Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom refurb - How much?

Options
  • 28-10-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We're thinking of getting some work done on a small bathroom. Its about 2m x 3m.

Its an upstairs bathroom with MDF (I think) flooring. We're going to get the floor tiled and the walls tiled to the ceiling (cheapish tiles if I have my way).
    Herself wants to keep the bath so Im after a corner like this one.

1601800MMHBOM.jpg

How much would I be looking in general to have someone do all that? I'm not trusted to even attempt it :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi Trotter.

You are looking between 2.5 and 6k for this type of bathroom. 6k is the higher end. A bath I would consider is a "P" bath. Its got a shower area and a bath in one. A lot of them fit standard houses.

There is a lot for you to consider.

What type of Toilet Top flush/Lever
    What type of Basin 1th or 2 th
    Electric shower /pumped electric shower/Shower valve.
    Towel rail.

I was in the business years. I would be happy to advise you on all aspects you are then free to verify my advice. PM me if you want any of my old contacts weather its supply only or supply and fit,

Best of luck and remember you dont do this every year so think of what you really want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Cheers for that. I'll be doing this on the tightest budget possible. At the moment the bathroom is a disaster so it just needs a tidy up with new decent materials, nothing swanky.

I'm thinking of the shorter version of the P bath. I've had a good look on the homebase site and that suits best because of the lack of space available due to the door frame squeezing the bath. We'll probably keep the toilet and sink and just change the taps.

Trotter wrote: »
    Cheers for that. I'll be doing this on the tightest budget possible. At the moment the bathroom is a disaster so it just needs a tidy up with new decent materials, nothing swanky.

I'm thinking of the shorter version of the P bath. I've had a good look on the homebase site and that suits best because of the lack of space available due to the door frame squeezing the bath. We'll probably keep the toilet and sink and just change the taps.

Good idea. I never seen the sense of changing the porceline.The problem there might be that the porceline toilet sometimes does not come out very successfully. The shorter version of the P bath is 1500mm in length. 2 coupanies other than homebase export them into ireland. Be careful homebase is not cheap on this item because it knows not many do it.

Also consider changing the taps to a modern cross head type. They look very well. One thing i never rec is to get an electric shower and a bathshower mixer in the bathroom. It tends to make the bathroom look very untidy.

Also if you are getting a towel rail get the biggest one possible, I use to change the standard rad for a 500 x 1200 towel rail as the towel rail needs to be bigger for the reduction in heat due to the spacing of bars.

I suspect the p bath will be too wide. The one above is almost a D in shape. Is that the type you said was 1500mm?

I won't be getting a heated towel rail, just tiling around or behind the existing radiator.

I have a t80 electric shower but it's a beat weak. I want a shower that'll really knock the cobwebs off at 7am. Would I have to have a mix shower to achieve that? The hot tank is downstairs and the cold one is in the attic.

Realistically we're looking at tiling floor and ceiling, (cheap end of line tiles hopfully because the area is small), removal of the old bath and replacing with the lower D shape one and a screen, and a new shower setup.

Which other companies import the lower, shorter baths like the one above?

Thanks for your help!

I suspect the p bath will be too wide. The one above is almost a D in shape. Is that the type you said was 1500mm? The p bath is not as wide.;) Trust me!

I won't be getting a heated towel rail, just tiling around or behind the existing radiator. Just an idea while the plumber is there.

I have a t80 electric shower but it's a beat weak. I want a shower that'll really knock the cobwebs off at 7am. Would I have to have a mix shower to achieve that? The hot tank is downstairs and the cold one is in the attic. If a t80 is weak your mains is week so you will need to go with the stored hot water and a 1.5 bar pump option.

Realistically we're looking at tiling floor and ceiling, (cheap end of line tiles hopfully because the area is small), Right price tile so.;)

removal of the old bath and replacing with the lower D shape one and a screen, and a new shower setup. Normal practice. They hire a skip in the quote. Lets you get rid of rubbish as well

Which other companies import the lower, shorter baths like the one above? They are two companies called RT Large and Aquastyle. You will need to call them and ask for your nearest dealer. Although most plumbers will know of them and be able to source from there supplier

Thanks for your help! Anytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Vtiling

Hi,

it sounds for me like somewhere around 1500 for all the job done - plumbing, tiling, removing old suite...). But it is very hard to say with no seeing. You can pm me and we will see...

Hi all,

We're thinking of getting some work done on a small bathroom. Its about 2m x 3m.

Its an upstairs bathroom with MDF (I think) flooring. We're going to get the floor tiled and the walls tiled to the ceiling (cheapish tiles if I have my way).

1601800MMHBOM.jpg

How much would I be looking in general to have someone do all that? I'm not trusted to even attempt it :p

If VTILING can supply all those materials, plumb them and clear away the waste for 1500 i would jump on it. If he can only do labour for 1500 not knowing what your buying yet I would jump on it. Its cheap.

Thanks for the help. A friend of a friend is in the business so he's coming for a look next week. I'll report back either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Hi all,

1601800MMHBOM.jpg

Hey Trotter. I got a full replum job done on my house so I cant tell you what the plumbers cost for the bathroom alone was.

But I can tell you I just tiled around the bath, to the ceiling, and just a couple of tiles over the sink and tiled the floor. Tiler cost me 300, tiles cost me 200ish.

New bath new sink, new toilet, around 500.
    shower 250, folding shower screen, 180 (b&q). - unless your bath edge is completely flat, do not buy a solid shower scree. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055668519&highlight=shower+screen
    Anyone who wants to correct me on above, feel free. That is just what Ive heard.

I think you would be going over 1,500ish for the whole job.

Hi oxygen your information is good but on the bathscreen I would NOT buy on if the bath edge is flat but again if you had to there is ways to set the screen to get around this problem

i actually say this in the thread you refere to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,037 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Have a look in Vogue, Nort West business park ( near Aquatic center ). Got a lot of stuff ( very cheap ) a short while ago. The clearance stuff is in a warehouse at rear of the showroom. Open to the public. Was up there again last week. Still bargains to be found.

FYI, I got a full bathroom suite ( with whirlpool bath, toilet / WHB / taps / pedestal ) and an ensuite set ( toilet / WHB/ taps and pedestal ) along with floor and wall tiles & borders for main bathroom, downstairs bog and our ensuite. €1200 all in;)

Advertisement