Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweedy Group - The Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

dayshah wrote: »
    I'd feel I'd need a drink.

Really, I don't think anyone benefits from it being dragged out.

Oh but they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Oh but they do!

As much as I'd like this to be over with, it pays the bills for another week. Bob himself of course benefits more than anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Adyx wrote: »
    As much as I'd like this to be over with, it pays the bills for another week. Bob himself of course benefits more than anyone.

yes it gives him more time to find an investor there is 2 people interested at the moment they are afaik:
    • Some crowd from tramore, who wish to work with bob and the existing staff. However they wont have the money for a couple of weeks so bob needs it to drag out to allow them time to come up with the money.
    • Another company from carlow (the people who own the Dinn Ri afaik), who wish to just buy it out and change everything including getting rid of a lot of staff and changing suppliers etc.

So personally i hope the tramore crowd come up with the money asap!:(

Ledger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 I.S.O.P

The Examiner in this case has stepped out of line from what we are told . He has to be there to support and advise Bob and coming up with the best solution to save the buisness if possible . From the outside it looks like he was assisting the take over bid from Carlow.

The examiner was also reported to have been all over the place in Court in Dublin on Friday . Bob is pressing for the exmainer to be taken out of this case and buying some more time for investment .

I for one would love to see all his venues transformed in town and bring a new lease of life to Waterford and securing the jobs that are there .

Hope the Tweedy Group pulls through

yea fromwhat i've heard on the grapevine bob is trying to sue the examiner because hes in cahoots with the carlow crowd. Apparently hes been taken out of a case before when the judge saw his expenses and he was again not doing his job why did he get appointed to this case when hes done this before its completely wrong.

Ledger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

comparing the clubscene in tramore with carlow ,
    this is a no brainer

1 vote to carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Hoffmans wrote: »
    this is a no brainer

1 vote to carlow
    +1 to that

What has tramore got to do with anything? Or did I miss something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

yep

Hoffmans wrote: »
    this is a no brainer

1 vote to carlow

Yeah because what Waterford needs right now is more people unemployed. It doesn't matter who owns what at this stage. There is ****-all life left in Waterford's "night life".

• Advertisement

Yeah because what Waterford needs right now is more people unemployed. It doesn't matter who owns what at this stage. There is ****-all life left in Waterford's "night life".

Exactly...whoever owns Rubys an Muldoons is not going to change much about the town. People complaining about The Tweedy Group are lazy begrudgers looking for an easy scapegoat.

Let's speak hypothetically for a second, The Dunn Ri take over Rubys today...they have already said that they won't be securing all the jobs that are there now so they'll come in and more than likely do a hatchet job. They'll more than likely stop live music 7 nights a week...anyone who thinks that's good for the town is probably in the minority. The club is doing alright as it is...do you think they're suddenly going to pump millions into it and make it a top national night spot? No way...and they also know that the demographic that are going to night clubs and also paying the door charge are young people so you can forget about any idealistic notion that the place will be turned into some classy over 23s joint.

The problems in this city go far beyond two venues...and I find it absolutely absurd that people seem to be hoping for the Tweedy Group to collapse as if in some way it will benefit the city in the long run.

The problems in this city come down to a number of things, and right at the top of that list is the people of waterford themselves. "We need more classy over 23s venues" Axis Mundi and The Bowery were something along those lines...but it was too far of a walk for most people so they just stayed around the john street area...that place that we love to hate so much.

Times were better when we had breens, egans (with flo and flare) and the bars on high street (flashes, Fitzgeralds before...the city arms...over to the gingerman...down to the old stand...) but this places died...why did they die? Because people stopped frequenting them. People look back, almost romantically at these places but at the time of their closing, they were all basically ghost houses. The Tweedy Group and people like Flash struggled through those bad times and tried to do more to get people out...but people in Waterford don't want to go out. "But the prices of drink are ludicrous" "Why would we want to go out to those s hit holes"
    Seriously, it's not too different to any other city.

Everything that's new is always better...e.g. when we visit another city and come back saying how better it is than waterford...believe me...people say the same when they visit waterford from somewhere else. The grass is always greener...

People need to get behind the waterford company trying to keep its waterford businesses...and instead of moaning all the time about our night life...need to come up with some constructive advice on how it can be improved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The problems in this city come down to a number of things, and right at the top of that list is the people of waterford themselves. "We need more classy over 23s venues" Axis Mundi and The Bowery were something along those lines...but it was too far of a walk for most people so they just stayed around the john street area...that place that we love to hate so much..

it seems for anything to survive in Waterford it needs to be beside the likes of Rubys, there's something wrong in this city when people think Harveys is far away from the likes of Revolutions....its only a min or two walk ffs!

People are lazy and because they are not willing to walk more then 100m this really limits the premises that can be used to setup a club/pub etc.

If you look at the likes of Kilkenny people will walk from John Street to High Street to the Parade and the same happens in the likes of Wexford...people will walk to get to places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I find it hard to believe that the people behind Dinn Ri, a very successful pub and business model in a small town, would come down here and perform a hatchet-job. These guys will have done their homework. Getting rid of all the staff would not be on their agenda. In doing that, they run the risk of locals boycotting any venture they have. Their statement about not being able to safeguard every job is just standard talk to cover themselves. Sure, some jobs might go, but not many, and if they can apply the same success here as they do in Carlow, more jobs would be created down the line. There's nothing similar to Dinn Ri in the city centre, and having a superpub would attract many stag and hen nights on a regular basis. We've discussed on other threads how something different, and not seeing the same old faces, would be nice. Well, here's the answer.

Anyway, who's to say that the Tramore crowd in cohoots with Tweedy will be able to safeguard jobs? They're already looking for time to come up with the money!!! It doesn't sound like they have much capital in reserve. If that all goes t*ts up, there'll be empty buildings and no jobs!

gscully wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that the people behind Dinn Ri, a very successful pub and business model in a small town, would come down here and perform a hatchet-job. These guys will have done their homework. Getting rid of all the staff would not be on their agenda. In doing that, they run the risk of locals boycotting any venture they have. Their statement about not being able to safeguard every job is just standard talk to cover themselves. Sure, some jobs might go, but not many, and if they can apply the same success here as they do in Carlow, more jobs would be created down the line. There's nothing similar to Dinn Ri in the city centre, and having a superpub would attract many stag and hen nights on a regular basis. We've discussed on other threads how something different, and not seeing the same old faces, would be nice. Well, here's the answer.

Anyway, who's to say that the Tramore crowd in cohoots with Tweedy will be able to safeguard jobs? They're already looking for time to come up with the money!!! It doesn't sound like they have much capital in reserve. If that all goes t*ts up, there'll be empty buildings and no jobs!

The examiner has already told the judge that the most the Dinn Ri crowd could do for staff is redundancy. They want to make "wholesale" changes. Kinglet Ltd at least are at least going to try.

To be honest I don't think it matters anyway. As said above, Waterford people are too lazy to move more than a few feet and Waterford's night life died about 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

The examiner has already told the judge that the most the Dinn Ri crowd could do for staff is redundancy. They want to make "wholesale" changes. Kinglet Ltd at least are at least going to try.

To be honest I don't think it matters anyway. As said above, Waterford people are too lazy to move more than a few feet and Waterford's night life died about 6 years ago.
    Ye very true , people here are lazy for some reason ! I think we think we are bigger then we are only a population of 50,000 in the city and anyone living in the west of the county goes out in dungarvan mainly so unlike other counties like limerick , cork and galway we are big town that cant offer a major choice of clubs and pubs ! I hope more pubs dont go and this mess gets sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Ye very true , people here are lazy for some reason ! I think we think we are bigger then we are only a population of 50,000 in the city and anyone living in the west of the county goes out in dungarvan mainly so unlike other counties like limerick , cork and galway we are big town that cant offer a major choice of clubs and pubs ! I hope more pubs dont go and this mess gets sorted.

It's not population. Between Waterford, Tramore, New Ross and Carrick there is the same population as Galway, and the rural population density around Waterford is higher. The problem is probably the lack of a university, and therefore less investment in the Waterford and 6,000 students rather than 16,000. That means that Galway has a significantly younger and more affluent age profile. Think 10,000 extra students in Waterford!

There hasn't been a huge loss of pubs in the centre of Waterford. Egans, The Stand and The Temple Bar (insert last name) have gone, but at the other end you have Dignity, Twister Vicks and Revolution/Escape. If you want to go back to the halcyon days of the past, you'd have no Kazbar, Masons, Ruby's Lounge, etc., though granted you'd have a number of other good pubs, and the likes of Pegs, The Pulpit and the Woodman would be separate pubs. It was inevitable that the pub trade would be under pressure in the centre when people moved to the outskirts and the age profile got older, but there are more than enough pubs in there, just not enough patronage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Court Finished for the day at 4pm and the judge has said there will be a desicion by lunchtime tm . Its impossible to call im told as its all on tecnicalities ....

yes the pub trade and the wider alcohol industry at retail and wholesale levels have been in serious trouble in the past two years and the no. 1 problem can be explained in one word: TESCO!

Tesco have been selling alcohol which they import from their bases in the UK since they opened here they do not use irish wholesalers or manufacturers even! So because of this they can afford to sell drink at about half the price of any other off-licence or a quarter of the price of any pub. I mean think about it imagine the ammount of dioscounts etc they would get when they're buying supplies for their ENTIRE CHAIN both in the UK and Ireland. It boggles the mind and so because of this they can afford to sell cheaper than even Wholesale suppliers most of the time i know this for a fact and so to make up for lost revenue publicans do two things:
    • Buying From Tesco
    they buy as much of their bottled beers and spirits as they can from Tesco, which causes wholesalers to lose custom.
    • Putting up Prices
    Manufacturers put up prices regularly to make up for lost revenue, and so when this comes down the line publicans add on their own few cent onto the increase. Which again in turn causes wholesalers to lose more custom.

When all this adds up it forces some small suppliers to shut down or go bankrupt, or causes bigger suppliers to shut depots causing more job losses.

All this shows one simple fact:
    TESCO DOES SWEET F**K ALL FOR THE IRISH ECONOMY!

Rant over,
    Ledger

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And heres me thinking tesco employ a lot of people here in Ireland which is a major help to the economy.Fine rabbling though

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

if everyone had that attitude there would be nobody shopping in NI....

you go where the best deal is espeically in these times..
    €24 for 24 bottles of heniken compared to paying €5 per bottle in a pub, where people cant smoke.

its not rocket science, as above poster has said, the buiser tesco is the more people they emply from Ireland in their Irish stores!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

to some degree many pubs/clubs also brought this upon themselves with their greed during the good times. My local corner shop sells a tin of beer for a 1/3 of the price of the average city centre pub, that makes it a no-brainer when it comes to value for money and tesco don't come into the equation.

House parties, hell yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

anybody know if the judge made a decision today?

Mooley22 wrote: »
    anybody know if the judge made a decision today?

No, she needs a couple of more days apparently. Beyond a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Friday or Monday now

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

how come it keeps gettin adjourned.could she not just make a decision?

Mooley22 wrote: »
    how come it keeps gettin adjourned.could she not just make a decision?

Women, eh? :pac:

It's not adjourned...the case is over...she just needs a few days to think it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Its not just Tesco, it was the repealing of the grocery order which then allowed the sale of alcohol BELOW cost.

Also, I think Tweedy lost a lot of good will, which is evident from the hostility to him. I understand charging high prices for drink, but €1.50 for a jacket??

That's not a bad price for a jacket actually. Next charged me €100 for mine. Thievin bastids!!

• Advertisement

ok guys fair enough i see where your coming from regarding the ammount of people they employ from that perspective yes they are good but they import most of their stock from the UK. so the point i was trying to get accross is from my point of view working for a drinks wholesaler they are doing serious harm to the drinks industry and indeed many other industries in this country. They do not support them in any way.

Ledger

Advertisement