Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweedy Group - The Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

....and there was about 90 people there 70% lesbians for some reason.

So they all turned you down then, thats why they are lesbians?
    ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Just have the lesbians give you a show.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Santan wrote: »
    its not that the pubs in waterford are ****, its that people in waterford dont want to go out anymore. no matter what is ever on offer its not good enough. all people here ever seem to do is follow the crowd. I have seen some very good comments made here on this fourm, but unfortunatly this does not represent waterford people as a whole. waterford in reality has not had a nightlife for a long time, 2 nights in a week which is now een gone to one night cant really be called a night life anymore. I have been around the bar scene for a long time now and the 2 biggest changes that has happened is 1. a bar that is not physically on Johns St is "off th beaten track" and no one will dare chance the dangerous walk to it as they might miss out on something from Johns St. no2. is the change in the people coming out, Waterford had such a decent sort of people coming out every night of the week 7 - 8 years ago but thats now gone for almost every night now, now its just scum around and that is a factor for the mid week scene. The pubs have themselves to blame for that, I saw it first hand where scum families who would never have gotten served before, were let back in to bars to fill the tills. That was all well and good on weekend nights when a pub was full and they were not noticed by anyone else but walk in to one or two of the bars on John st now midweek and they are still there and noone else, i know it stopped me and my mates who worked in bars going to a lot of bars beacusewe were the ones still refusing them. I think we shoud stop comparing waterford with cork or galway, we are not going to get to that stage for a long long time if ever, but look more at kilkenny and wexford and try to take somthing from that, they are still busy midweek and weekends, not what they were but much more than we have been for 3- years now. I hope that this new monopoly canges things for the better but i have my doubts, and i hope that after a year or so they dont start to think what have we taken on here, but they will see the difference in attitudes here in comparisson to most other town and cities alike.
    Rant Over

Yes the patrons are partly to blame, which I did say at the start of my post, but I've maintain that many of the pubs are simply poor quality or poorly run. I could start listing pubs and what my gripes with them are, but I don't think that would achieve anything.

Why not try and emulate Galway? Worst case scenario Waterford improves itself. Attempting to play catch up with provincial towns shows a distinct lack of ambition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 blackstufflad

Are they back open within a month? they will hardly be doing major work to Rubys so a lick of paint and a few bits on the interior, I wish them luck filling all these new Venues

Did hear that the sale of BTs old bars had fallen through and that crowd from Carlow are not now buying. Dont know if anybody has heard same. But that would explain why nobody doing work in any of the places ?

Maybe bt making a come back after the yoga business went Txxx up.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Have heard there are complications to say the least with the rubys sale alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

i hate not knowing what's going on. the whole place is like a ghost town down there. something seriously needs to be done soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Ledger wrote: »
    i hate not knowing what's going on. the whole place is like a ghost town down there. something seriously needs to be done soon.

Just like New Ross so ;)

Just like New Ross so ;)

I agree, unfortunately.

But at least I know what's going on in Ross! ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Maybe it will be opened again sometime soon by someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Maybe it will be opened again sometime soon by someone else

You say that like you know something. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Santan wrote: »
    its not that the pubs in waterford are ****, its that people in waterford dont want to go out anymore.

Why would they when 20 bottles of Miller ( just to use an example ) in the supermarket is less than €20 and the same 20 bottles in the pub are €90, give or take. Where I am in Wexford the price of the pint was reduced by 30c, so now €4.10 for a pint of Bud. It's nowhere near where it needs to be to kick start the pub trade again imo. With more massive cuts to come in the Dec budget, the attraction of drinking at home will only increase. The pub trade needs to do something radical to generate business and cutting the price by 30 or 40c isn't going to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Squiggle wrote: »
    Why would they when 20 bottles of Miller ( just to use an example ) in the supermarket is less than €20 and the same 20 bottles in the pub are €90, give or take. Where I am in Wexford the price of the pint was reduced by 30c, so now €4.10 for a pint of Bud. It's nowhere near where it needs to be to kick start the pub trade again imo. With more massive cuts to come in the Dec budget, the attraction of drinking at home will only increase. The pub trade needs to do something radical to generate business and cutting the price by 30 or 40c isn't going to do it.

It's the government you need to be getting on to, not pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

It's the government you need to be getting on to, not pubs.

Every business would like to be paying less VAT/ taxes in general. However given that we need a fiscal tightening of €3bn plus in this budget, and the fact that as a country we are overspending by €18bn per annum I think only the deluded will realistically expect reductions in taxes. As things get tougher, and they will, people will be more price sensitive than ever. Pub revenue in general is down 22% in the last 20 months while off licence revenue is rising. This trend will continue imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

kryogen wrote: »
    Have heard there are complications to say the least with the rubys sale alright
    Kathleen Fitzgearld,I presume.:eek:The owner of the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

From what I was told last week, the deal has fallen threw with Rubys, but across the road is still on track for next year sometime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Given that Escape is up and running, is their space in the market for both Oxygen and Ruby's? Maybe Ruby's lounge, but the nightclub?

Even during the good times I don't think we ever had more than 2 nightclubs successful in the medium term (3 if you include the Forum as a nightclub, which I don't), plus two late bars.

Simple answer to that one No

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Squiggle wrote: »

I have to agree to an extent just looking at my own behavior of late. I notice myself going out a bit more in the last few months, but staying out in the 'burbs. It's a lot easier to convince myself to go out when you can get 5 pints for under €20.

Kathleen Fitzgearld,I presume.:eek:The owner of the premises.

Ruby's is a leasehold interest only.

The woodman/muldoons/oxegen/peigs is being sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 happy jack

reason bob tweedy had so many pubs and clubs was because he put up his money and took a chance , he ran some dam good places too ....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

happy jack wrote: »
    reason bob tweedy had so many pubs and clubs was because he put up his money and took a chance , he ran some dam good places too ....

thanks Bob.......hows things for you now?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

i bet he wouldnt be so choosy now about who he leaves in to his clubs??
    if they didnt like th colour of your shirt, you were refused entry.
    Shower of clowns running the nightclub business in Ireland. where do they think they are? manhattan? london?

i bet he wouldnt be so choosy now about who he leaves in to his clubs??
    if they didnt like th colour of your shirt, you were refused entry.
    Shower of clowns running the nightclub business in Ireland. where do they think they are? manhattan? london?

was on the way into rubys one night last year and the bouncer refused a girl with us cuz of her shoes, they wer multicoloured runners but like ffs the place wasnt even half full like!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ledger wrote: »
    was on the way into rubys one night last year and the bouncer refused a girl with us cuz of her shoes, they wer multicoloured runners but like ffs the place wasnt even half full like!
    I got into Rubys last year in flip-flops and shorts. Bouncer looked like he was going to stop me before remembering that there was only 4 people up there already so left me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

I remember in the early-to-mid 90s, The Bridge Hotel as it was then known, was packing 'em in most w/end's decided to do a bit of a revamp & implemented a strict dress code policy. Which lasted all of a few weeks coz the place was empty! Normal service was resumed shortly afterwards. However, the writing was on the wall for the Bridge/Breens as Preachers/Club LA/The Roxy/Flow Motion/Muldoons were looming large on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ya and and everyone of them closed now which is crazy. Bit similar to Harveys and their frankly insulting move of trying to charge people to get in not too long ago.

Would I be right in saying that not 1 late bar or club has survived in Waterford that was was there over 5 years ago? That is crazy when you think about it.

They might have took the door charge off Harveys, but drink suddenly went up there again, so they are still screwing you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

ziedth wrote: »

Would I be right in saying that not 1 late bar or club has survived in Waterford that was was there over 5 years ago? That is crazy when you think about it.

Nearly right I'd say. The Forum is the only one I can think of that's still operating. There's a lot of places closed and/or changed ownership in the past 5yrs. Can't think why the city centre pub/club scene has collapsed so badly. There are other cities & towns in Ireland of similar size that can manage to have a thriving nightlife. Even in the midst of the so-called Celtic Tiger boom Waterford was never what you would call buzzing. Shame really because it has a lot of potential. It just needs the right people with fresh ideas to begin the renaissance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Erm, it wasn't just his money his risked, hence the liquidation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ziedth wrote: »

Revolution has been going about 6 years (possibly more) and has never changed ownership either

Advertisement