Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweedy Group - The Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

I find the servile attitude of some of the posters here a little odd - Bob Tweedy is a businessman after all, not some kind of of local hero or saint :confused:

This isn't any kind of insult, just an observation. The Tweedy group was profit-driven like any other business, and like any other business the owners and their appointed management have to take responsibility for failure. Let's not forget that these people were in charge and the job losses are on their heads.

The recession is a major factor, of course, but why should that excuse the failure of debt heavy businesses? Business leaders jumped head-first into the cheap credit bonanza (with all the short-term benefits that brings) and this has dumped us all into recession - ask the Waterford Crystal workers about that one.

I think that this oft-repeated notion that Mr. Tweedy should be congratulated for creating jobs is also unsupportable. The population of Waterford can profitably sustain a certain number of pubs and clubs (and their staff), and would have done so regardless of who owned which establishment.

I'm basically suggesting that people treat local business with a greater degree of cynicism, and a little less blind respect. Business-people don't work with the good of our city or society in mind - their role is to make profits for themselves, their owners or their shareholders.

One question I would ask is if any of the Tweedy Group staff were given prior warning of trouble in the group? I ask because it can take weeks or even months to get a hearing in the High Court, and it's highly likely that the Group was losing money for a considerable time. Did the staff get any kind of warning from management, or did they hear about it with the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

Oskars is run by a different company and has been for the last 6 months or so. Bad Bobs and Park Inn are owned by Bob Snr and have nothing to do with this examinership.

they still had the tweedy group tshirts on last night in oskars last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think that this oft-repeated notion that Mr. Tweedy should be congratulated for creating jobs is also unsupportable. The population of Waterford can profitably sustain a certain number of pubs and clubs (and their staff), and would have done so regardless of who owned which establishment.

This is true, but the fact is he put his money where his mouth is when he first started up and has grown it himself since. And it is him who employs these people.

I'm in no doubt that the reson they're in examinership is that they got themselves into too much debt in the expectation of the good times continuing but the reality is that if they're forced to close some/all of their venues, the employees will be out of a job and I'd hate that to happen to anyone at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

trishw78 wrote: »
    great now there'll be no place to go at night with over priced drink

The last time I checked Harveys charged the same if not more. Ditto Revolution.

Clano wrote: »
    he never renovated anything

The fact that planning permission was denied may have been a contributing factor.

gscully wrote: »
    Having Texas Hold'em, Darts, Table Quizzes in Masons was just pure laziness. .

Yeah, very lazy on their part by coming up with new ideas to try and attract a crowd.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Ledger wrote: »
    Make sure its a tweedy bar!! :D:p:rolleyes:

Actually I've been in Twister Vicks most of the day...Cheap pints, great music, friendly barstaff - can't go wrong.
    Where ya going...may join ya for one...

Sorry lads was literally out the door when I posted. Good night was had by all (i.e. me and Willie).
    alphapa wrote: »
    so ur trying to say they havent raised the prices in over a year????????

Yes. Prices in Muldoons, Rubys & Masons (late prices) are at the same level they were at this time last year with the exception of Bulmers; which is 40c cheaper per pint bottle and 20c cheaper per pint/long neck bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

i just felt i should put my own side on this, i work for one of the main suppliers of drinks to the tweedy group of bars but i am also a frequent punter.

The fact is ALL pubs/clubs in waterford and indeed accross the country are experiencing a severe drop in buisness due to the economic downturn (i know, i'm sick of hearing that also!).
    I agree that some of the tweedy bars are overpriced such as ruby's niteclub and oxygen niteclub.
    Having said this some of the others are really doing their level best to try and attract punters, such as masons (as previously stated) and oscars, in the case of oscars the off licence is what is keeping the place going the bar seems to be doing below average buisness and again this is not down to the staff or managers its just the area or the crowd may not suit and there is not much can be done in this case as i have seen so many times in the past, certainly not much can be done in this present time.

and to clarify the case of the park inn/bad bobs:
    this premesis is not part of the tweedy group it is owned by bob tweedy snr, who has had nothing to do with the tweedy group. bob tweedy jnr is the managing director of the tweedy group of bars.

and one last note:
    in the case of the woodman bar/the ruby lounge/ruby's niteclub (all part of the same premesis and has the same staff and manager.) The manager of this premesis is possibly one of the best nightcub/bar manager i have ever seen he had a tall order when he took on this job several years ago, this is also evident considering he is relatively young,in his early thirties, and being so successfull in his job, and has rarely been wrong in his decisions.
    Now for the other side of this coin, the fact is that the prices are too steep i nearly lost my life when i ordered a single vodka and coke and was told the price was nearly 8.50 this is high by anybody's standards. Having said that this is the way of all night clubs which continually overprice (both on the door and on drink) and are surprised when buisness is down. So we can't put the blame solely on the tweedy group it is the industry standard for years!

and on a slightly personal note i am horrified by the people who seem to already be popping open the champagne over these relevations! for it is not just the 200 odd jobs employed by him there is a domino effect which could devastate the region further! Such as suppliers,the local taxi companies, the local food outlets, the list goes on.......

thank you if you have taken the time to read this.
    Rant over!

Great Post :)
    To be honest its kind of sickening some of the posts here. Worked there for 4 years myself and to start with you would find it very hard to come across a nicer bunch of staff if you tried. I didnt want to leave but unfortunatly with the way the economy was going I didnt really have a choice. If the business was there I would be back there as fast as my legs would carry me!!
    If the renovations were done im sure it would be a totally different story but because there not we can only blame one person for obvious reasons - Mr "McCant". This chap is holding back the whole city!!
    Prices of drinks are high i know and its no one elses fault but the government - find me one nightclub/latebar in the country that doesnt have to charge prices as high as this because of insurance,late license etc!!!!!
    What I find funny is we have people here saying they cant wait for the place to close yet they are probably one of the first people to walk through the door of the clubs each night!!
    Also people who come on and say how unprofessional bar staff in each particular place are - Your actually fantastic sitting at your computer screens putting in comments to make yourself feel better - work a night in there shoes!!!You'll understand then!!

Just to clear a few things up:
    Park Inn/Bad Bobs - Bob Snr
    Oskars - Leased out
    Electric Avenue - Leased out
    Drink prices havent gone up in the last year!

You don't seem to realise that if the worst came to the worst its not just the 200 or so working directly for the group that will lose a job - The Tweedy group could be the biggest account for some of the smaller suppliers, No Tweedy group means less work for these companies which means less jobs.

All in all there is 200 or so people working for the Tweedy Group trying to make an honest living for themselves and the last thing we need in this town is the social welfare queue getting longer so instead of sitting there B****ing and moaning, giving out about this and that why not get out and support local businesses as much as you can??? Im sure if the business started to come back to these places then there would be lower drink prices etc

Rant Over!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Yeah, very lazy on their part by coming up with new ideas to try and attract a crowd.:confused:
    Where do I start. Getting dart boards, pool tables and running poker nights was lazy? Christ...I'd really love you to explain that one. The bar relaunched as a sports bar (at very little cost) new screens were put in and the bar did considerably better as a result. Reducing prices would have been better? All their drinks are €4 Sunday - Thursday. Do a bit more research before your next post methinks.

Poker, Darts and Table Quizzes are NEW ideas? I can play darts anytime in the Mansion House or Showboat and not pay exorbitant prices for drinks. There are quizzes held every Monday night in The Cove, where the drinks are much cheaper. There's poker all over the city any night you want it.

These are not new ideas gentlemen. This is a case of doing what everyone else is doing. That is laziness! I like Masons, I really do (even though I'm too old for the place), but they and their sister bars must've known about the difficulties they were in a long time ago, yet all they tried to do was what other pubs were doing and they were not going to steal clientele from them! New ideas bring in new people.

Oh, and the bit about Masons being a sports bar is loose terminology. A sports bar will have sport on all day long regardless. Showing the big hurling or soccer matches doesn't make it a sports bar. Do Masons show all the horse racing all day? If I go in there on a Friday or Saturday night, will they be showing the boxing, with commentary? No, they will have loud music on! If I go in there next week to watch the Breeders Cup, do you think I'll get to see it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gscully wrote: »
    Oh, and the bit about Masons being a sports bar is loose terminology. A sports bar will have sport on all day long regardless. Showing the big hurling or soccer matches doesn't make it a sports bar. Do Masons show all the horse racing all day? If I go in there on a Friday or Saturday night, will they be showing the boxing, with commentary? No, they will have loud music on! If I go in there next week to watch the Breeders Cup, do you think I'll get to see it?

Agreed, Masons is far from a sports bar....they might like to think it but they are certanly not when compared to the real thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Bob Tweedy is a good guy and a true believer in waterford and Waterford city, it is sadden me to see bobs business in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Cabaal wrote: »
    Agreed, Masons is far from a sports bar....they might like to think it but they are certanly not when compared to the real thing

Cabaal, in many months here I've noticed you thank a lot of anti-tweedy posts so I'd take your opinion with the tiniest pinch of salt.

Poker, Darts, and quizzes may not be the newest ideas in the world, but combine them with a foosball table, stock exchange on a wednesday and friday night, and dancers on a friday night and you have something different for the town. Name me one other bar where you can do all that. And I believe the point is bringing these options into a city centre bar. Sure, you can play pool and darts in the show boat but how many visitors to the city will venture up that way? Masons was clearly trying to attract new business to the centre of town. But of course, they're being criticised for it. And, I've been to sports bars in Dublin and London where some of the sports were not audibly shown at night, one in particular becomes a hip hop club at night. There is an area of masons where there are two screens and both have independent audio so if someone wanted to watch the breeders cup or a late night soccer match they could so so in there with audio while the rest of the bar listens to a band or a DJ etc.

And Mr Scully, once again you are ignoring things. I told you that the drinks are €4 from Sunday to thursday and cheap on fridays too with the stock exchange...so that just makes saturday where you probably wouldn't want to play pool or darts with a huge crowd around ya. You see I told you this about the prices...that the bar is cheaper than the mansion or the showboat, but you chose to ignore me. Some people just have a grudge, regardless of what facts are presented to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cabaal, in many months here I've noticed you thank a lot of anti-tweedy posts so I'd take your opinion with the tiniest pinch of salt.

As you'll note from a earlier post I was barely aware of what premises he owned so I don't see how I can be anti-tweedy, in fairness I don't even know the chaps first name.

However if you want to be ultra defense of him and his business models and premises and think that I'm anti-tweedy thats just fine even though there's nothing to backup your thinking...but sure work away :)

As you'll note from a earlier post I was barely aware of what premises he owned so I don't see how I can be anti-tweedy, in fairness I don't even know the chaps first name.

However if you want to be ultra defense of him and his business models and premises and think that I'm anti-tweedy thats just fine even though there's nothing to backup your thinking...but sure work away :)

Maybe i'm thinking of someone else then. If I'm mistaken, then I apologise.

I have gone on record on this forum defending a lot of premises - in this particular case I think that the TG is being highly misrepresented, in many cases by people who have nothing to go on but a bias against the bars and clubs in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

few points

6 million for masons, 10.5million for muldoons. stick on stamp duty. the fact he was only meant to be paying back the interest only on those loans would be bout 20grand a week alone......however much did ten set him back......the money he was meant to have lost on the pubs on the continent...

Paying the wages of 200 people a week.......plus security on top of that. Insurance. 400 euro a night per late licence per venue. Payments to all those BANDS

may i also add to those in the know, how much does he pay rent for rubys? yes mr tweedy doesnt own it. FACT!!!!!!!!!!

I have gone on record on this forum defending a lot of premises - in this particular case I think that the TG is being highly misrepresented, in many cases by people who have nothing to go on but a bias against the bars and clubs in question.

Fair enough I know you think the TG has done good for Waterford and I can see where you coming from but bigging Masons up as a sports bar when its clearly not isn't very good :)

My problem with the TB is the monopoly he has in Waterford, this is awful for any real competition in Waterrford and allows such things as keeping prices high in relation to entry fees and drinks etc.

I think you can agree that no matter how good the TB is he's very much so created a setup where their is very much a lack of any decent compeitition and this is bad no matter what market its in.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Now for the other side of this coin, the fact is that the prices are too steep i nearly lost my life when i ordered a single vodka and coke and was told the price was nearly 8.50 this is high by anybody's standards. Having said that this is the way of all night clubs which continually overprice (both on the door and on drink) and are surprised when buisness is down. So we can't put the blame solely on the tweedy group it is the industry standard for years!
    !
    This is the bottom line.

I know Bob myself , a great businessman during the boom , but as with so many of his ilk nowadays, is going to have to revamp to a much less wealthy client base to keep going.

Really I think this is the crux of the problem. From what I know of the situation people don't dislike the group or anyone associated with it personally, it comes down to feeling ripped off everytime you step into one of their premesis, knowing they 'effectively' have a monopoly on late bars and there's not a lot the punter can do about it. And yes many of the other bars in waterford are probably culpable too as they set their prices in line rather than offer competition.

As regards the argument about high prices being the industry standard this is true, but I think many of these bars went above and beyond the usual high price. I've posted this before to try add some statistics regarding pricing but here it is again....

CSO survey on Consumer Prices (May 09).....

Pint of Draught Lager:

In Dublin
    Lowest Average Price = 4.53
    Highest Average Price = 5.19
    Average = 4.85

Outside Dublin
    Lowest Average Price = 3.98
    Highest Average Price = 4.80
    Average = 4.33

Also for Vodka dublin averaged 4.05.

its here if you want to see it http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0626/csoprices.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

Elbows22 wrote: »
    Great Post :)
    To be honest its kind of sickening some of the posts here. Worked there for 4 years myself and to start with you would find it very hard to come across a nicer bunch of staff if you tried. I didnt want to leave but unfortunatly with the way the economy was going I didnt really have a choice. If the business was there I would be back there as fast as my legs would carry me!!
    If the renovations were done im sure it would be a totally different story but because there not we can only blame one person for obvious reasons - Mr "McCant". This chap is holding back the whole city!!
    Prices of drinks are high i know and its no one elses fault but the government - find me one nightclub/latebar in the country that doesnt have to charge prices as high as this because of insurance,late license etc!!!!!
    What I find funny is we have people here saying they cant wait for the place to close yet they are probably one of the first people to walk through the door of the clubs each night!!
    Also people who come on and say how unprofessional bar staff in each particular place are - Your actually fantastic sitting at your computer screens putting in comments to make yourself feel better - work a night in there shoes!!!You'll understand then!!

Just to clear a few things up:
    Park Inn/Bad Bobs - Bob Snr
    Oskars - Leased out
    Electric Avenue - Leased out

You don't seem to realise that if the worst came to the worst its not just the 200 or so working directly for the group that will lose a job - The Tweedy group could be the biggest account for some of the smaller suppliers, No Tweedy group means less work for these companies which means less jobs.

All in all there is 200 or so people working for the Tweedy Group trying to make an honest living for themselves and the last thing we need in this town is the social welfare queue getting longer so instead of sitting there B****ing and moaning, giving out about this and that why not get out and support local businesses as much as you can??? Im sure if the business started to come back to these places then there would be lower drink prices etc

Rant Over!!!

3 doors up in twister vicks it's €1.20 cheaper for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

i agree he had it way too good for a long time and abused his position.
    he never renovated anything and its just sad now that young people going out will have to suffer for this again

very dramatic there! Young people with cancer = suffering, young people losing a family member = suffering. Young people now having somewhere to go out and tanked up is not really suffering.

Elbows22 wrote: »

Yes and the Vinters have previously been told that they affectively did price fixing because of this.

They set the price and said it wouldn't change for a year, this of course stopped the prices going down so it was price fixing.

The Vinters actions were in breach of the Competition Act 2002.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0725/1224251304973.html

very dramatic there! Young people with cancer = suffering, young people losing a family member = suffering. Young people now having somewhere to go out and tanked up is not really suffering.

Agreed, not having an expensive pub/club to get pissed is far from suffering
    Besides a new place would open...competition would finally happen in Waterford :)

It's all relative. Young people who are used to going to certain places and seeing certain people will suffer if these places close. Obviously it's a completely different degree of suffering and pales into comparison to the examples you mention, but you know exactly what the poster meant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Yeah i think its fairly obvious what i meant there and to throw something as hard as cancer into this is a very low blow think a bit of maturity there wouldn't do astray. Think before you post please theres plenty of us here i'm sure have had to deal directly or indirectly with cancer

Poker, Darts, and quizzes may not be the newest ideas in the world, but combine them with a foosball table, stock exchange on a wednesday and friday night, and dancers on a friday night and you have something different for the town. Name me one other bar where you can do all that. And I believe the point is bringing these options into a city centre bar. Sure, you can play pool and darts in the show boat but how many visitors to the city will venture up that way? Masons was clearly trying to attract new business to the centre of town. But of course, they're being criticised for it. And, I've been to sports bars in Dublin and London where some of the sports were not audibly shown at night, one in particular becomes a hip hop club at night. There is an area of masons where there are two screens and both have independent audio so if someone wanted to watch the breeders cup or a late night soccer match they could so so in there with audio while the rest of the bar listens to a band or a DJ etc.

And Mr Scully, once again you are ignoring things. I told you that the drinks are €4 from Sunday to thursday and cheap on fridays too with the stock exchange...so that just makes saturday where you probably wouldn't want to play pool or darts with a huge crowd around ya. You see I told you this about the prices...that the bar is cheaper than the mansion or the showboat, but you chose to ignore me. Some people just have a grudge, regardless of what facts are presented to them.

I'm not ignoring you at all. I take your point about the drinks being cheaper, but they're only cheaper on nights with very few people out. If they can have them cheap on those nights, why can't they have them cheap on the other nights? It might ensure that people don't leave there at 11pm and flock to Harveys. As was already mentioned, The Cove and Twister Vicks have cheaper drinks every night.

To be honest, I didn't know about the Stock Exchange night. Sounds kinda interesting, but I have no information on it...and masons.ie doesn't even mention it, or the dancers! That's not a good way to attract new business...

As for having a grudge? I said that I like Masons and I'd be sad if it was gone. I could suggest you were ignoring me on that point ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

It would be sad to see another loss of jobs in the area.
    However there are still plenty of places to go if you want a night out. Nightlife is not just confined to the Johnstown cross. I prefer to keep away from that area. Saturday night at the forum in traffic is better that any of the clubs in the center of town.

Yeah i think its fairly obvious what i meant there and to throw something as hard as cancer into this is a very low blow think a bit of maturity there wouldn't do astray. Think before you post please theres plenty of us here i'm sure have had to deal directly or indirectly with cancer

yes, as you said a lot of us have to deal with cancer in some way...don't try to tell me about maturity, you're the one whinging about some pubs/clubs not being available for people...there's more to life really, when one matures one will realise that.

Anyway, back on topic, pubs will close and new ones will open or take over, it's the natural way of business really and as plenty have said here already, some competition would be all too welcome.

For the record having had to deal directly with the affects of cancer on a loved one's I am in no way offended by run_Forrest_run's post.

His comparison was clearly made to show how minor an issue it is to have a pub close compared to actual real issues in life when it comes to what you do on your weekend for a night out.

For the record having had to deal directly with the affects of cancer on a loved one's I am in no way offended by run_Forrest_run's post.

His comparison was clearly made to show how minor an issue it is to have a pub close compared to actual real issues in life when it comes to what you do on your weekend for a night out.

I get your point, but if we were to bring cancer into every conversation we'd never get anywhere.

"I got a parking fine last night, even though I still had an hour left on my parking ticket" - "Could be worse...could have cancer"

"Dunnes wouldn't take back my jumper that was too big for me!!!" - "could be worse, could have cancer!"

Cancer wasn't mentioned in every other recession type thread on this forum in the past year, I see no reason why it should be mentioned here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sh4128

Will pubs and clubs be easier to get into now would ye all think?

I get your point, but if we were to bring cancer into every conversation we'd never get anywhere.

"I got a parking fine last night, even though I still had an hour left on my parking ticket" - "Could be worse...could have cancer"

"Dunnes wouldn't take back my jumper that was too big for me!!!" - "could be worse, could have cancer!"

Cancer wasn't mentioned in every other recession type thread on this forum in the past year, I see no reason why it should be mentioned here.

I see your point also, sure anyway back to the topic at hand perhaps? :)

OK, I'll withdraw my comment if it will end all this debate, people get my point I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Exactly thats all i meant.
    Didn't mean to start a war :)

Advertisement