it's canceled straight away, all well and good. However the large group 20-30 + decide to all go to the cinema, girls 13-16 done up as if they were in their 20's.

I like to think Tweedy is preparing them for Rubys 2-3 years down the line. The place is a **** hole anyways.

Advertisement