Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweedy Group - The Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Advertised today in the Independent. No guide but article beside it says there worth about 5m

a Carlow businessman had already offered 6.5m a few months back but courts rejected it or something

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Who thought it would be a good idea to plaster a 30ft sign across the side of both Ruby's and Muldoon's? It's not as if Mr Joe Public would walk past and place an offer thanks to it. I'm pretty sure that any prospective buyer has already been informed that the buildings are for sale and that the For Sale poster would only serve to deter people from going into the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

AdMMM wrote: »
    Who thought it would be a good idea to plaster a 30ft sign across the side of both Ruby's and Muldoon's? It's not as if Mr Joe Public would walk past and place an offer thanks to it. I'm pretty sure that any prospective buyer has already been informed that the buildings are for sale and that the For Sale poster would only serve to deter people from going into the place!

Very true. What's worse is there are 3 signs on each building. Tbh I don't think anyone from Waterford is going to be buying either venue anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I wonder how much they're going for. I'd imagine anyone with the money to buy them would probably get them for a bargain price. Hope whoever does buy them has the ability to run them properly. Both venus could be great with the right management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Anytime we tried to advertise stuff with outside signage the coucil told us to rip it down or we'd be fined...what's the difference here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Anytime we tried to advertise stuff with outside signage the coucil told us to rip it down or we'd be fined...what's the difference here?

friends in higher places. Apparently they are more important.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A for sale sign is a little different tho.

Sully wrote: »
    A for sale sign is a little different tho.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Why?

Hopefully the for sale sign is a one off, and will be taken down at the end of June.

Its not like they are permanently advertising there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why?

Because your selling the property, your not trying to sell goods and services WITHIN the property.

• Advertisement

But you're still selling SOMETHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Well when the for sale sign is 20ft long and Theres two of them along with the smaller signs its a bit overboard i think

I presume they're only getting away with it cause it's temporary but they're definitely over kill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Ledger wrote: »
    Well when the for sale sign is 20ft long and Theres two of them along with the smaller signs its a bit overboard i think

If they don't cover the broken windows and unused shop fronts, they're not big enough!

I was out in Oskars last night for some food and there were signs all over the place that the credit card / laser machine was out of use and the staff were at pains to tell anyone who came in. Sceptical?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

gscully wrote: »
    I was out in Oskars last night for some food and there were signs all over the place that the credit card / laser machine was out of use and the staff were at pains to tell anyone who came in. Sceptical?

You have right to be so. Hard cash is the order of the day.

Partizan wrote: »
    You have right to be so. Hard cash is the order of the day.

...and watery coke :D Food was nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Many in there?

I was out Saturday night and Harveys was METAL by normal standards. I'm guessing people are going there due to the others being for sale?

I'm less then happy about it, apart from the decent smoking room the one thing I like about Harveys is that it's that bit easier to walk around and get drinks In. It almost makes overpaying for the drinks worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Agree with you about Harvey’s, and the smoking area is the only thing going for the place, I hate going to the place, owned by ass holes, way over priced drink, unfriendly Staff, The worst sound System in the town, and crap music and djs, Hopefully who ever buys Oxygen or Ruby’s will give them a serious face lift, and make sure Harvey’s is empty every weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

gscully wrote: »
    If they don't cover the broken windows and unused shop fronts, they're not big enough!

Bling and Sinnots? Kavanaghs still own them. Good luck to whoever buys them, there's not much of a roof left in Bling after all that rain we had a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Agree with you about Harvey’s, and the smoking area is the only thing going for the place, I hate going to the place, owned by ass holes, way over priced drink, unfriendly Staff, The worst sound System in the town, and crap music and djs, Hopefully who ever buys Oxygen or Ruby’s will give them a serious face lift, and make sure Harvey’s is empty every weekend
    Excellent assesment,when they had their office over peigs i walked in on the then manager filling 3ltr smirnoff bottles with cheap russian vodka.The KRAY TWINS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

all i will say on this topic is that i hope these places stay as pubs and clubs but are run differently than before and that they will have more variety i.e one place playing hard rock n alternative and other music types in other pubs. This city is really lacking a place for a real music lover to go to....sure dance and hip hop gets the girls up and lads looking but some people want more than that.

all i will say on this topic is that i hope these places stay as pubs and clubs but are run differently than before and that they will have more variety i.e one place playing hard rock n alternative and other music types in other pubs. This city is really lacking a place for a real music lover to go to....sure dance and hip hop gets the girls up and lads looking but some people want more than that.

Mick...Muldoons don't play dance or hip hop. They play oldies. They even launched a night called "PANIC" which was, wait for it, an indie and alternative night. How many people turned up for it? Well you'll have to ask Adyx for the exact figures but I heard about 20. Ruby Lounge plays live music 7 nights a week. If the "Real" music lover can't find solace there then what hope has he got?

Twister Vics is there for the people that like Hard Rock, believe me, if I was going to run a bar, the last thing I'd be blaring out is hard rock. Women, as a rule (and excuse the sweeping generalisation, I know there are some women that like hard rock) don't like this kind of music they're the people that club owners want on their premises. 1. They drink more high margin drinks, and 2. Where women go, men follow.

Mick...Muldoons don't play dance or hip hop. They play oldies. They even launched a night called "PANIC" which was, wait for it, an indie and alternative night. How many people turned up for it? Well you'll have to ask Adyx for the exact figures but I heard about 20. Ruby Lounge plays live music 7 nights a week. If the "Real" music lover can't find solace there then what hope has he got?

Twister Vics is there for the people that like Hard Rock, believe me, if I was going to run a bar, the last thing I'd be blaring out is hard rock. Women, as a rule (and excuse the sweeping generalisation, I know there are some women that like hard rock) don't like this kind of music they're the people that club owners want on their premises. 1. They drink more high margin drinks, and 2. Where women go, men follow.

I would say the thing is that most people not just more women, dont like rock music. Which means in order for someone like me to have a rly good nite out i have to go to a pub or club which blares music i dont like all night rather than go to twister vicks a great pub but which seems to have less nd less people in it all the time. Tis a real pitty that most people dont start liking good proper music untill their 30 or upwards and then in the pubs eyes they dont matter cause they dont bring the business.

But you see you answered your own question there Mick...Twister Vics has less and less people in it cause the majority of people don't want to hear blaring music in their ears all night long. I think if they do, then they're should be a place for them to go.

There is a happy medium out there between the crap music that you hear in harveys (Seriously DJ, you're not at a wedding) to the alternative stuff that people want to hear.

I will say one thing in the defence of those DJs in Harveys though...there exists a type of customer, 99.9% female (.1% gay man) that will get quite abusive with you if you don't play the awful crap that they want (Dolly Parton, Bryan Adams, Cyndi Lauper)...a lot of women are very unpleasant when they're drunk...I find they are the type of women that are used to getting their own way at home and expect that to be extended to their night life.

It's not easy being a DJ (granted it's not as hard as actual work) - you want to play good music, but the majority of the crowd dont want good music. you have a choice, get abused and insulted by music snobs or take a nice wage to play what the kids and women want. Some DJS try to do both, and they're the ones I respect.

oh im not for a second complaining that that type of music is available or asking for a dull indifferent world. i guess really i just dont see why there can be so few people interested in music that wasnt created by a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Popquiz_hotshot

But you see you answered your own question there Mick...Twister Vics has less and less people in it cause the majority of people don't want to hear blaring music in their ears all night long. I think if they do, then they're should be a place for them to go.

There is a happy medium out there between the crap music that you hear in harveys (Seriously DJ, you're not at a wedding) to the alternative stuff that people want to hear.

I will say one thing in the defence of those DJs in Harveys though...there exists a type of customer, 99.9% female (.1% gay man) that will get quite abusive with you if you don't play the awful crap that they want (Dolly Parton, Bryan Adams, Cyndi Lauper)...a lot of women are very unpleasant when they're drunk...I find they are the type of women that are used to getting their own way at home and expect that to be extended to their night life.

It's not easy being a DJ (granted it's not as hard as actual work) - you want to play good music, but the majority of the crowd dont want good music. you have a choice, get abused and insulted by music snobs or take a nice wage to play what the kids and women want. Some DJS try to do both, and they're the ones I respect.

I agree about the djs getting hassled as it happened me a few times but in the end you have to play for the crowd & try accomadate where possible. Djs who want to play good music are also hampered by the music policies from managment.

some of the djs around town wouldnt stand a chance anywhere else!! esp in Harveys!!

I was in Masons a fri night back and even though it was quiet the dj was half asleep!! the sooner new owners come in and find fresh djs wanting to try and input new ideas then nothin will change as there is a clique.
    :pac:

Djs are not allowed over fresh ideas. They have to play what the girls want. This is my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I agree about the djs getting hassled as it happened me a few times but in the end you have to play for the crowd & try accomadate where possible. Djs who want to play good music are also hampered by the music policies from managment.

some of the djs around town wouldnt stand a chance anywhere else!! esp in Harveys!!

I was in Masons a fri night back and even though it was quiet the dj was half asleep!! the sooner new owners come in and find fresh djs wanting to try and input new ideas then nothin will change as there is a clique.
    :pac:

Stand a chance in Harveys? There is a lot of good commerical djs from where I have being out in Waterford, They are not djs in Harveys an I pod would do a better job or just do up a playlist on the juke box, To be honest I wouldnt blame the dj in Masons when the place is empty he is not going to be jumping and down in the dj box. It esay to say come up with new ideas and fresh djs at the end of the day its the same commercial chart crap that customers want to hear dosent matter what dj is playing them, personally I like to see a dj mix tunes and put in a bit of effort anyone can press play, at the end of the day people are just not going out in Waterford and dont have the money, The only half busy night is a Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Stand a chance in Harveys? There is a lot of good commerical djs from where I have being out in Waterford, They are not djs in Harveys an I pod would do a better job or just do up a playlist on the juke box, To be honest I wouldnt blame the dj in Masons when the place is empty he is not going to be jumping and down in the dj box. It esay to say come up with new ideas and fresh djs at the end of the day its the same commercial chart crap that customers want to hear dosent matter what dj is playing them, personally I like to see a dj mix tunes and put in a bit of effort anyone can press play, at the end of the day people are just not going out in Waterford and dont have the money, The only half busy night is a Saturday.

Personally I don't go out for the music, I go out for a chat. I like to have some background music, but I don't want to have to shout in peoples ears.

My theory is that if the music is loud you can't spend time talking, so you just spend your time drinking. Publicans don't make money by selling conversations.

I can't really complain about the music selection in Waterford. I mean there is the Forum and Geoffs. I'd like if the popular places (where the pretty girls are) played my sort of music. Unfortunately most girls like music that I think is crap :(

Advertisement