Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card advice: 4770, 4850, 4870

Options
  • 28-10-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I am looking to upgrade on the cheap. I know the 4870 is the best value for money out there, but - my power supply can't handle it.
    Space is also kind of limited inside my case. Looking at the 4850 it only requires a single PCI-e power connection but is still kind of bulky.

So the best option for me looks like a 4770 (specifically this one). Performance is similar to a 4850 (especially when oc'd a little).

It made on their 40nm process, drawing a decent bit less power than the 48XX's and comes with the standard atx to pci-e power adapter which saves me another few euro's.

Is my logic sound? And does that look like the best price for a 4770?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Depnds on monitor resolution. If you're gaming at 1080p (1920*1080) or higher then its time for an upgrade, you need that HD4870 1GB! If its around 720p (>1366*768) then its a no-brainer; get the HD4770.

Of course, most gamers have to be awkward and have something somewhere in the middle :rolleyes: I'd recommend the HD4770; ~50W power draw at stock clocks is pretty hilarious given its barely any slower than a HD4850, which guzzles 110W+ at stock. The quality differential is mostly caused by the HD4770's hobbled memory bus, so OCing the underclocked GDDR5 in CCC can put the two cards on pretty much even ground :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

Thanks for the advice Solitaire. That's pretty much exactly where I am coming from. 4870 is out simply because it's about 20-30 euro plus a new 500W power supply :)

Advertisement