Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism in UCD?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

That's awful...

Thankfully I have never seen any racism on campus, and I don't think I would stand by if I did either, its disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

A) This wasnt on campus
    B) With the % of non Irish (Not sure what the PC way to phrase that is) people in UCD and Dublin I might suspect this tale to having two sides to the story...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

I agree this is awful, however i feel the title is somewhat misleading...it suggests this racism is occurring on campus..
    Racists are pathetic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Just out of interest, is this topic banned in the charter?

Don't wanna get a ban or anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

I really don't understand why this was published in the Observer, what does it have to do with Ucd other than the fact that the victim is a Ucd student? I'm not having a go or anything: racism is wrong and fair enough if they published the story to highlight the fact that something should be done about it in this country, but I think the observer are just jumping on the bandwagon with this article. I mean, if a Ucd student/staff member was a victim of a drink-driving accident, would the Observer run an article on the dangers of our roads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I really don't understand why this was published in the Observer, what does it have to do with Ucd other than the fact that the victim is a Ucd student? I'm not having a go or anything: racism is wrong and fair enough if they published the story to highlight the fact that something should be done about it in this country, but I think the observer are just jumping on the bandwagon with this article. I mean, if a Ucd student/staff member was a victim of a drink-driving accident, would the Observer run an article on the dangers of our roads?

i don't have it in front of me, but if i remember correctly, there was a story in the latest observer about a UCD student nearly knocking down some fine gael TD. It was even on page 3! I think the lesson we can learn here is that the observer is going down the tubes

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭IndigoStarr

i don't have it in front of me, but if i remember correctly, there was a story in the latest observer about a UCD student nearly knocking down some fine gael TD. It was even on page 3! I think the lesson we can learn here is that the observer is going down the tubes

That was the Tribune.

I think that it's an interesting topic for debate. While the majority have no problem with non-nationals, I think that there'll always be that minority ruining the Irish reputation overseas. I guess it's up to the rest of us to not let that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ohjustbegood

I have lived in many places all over the world and that small minorty are everywhere believe me.

But saying that I think UCD is quite calm and friendly to new peoples.

(also, Pity about the Tribune)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I've been at ucd for three years and never witnessed racism in any form. I know that there's loads of knackers (i.e. skangers now) near by the college but I'd never expect to see racist students, unless of course they're completely retarded that is. Yeh, that's pretty awful what happened to that poor chap, imagine coming to this country for education and this is the kind of shit ya have to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The Agogo wrote: »
    Just out of interest, is this topic banned in the charter?

Don't wanna get a ban or anything...

You aren't allowed BE racist. You are allowed discuss racism and bigotry and minorities, except travellers.

• Advertisement

I dunno how anyone could be racist against non-nationals in UCD, I mean most of them are hawt :D There's one of dem foreigners in one of my courses and I swear she's the reason I'm going to fail :o

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I dunno how anyone could be racist against non-nationals in UCD, I mean most of them are hawt :D There's one of dem foreigners in one of my courses and I swear she's the reason I'm going to fail :o

I'm not giving out about this by any means...but this opens up a debate about 'positive' racism. As in, prejudging a race as 'hawt'. Funny stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Signpost wrote: »
    B) With the % of non Irish (Not sure what the PC way to phrase that is) people in UCD and Dublin I might suspect this tale to having two sides to the story...

Are you in someway trying to insinuate that this PhD student brought it upon him/her self to have their family house fire bombed?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

I hate racism, but this is out of context to the university observer, and makes it seem like there is racism in UCD specifically. A story like this could deterr future international students from this college. I see no reason why they didnt say a "college student doing his phd" and then say that " universities such as UCD are becoming proactive.. "etc. As he said himself, stuff like this is going to drive him from this country. That headline will read "UCD student leaves due to racist attacks". How bad does that look on the college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

I'm not sure why this article made the front page. Yes, firebombing someone's house is absolute thuggery and the Gardaí should definitely do something (more) about it. Firebombing someones house purely for petty racist reasons is worse again. But all the article said was this student (PhD I presume) who is apparently foreign was victim of a crime and gave some token academic opinions. Not great journalism in my opinion.

Is it really newsworthy that ireland is a racist country?

Sparrwohawk, of course racism isn't news (everyone knows about it).

But constant racist attacks are. The proof is that a large number of nationals and radio stations also reported it.

Are you willing to attack the integrity of most journalistic outlets in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Colin1986

I really don't understand why this was published in the Observer, what does it have to do with Ucd other than the fact that the victim is a Ucd student?

It was published in the Observer because the victim being a UCD student makes it UCD news. You've obviously never seen how a regional newspaper is supposed to operate. If something like this happens to a member of the community that the newspaper serves, then there is no better story than that. It's called human interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

To be fair, it's an odd article to make the front page.
    It's not big college news, it's something unfortunate that happened to a UCD student off campus.

We'd have a university newspaper the size of a textbook if we start reporting the average students off campus woes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ohjustbegood

Yes that is true, it should not have made the front page. By the very least I would have put the Dublin bus story on the front, merely coz it concerned more students.

Still having said that, I think the observer does good most of the time. Its better than the other one about campus...they don evn look like they can spell proper!

dyl10 wrote: »
    To be fair, it's an odd article to make the front page.
    It's not big college news, it's something unfortunate that happened to a UCD student off campus.

We'd have a university newspaper the size of a textbook if we start reporting the average students off campus woes.

The average student's off campus woes? A student's house was was fire-bombed!! And the attack was racially motivated! It's a good story..

And why are you suggesting that this amounts to "average off-campus woes" - You know many people that this kind of thing happens to?

It's a cheap shot you just took trying to insinuate that this story amounts to anything "average" or that the newspaper running this story is out looking to report every crappy little thing that happens to students - there's no evidence to support that..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Was this story reported in the national newspapers as well?

Yes that is true, it should not have made the front page. By the very least I would have put the Dublin bus story on the front, merely coz it concerned more students.

Still having said that, I think the observer does good most of the time. Its better than the other one about campus...they don evn look like they can spell proper!

It's very rich of you to comment on other people's spelling. Pot calling the kettle black much? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It's very rich of you to comment on other people's spelling. Pot calling the kettle black much? :rolleyes:

He is pretending to be a newspaper.

He is pretending to be a newspaper.

I was very drunk (now I'm very ill). Apologies for that post.

There is a huge difference between typos and spelling mistakes...

There is a huge difference between typos and spelling mistakes...

I know, I was drunk when posting that. I apologised for it already :o

I know, I was drunk when posting that. I apologised for it already :o

no, i know. I'm just want to put that out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Colin1986 wrote: »
    The average student's off campus woes? A student's house was was fire-bombed!! And the attack was racially motivated! It's a good story..

And why are you suggesting that this amounts to "average off-campus woes" - You know many people that this kind of thing happens to?

It's a cheap shot you just took trying to insinuate that this story amounts to anything "average" or that the newspaper running this story is out looking to report every crappy little thing that happens to students - there's no evidence to support that..

Oh, don't get so upset. I'm not condeming your precious newspaper.
    Would you happen to be the journalist in question?

The article had nothing to do with UCD. There was a racist attack and the victim happened to be a student.
    If a UCD student committed a racist attack off campus and someone wrote an article about it, we'd up in arms claiming it had nothing to do with us.

It was out of place on the front of the paper in my opinion and several people made the same suggestion to me.

no, i know. I'm just want to put that out there :)

I remember at the time thinking it was a shoe in for post of the day :confused:

Anyway, back OT :D Does anyone know if there's an update on who actually did it or motives etc?

• Advertisement

dyl10 wrote: »
    Oh, don't get so upset. I'm not condeming your precious newspaper.
    Would you happen to be the journalist in question?

The article had nothing to do with UCD. There was a racist attack and the victim happened to be a student.
    If a UCD student committed a racist attack off campus and someone wrote an article about it, we'd up in arms claiming it had nothing to do with us.

It was out of place on the front of the paper in my opinion and several people made the same suggestion to me.

No it's not my precious newspaper. I don't go to UCD anymore, and when I did, I edited the College Tribune, so I'm the last person in this discussion who might have a pro-observer agenda.

I'm not getting into this anymore, suffice to say that I've already covered the points you've made. The article WAS related to UCD because he was a student here.

And no, there is absolutely no way that if a UCD student committed a racist attack that newspapers in the college wouldn't report on it, so I don't know what point you're trying to make here.

And I don't care what your mates said, I'm just giving you my opinion.

Advertisement