Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweedy Group - The Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000085767590&ref=search

Lot of people in work were saying it today as well, they had some sort of unofficial farewell night. Ruby's Lounge is closing tonight with drinks promotions for €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

As long as all the tweenies migrate to Escape and not the Forum i don't mind. I have a horrible feeling all of them heading to the forum and clashing with the regulars would go something like this.

Marching their way across Isengard Ballybricken.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

**** Escape and the Forum, where am I supposed to go now for a late drink with no Lounge or Woodman. Waterford is officially the ****test city in Ireland.* It's also 2 gigs a month we won't be getting any more too.

*Apart from Limerick obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Why would the new owners close ruby lounge and rubys just before the August bank holiday weekend :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Strange alright to close ahead of one of the busiest weekends of the year. Perhaps they are prioritizing being reopened in time for the student influx.

Good luck to all of the staff. I've had some great nights in there over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The obvious song that springs to mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

ahhh, will Rubys really be missed, stickey carpets,smelly jacks,dodgy dj's playing muck?.. in the past it needs to go and remain.

I look forward to the new version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

So both Rubys and Oxygen are closed?

Flash must be rubbing his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

mikeym wrote: »
    Why would the new owners close ruby lounge and rubys just before the August bank holiday weekend :confused:

CAuse they wipe their arse with fifty euro notes and got a couple of night clubs for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hate to be going out this weekend, seriously! It will be packed in the late night spots.

• Advertisement

That's only going to last a month, tops. And when the news places open Masons II, Bowery, Rubys II, Muldoons II, suddenly harveys and flashes will be under a heap of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Good,

keep all those smelly students away from my skittles cocktails :)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

CAuse they wipe their arse with fifty euro notes and got a couple of night clubs for free.[/QUOTE
    4 mil +,is far from free and the fact they had the borrowing power in these bleek enconmic time's is a testment to their business plan and if anyone was clenseing their rectum with leagal tender (illegal by the way) it was Robert and Ann Tweedy with their greed (i want it all and i want it now) and overspending which now appears to have been at the exspence of their suppliers and employee's.The Tweedy's got so much support over the years from the people of waterford and it ment nothing to them.The near derelict and rundown appearance on the outside that they allowed Rubys,masons(once the finest looking building for miles around) and muldoons fall into IMHO shows the contempt they had for our beautiful city.Abouttobebanned i think your anger is misdirected and no doubt by the time the new venue's open it will be 1000e cover charge,vodka and redbull 367e,cloak room 99e etc,etc,but as they say there is alway's light at the end of the tunell ,at least the buildings will be painted and due to their location will give a sense of life and investment to the many tourist's that use the main waterford to cork road every year instead of oozing doom and gloom.Lynchwood.

I'm not one bit angry Giles. Would be delighted to see these lads come down and make a good go of it.

Also, you clearly don't know as much as you think you do if you didn't understand why I said they got 2 free night clubs.

4 mil +,is far from free and the fact they had the borrowing power in these bleek enconmic time's is a testment to their business plan and if anyone was clenseing their rectum with leagal tender (illegal by the way) it was Robert and Ann Tweedy with their greed (i want it all and i want it now) and overspending which now appears to have been at the exspence of their suppliers and employee's.The Tweedy's got so much support over the years from the people of waterford and it ment nothing to them.The near derelict and rundown appearance on the outside that they allowed Rubys,masons(once the finest looking building for miles around) and muldoons fall into IMHO shows the contempt they had for our beautiful city.Abouttobebanned i think your anger is misdirected and no doubt by the time the new venue's open it will be 1000e cover charge,vodka and redbull 367e,cloak room 99e etc,etc,but as they say there is alway's light at the end of the tunell ,at least the buildings will be painted and due to their location will give a sense of life and investment to the many tourist's that use the main waterford to cork road every year instead of oozing doom and gloom.Lynchwood.

I think you'll find that Masons is now and always was one of the ugliest buildings in Waterford. Secondly, both Ruby's and Muldoon's were painted several times (inside and out) whilst owned by Bob and again after they went into receivership. The one thing Muldoon's doesn't need is painting but the appalling state of repair it's in now is the same as it was when he bought it from the Kavanaghs. Granted Bob didn't do enough to fix the place up, but he did a lot more than the Kavanaghs ever did.

Also, you clearly don't know as much as you think you do if you didn't understand why I said they got 2 free night clubs.

Perhaps you can explain. The stock was hardly worth €4million. Also Tweedy was offered more in March, but declined.

@Giles
    Since when was it illegal to wipe your bum with a €50?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Are they back open within a month? they will hardly be doing major work to Rubys so a lick of paint and a few bits on the interior, I wish them luck filling all these new Venues

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Are they back open within a month? they will hardly be doing major work to Rubys so a lick of paint and a few bits on the interior, I wish them luck filling all these new Venues

Luck, they will certainly need it. It will take more than a lick of paint to bring the life back into Waterford nightlife. I am dreading this weekend. Biggest weekend of the year for Waterford and half the venues are shut. The crowds into the few remaining city centre spots open will be unreal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Partizan wrote: »
    Luck, they will certainly need it. It will take more than a lick of paint to bring the life back into Waterford nightlife. I am dreading this weekend. Biggest weekend of the year for Waterford and half the venues are shut. The crowds into the few remaining city centre spots open will be unreal.

Will make driving through the city easier, though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Yeah Harveys will be packed anyway sat and sun, it was going to be that way anyway, and even worse with the Spraoi on, I just find it a very very strange decision to close Rubys and the Lounge especially as a few said one of the busiest weekends of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

daysha i kid you not,it is an offence to deface our legal tender such as drilling coin's so seen as the forementioned 50 could not be put back into ciruclation you GULITY.:D
    As for the Kavanaghs,"what would you expect out of a pig only a grunt".
    Because of Tweedys useually high standard people exspected more.Still in the dark about two free nite clubs:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

What will all the Tweedy Venue's closing for re-furb, apart from Harvey's are there any other late bar's in Waterford (city centre)? Have'nt
    been out in a while & I certainly don't want to be squashed into a corner in Harveys. Escape is only for da yoof.

What will all the Tweedy Venue's closing for re-furb, apart from Harvey's are there any other late bar's in Waterford (city centre)? Have'nt
    been out in a while & I certainly don't want to be squashed into a corner in Harveys. Escape is only for da yoof.

It'll probably end up with plenty of outdoor drinking, and will either be a complete disaster or fairly good like New Years 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

planned to be opening end of october.

Yea heard from a few ppl that monday nite continued well into tuesday morning. A fine farewell by the staff. :D

Ledger

Ledger wrote: »

The owners aren't stupid. Maybe they are up to something. It might make sense to close on probably the busiest weekend of the year if you were rushing to refurbish in time for WIT opening. But this, it makes no sense.

Ledger wrote: »

Yea heard from a few ppl that monday nite continued well into tuesday morning. A fine farewell by the staff. :D

Ledger

Yeah, had to call into Masons Tuesday morning to fix their tills and one poor fella was looking very much the worse for wear. Don't think he even made it home. :D

Poor martin haha

I was out in Wexford last night - what an eye opener. Just about every bar we went into was full. Incredible.

Compare that with Waterford weds night..all pubs had 5-6 people max in them and for late drinking there was 1 option - escape and there was about 90 people there 70% lesbians for some reason.

Enough with all the positive attitude crap...the night life in this "city" (there's a big laugh) is terrible and something needs to be done soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Adyx wrote: »
    Yeah, had to call into Masons Tuesday morning to fix their tills and one poor fella was looking very much the worse for wear. Don't think he even made it home. :D
    Poor martin haha

Yeah he didn't make it home at all got about half hours sleep in another house then came into masons for work.

Eyes like a mixo rabbit I'm telling ya! ha ha

Pile on two pallets of beer plus a load of kegs, all to be carried up the stairs to the third floor. Bad day for all i'm sure :D

Ledger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

No matter what night of the week you go out in Galway, the place is hopping. I know the University is a huge boost, but its people of all ages.

What do the people of Waterford do with their time? Is it the headquarters for the Pioneer's Association!?

Pubs in Waterford are rubbish, and thats just being honest. The options involve either standing for the whole night, mix it with the kids, get the ears blown off you so you can't talk or sit in somewhere empty. Very few places that you can sit, where there is the right mix between a bit of buzz while still allowing you to have a conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

its not that the pubs in waterford are ****, its that people in waterford dont want to go out anymore. no matter what is ever on offer its not good enough. all people here ever seem to do is follow the crowd. I have seen some very good comments made here on this fourm, but unfortunatly this does not represent waterford people as a whole. waterford in reality has not had a nightlife for a long time, 2 nights in a week which is now een gone to one night cant really be called a night life anymore. I have been around the bar scene for a long time now and the 2 biggest changes that has happened is 1. a bar that is not physically on Johns St is "off th beaten track" and no one will dare chance the dangerous walk to it as they might miss out on something from Johns St. no2. is the change in the people coming out, Waterford had such a decent sort of people coming out every night of the week 7 - 8 years ago but thats now gone for almost every night now, now its just scum around and that is a factor for the mid week scene. The pubs have themselves to blame for that, I saw it first hand where scum families who would never have gotten served before, were let back in to bars to fill the tills. That was all well and good on weekend nights when a pub was full and they were not noticed by anyone else but walk in to one or two of the bars on John st now midweek and they are still there and noone else, i know it stopped me and my mates who worked in bars going to a lot of bars beacusewe were the ones still refusing them. I think we shoud stop comparing waterford with cork or galway, we are not going to get to that stage for a long long time if ever, but look more at kilkenny and wexford and try to take somthing from that, they are still busy midweek and weekends, not what they were but much more than we have been for 3- years now. I hope that this new monopoly canges things for the better but i have my doubts, and i hope that after a year or so they dont start to think what have we taken on here, but they will see the difference in attitudes here in comparisson to most other town and cities alike.
    Rant Over

Advertisement