Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweedy Group - The Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I have a feeling a club that is closed at the moment, might be re opening in the near future, time will tell:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I have a feeling a club that is closed at the moment, might be re opening in the near future, time will tell:)
    The Bowery?

As for the Indie club in Oxygen, I'll definitely welcome it. The Forum (or should I say Traffik) is struggling at the moment but I don't think this is because of lack of demand, moreso because of its image and the shift in trends of music taste (i.e. the line between Indie and Pop/Dance is becoming more and more blurred). I doubt that the Forum will be able to enter into any form of price competition with any other club that runs an Indie night as I'd imagine their margins are already very thin, if not negative, no thanks to their free before 12 promotion which they're now locked into!

At the time I was a bit disappointed that Flash didn't incorporate some kind of Indie option into his new venture, so I'm delighted that Oxygen are going to try make a go of it.

No not the bowery, but I did hear Langton’s of kk were interested in the Bowery would be a good spot for food during the day with the new Glass Centre opening, I love Indie myself and it would be great to see, but Indie isn’t commercial the majority out in Ruby’s, Escape and Harvey’s, want to hear chart muck, especially the younger crowd that really go to the clubs, Maybe if they had it in a section of Oxygen it could go ok, but I couldn’t see it the filling the whole club for an indie night and especially the way Waterfords night life is at the moment, the crowd are just not there, and drink is still to expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

AdMMM wrote: »
    What's this I see on Facebook about Panic, an Indie club starting in Oxegen? Any insight in what to expect Adyx?

Actually no I don't. :o I saw that on Facebook too but nobody bothers to tell me anything any more. I would be 99% certain it will be free in through Muldoons though as we don't use the paydesk any more. When I find out more I'll let ye know but I have to say I'll be delighted if it happens.
    Maybe if they had it in a section of Oxygen it could go ok, but I couldn’t see it the filling the whole club for an indie night and especially the way Waterfords night life is at the moment, the crowd are just not there, and drink is still to expensive

One of the advantages of Oxygen is that most of the club can be closed off. Just the Bar Red section and the Balcony (for toilets etc) can be used. It has it's own little dancefloor, lighting and DJ area. Also we're working on the prices but we do have very good promos at the moment.

I'm gonna stop now because I have no interest in advertising on Boards. :)

nkay1985 wrote: »
    All of that sounds like positive changes. Good to see Muldoons finally getting the lick of paint it's been begging for for years. I think Tweedy could have learned a few things from this person!

If this is true, I'd see it as another hugely positive change. A club that's become quite unpopular changing it up and offering something different. If done right, it could give people an alternative to The Forum if they want to be in around the centre of town.

In fairness Muldoons was actually completely repainted only a couple of years ago. Unfortunately nothing last for long in this industry and the money wasn't there to do it again. We're saving money this time by doing it ourselves which also gives a few extra hours to the staff.

I hope it does give an alternative to the forum not just professionally but personally too. I don't like the Forum but I also can't stand chart music so it might be somewhere for me to go now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I love Indie myself and it would be great to see, but Indie isn’t commercial the majority out in Ruby’s, Escape and Harvey’s, want to hear chart muck, especially the younger crowd that really go to the clubs, Maybe if they had it in a section of Oxygen it could go ok, but I couldn’t see it the filling the whole club for an indie night

I see your point and that's always going to be the argument but, from a business perspective, if there are fou clubs competing for a high number of people and you're getting the smallest share, then your best option is to target a different crowd and attract a large proportion of that. The numbers might end up not being too different.

With it only being one night, it could end up doing alright and it doesn't hurt to try. Will definitely have to be well publicised though because the kind of person who'd be into that sort of night wouldn't go to Oxygen and, likewise, the people that go to Oxygen wouldn't go to that sort of night! They'd have to be very conscious not to fudge it by trying to find a middle ground too.

Adyx wrote: »
    In fairness Muldoons was actually completely repainted only a couple of years ago. Unfortunately nothing last for long in this industry and the money wasn't there to do it again. We're saving money this time by doing it ourselves which also gives a few extra hours to the staff.

I hope it does give an alternative to the forum not just professionally but personally too. I don't like the Forum but I also can't stand chart music so it might be somewhere for me to go now as well.

Good to hear that they're giving the staff a few hours alright. And it would be great if it's done right. Here's hoping eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

indie?? ahh for f*ck sake not even real music its pop music using guitars, i want some good old fashioned " yes these are guitars and there gonna sound like it too" rock music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

adyx, is it tru Theres a new manager in muldoons? Heard it from one of the lads in rubys the other day. It would explain all these fresh ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ledger the fresh ideas have nothing to do with a new manager...it's to do with new owners i.e the bank.

The venues are making money again cause all the money is going where it's supposed to be going. They want to put a couple of quid into Muldoons but their budgets are still very tight. The staff of Muldoons, adyx included, were always the best people to consult about ideas for that place..they had lots of good ones in their time but they were never consulted and it looks like they're still not being consulted. Indie nights struggle in the centre of town unfortunately.

The "new" manager in Muldoons is someone who has worked in rubys since the beginning.

Have to say it's kinda mad how masons is now in competition with rubys and Muldoons

Ledger the fresh ideas have nothing to do with a new manager...it's to do with new owners i.e the bank.

The venues are making money again cause all the money is going where it's supposed to be going. They want to put a couple of quid into Muldoons but their budgets are still very tight. The staff of Muldoons, adyx included, were always the best people to consult about ideas for that place..they had lots of good ones in their time but they were never consulted and it looks like they're still not being consulted. Indie nights struggle in the centre of town unfortunately.

The "new" manager in Muldoons is someone who has worked in rubys since the beginning.

Have to say it's kinda mad how masons is now in competition with rubys and Muldoons

sorry man but i think you kinda picked me up wrong i was askin bout de new manager but was just trying to lighten the mood, a lot of people (myself included) have been getting very depressed about all this. But i was working today (incidentally, delivering to rubys and masons) thinking about all this and just realised its a great day, i got family and friends etc and im working (i apologise to those who are not) so i might aswell just smile and get on with it. :) and im afraid i would have to disagree with you while ur right in saying the banks want change and money back the new ideas i think would be down to the manager. Adyx ur free to correct me ha

• Advertisement

Well to be honest the managers in each venue were always coming up with great ideas about improving the business. Some were implemented and didn't work, others were just shot down due to budget constraints or (mainly) to prevent one venue taking a crowd from the other venue. The managers in each venue were always very limited in what they were allowed do by the "higher management".

Yes there is a "new" manager but as pointed out he's worked in Ruby's for a long time so he's not a stranger and our previous assistant manager left several weeks ago to manage a bar in London so someone was needed. Certainly he's brought new ideas but everyone in Muldoons was encouraged to put forward any ideas they had for the place by management and by the receivers. The difference now is that the receivers are willing to implement these ideas (with some constraints obviously). Hence the painting and decorating, change in music policy etc.

Edit: I had a great idea once actually for a smoking area in Oxygen. People don't realise this but the toilets in Oxygen are basically a prefab on the roof of our store so I suggested knocking a hole in the wall and putting decking down over the flat roof beside the toilets. Needless to say, it didn't happen. :(

Edit: I had a great idea once actually for a smoking area in Oxygen. People don't realise this but the toilets in Oxygen are basically a prefab on the roof of our store so I suggested knocking a hole in the wall and putting decking down over the flat roof beside the toilets. Needless to say, it didn't happen. :(

Was this pre-harvey's?

Good Idea about the smoking area, If a venue could get as good a smoking area as Harveys they would be half way there.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Was this pre-harvey's?

Yep, it was when Kavanaghs still owned Muldoons. I know it doesn't come close to what they did in Harveys, but there is limited space and there were constant objections to any planning permission for a major revamp.

Yep, it was when Kavanaghs still owned Muldoons.

Ahead of your time Adyx. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

you possibly may have put the smoking area idea in the kavs heads? ?

you possibly may have put the smoking area idea in the kavs heads? ?

Well I wouldn't go that far, what I had suggested was a fairly small area and nothing fancy. To be honest at the time I was only a barman so I suggested it to my manager rather than the Kavanaghs themselves. I know it was discussed at a meeting they had though.

adyx, nice one on the smokin room idea in muldoons.

sure isnt it tru that fitzy got into trouble with owners of building cuz technically they didnt have right to use yard for smoking area and the garage for empties and stuff? afaik though they were able to come to some kind of deal.

Legder

Ledger wrote: »
    adyx, nice one on the smokin room idea in muldoons.

sure isnt it tru that fitzy got into trouble with owners of building cuz technically they didnt have right to use yard for smoking area and the garage for empties and stuff? afaik though they were able to come to some kind of deal.

Legder

I'm not really sure what happened there to be honest. I don't think they use the yard for smoking any more but I neither smoke nor visit Rubys all that often so...

Both places are very limited in what they can do without a lot of rebuilding. There was a design planned for Muldoons/Oxygen by Bob that would have been amazing if it had gotten permission and money. It was much better than my idea but would have entailed a major rebuild.

Edit: Actually I think Rubys use in front of Regans shop for a smoking area these days. I've seen the awning put down when the weather is bad.

Ah right well they do still use the garage so maybe its on the quiet so. . . . . . . .pity that plan never materialised muldoons has never been used to its full potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mark17

I have no sympathy for him, back in the eighties when his daddy bought Heeries shop for him and he turned it into the Pulpit bar, remember nobody had anything then, this eejit was looking down his snot at us all in his porche. We all grew up together, and suddenly Tweedy didn't want to know any of us. He was on a cloud I'm glad he's in trouble...............................

I think its probably time to lock this old girl down eh? Looks like the Tweedy Group saga is over for good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

mark17 wrote: »
    I have no sympathy for him, back in the eighties when his daddy bought Heeries shop for him and he turned it into the Pulpit bar, remember nobody had anything then, this eejit was looking down his snot at us all in his porche. We all grew up together, and suddenly Tweedy didn't want to know any of us. He was on a cloud I'm glad he's in trouble...............................

Good olde oirish begrudgery - you can't bate it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

mark17 wrote: »

Amazing the amount of people I heard that from.. or '' pity it didnt happen to the Kavanaghs instead'' heard that from few others too..

Must be some sort of inbuilt thing not to like certain people who are flash with their (or the their banks) cash

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is it true that Paul McDaid is now the manager of Masons? Quite a fall from grace if it's true.

Manager/consultant/hired help from the banks.

Paul is a lovely guy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

heard that he has changed his name to '' haven't a bob tweedy'' now , not too sure if its true but it could well be:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Manager/consultant/hired help from the banks.

Paul is a lovely guy tbh.

so, fill me in here, It's been a long time since i've been round da deise - are all the Tweddy Venues now in posession of the banks?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    so, fill me in here, It's been a long time since i've been round da deise - are all the Tweddy Venues now in posession of the banks?

After this weekend, yes, all of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

who is paul mcdaid?

Advertisement