Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweedy Group - The Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ex GM of The Tower Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ex Head of The Tower/FBD Hotel Group
    FYP.

indeed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note:
    Right well I think the Tweedy Group is being sorted via other means, now owned by the banks and I assume Tweedy no longer runs/owns the said businesses. Lets hope the set of businesses can be saved and run under a new owner without the need for banks control without effecting staff levels.

If this is the case, then perhaps its time we closed this thread? If people wish to discuss how Rubys is changing - for the good or bad - or if they shut up/jobs losses etc. then by all means create a new topic but the original one which is nearing 30 pages has served its purposes and is now more waffle and general "Tweedy Group Chit Chat" since Tweedy has parted company.

Ill give it 24 hours and if anybody has objections, do let me know :)

Perhaps change the name of the thread, but don't close it. This thread serves as a timeline for the developments over the past few months and can continue to serve a purpose a thread dedicated to the discussion of the development and continued operations of bars that were previously part of the group. It will be a long time before people stop associating the bars with Bob Tweedy (for the same reasons why people continue to associate the Irish Open with Murphy's) so I believe the thread has some potential, especially as we see how the bars start to compete with one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

AdMMM,

i like your thinking, it would let us see how it all eventually unfolds, because the true reprecussions of all this wont come to light for a while.

yes by the way i do realise i seem to be changing my mind a bit but im not. :P

Ledger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'd agree with the two lads. I see no value in closing it just to start a number of other threads. A name change and it'd be grand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Suggested name changes folks. :P

Tweedy - The Aftermath

its the next hollywood blockbuster :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    Suggested name changes folks. :P

You could just go literal and call it "Former Tweedy Group Venue Discussion" or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

and you could possibly sticky it too!!!!!?

Ledger wrote: »
    Tweedy - The Aftermath

its the next hollywood blockbuster :p:D

This one sounds a bit better with a slight ammendment.

Nope, wont be stickied :p

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Nitelife after Bob :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

" bob, but not forgotten" or "seedy tweedy got greedy but now he feels needy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I'm beginning to think he is just delusional now.

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhcwgbojmh&cat=news

The article says he still owns a pub. Which one is this?

Does he still own Bad Bobs and the Park Inn?

Was unaware Tweedy owned EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magpie30

i think he has EA leased to 2/3 people

This is too confusing :confused:

So he (in the past anyway) owned Muldoons, leased the woodman, and owned EA and Oskars, but leased them out?

I thought Bad Bobs/Park Inn was owned by his father?

He owned ten and ea. Ea was leased from him.

The one they refer to when they say "all but one" is Oskars but that will go back to the banks shortly.

Park inn and bad bobs are his fathers'.

The consortium he's trying to put together is ambitious to say the least. Its going to be hard for him
    to recover and he's obviously going to have to do it under someone else's name. I personally hope he does come back in some capacity but he should start small and modestly...something he won't be used to.

I think he's done a lot for waterford, many things that most people won't even be aware of. He made mistakes and enjoyed things too much when the going was good...but injected a lot
    of money into the region's
    economy - he deserves a chance to make a comeback.

In other news...the city is officially dying. It's times like these I wish I lived in a small town with or club and 10 bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

He owned ten and ea. Ea was leased from him.

The one they refer to when they say "all but one" is Oskars but that will go back to the banks shortly.

Park inn and bad bobs are his fathers'.

The consortium he's trying to put together is ambitious to say the least. Its going to be hard for him
    to recover and he's obviously going to have to do it under someone else's name. I personally hope he does come back in some capacity but he should start small and modestly...something he won't be used to.

I think he's done a lot for waterford, many things that most people won't even be aware of. He made mistakes and enjoyed things too much when the going was good...but injected a lot
    of money into the region's
    economy - he deserves a chance to make a comeback.

In other news...the city is officially dying. It's times like these I wish I lived in a small town with or club and 10 bars.

Couldnt agree more, but as I have said before drink is still to expensive people dont have the money and no effort being made to encouarge them out, But then again Harveys was packed most of the weekend, and the are seriously robbing people with their prices, Its a funny town:) or people must be blind

Spot on musicman. I could go on for pages and pages about what I think the problems are and how they can possibly be fixed, but people are sick of talking about it and in particular, me talking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

dayshah wrote: »
    This is too confusing :confused:

So he (in the past anyway) owned Muldoons, leased the woodman, and owned EA and Oskars, but leased them out?

I thought Bad Bobs/Park Inn was owned by his father?

As abouttobebanned said, yes, but the Woodman is kind of strange. I'm not sure if he owned that and just leased Ruby's or whether he leased the whole lot.

I wasn't in EA a lot but I'll still miss it. I was in there Monday night and while it was great having all the bands playing, it was kind of sad too. Reminded me of the night the Junction closed. :(

Bob bought the woodman so he could use the license on ruby's and hopefully the woodman would be a feeder bar for the club but this never happened.Rubys club and lounge are on a 38 year lease from Cathleen Fitzgearld who also own's George's Court.

But then again Harveys was packed most of the weekend, and the are seriously robbing people with their prices, Its a funny town:) or people must be blind
    Bob bought the woodman so he could use the license on ruby's and hopefully the woodman would be a feeder bar for the club but this never happened.Rubys club and lounge are on a 38 year lease from Cathleen Fitzgearld who also own's George's Court.

Musicman, yes i agree they are robbing people but the thing is some of the people in their might buy drinks but most of them will buy none or just one or two drinks.

Giles, just out of interest how long is left on that lease?

Sure the lift in masons has been broken for the last two months, and the stores are on the top floor. They have to carry all the cases and kegs up three and a half flights of stairs, and the get a lot of kegs every week.
    I really feel sorry for them.

Ledger

I don't agree with this 'town dying a death' talk.

Sure some places are closing. However I was in the Gingerman mid-week and there were about 20 people there, which is decent for mid-week. I was in Geoffs on the weekend and there was a decent crowd there too.

What will happen is that a few places will close, and these punters will go elsewhere, making other pubs look full.

As to prices, I think the real issue is not pub prices, but supermarket prices are too cheap :)
    Also something that really bugs me are televisions. I don't mind it being on when there is a match, but why do they show MTV at 23.30 when the music doesn't even match?

The town is dying a death.

LEDGER.
    Subtract the number of year's that Ruby's is open from 38 = answere.:rolleyes:

LEDGER.
    Subtract the number of year's that Ruby's is open from 38 = answere.:rolleyes:

Well i'm sorry giles but i dont know how long exactly, rubys is open. If i knew this i wouldnt have asked

Ledger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Rubys had their ten year anniversary party last year.... so there's your answer... 27 years left!

Advertisement