Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miccochips

Options
  • 28-10-2009 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting a Pet Porte microchip cat door for my cats to stop other cats coming in but I'm trying to find out what type of chips are used here. The Pet Porte company list these microchip typs

We recommend:
    • Bayer Tracer
    • Identichip
    • Pet Log
    • Verbac
    • AEG
    • Jecta
    • Other European 15 digit microchips are also compatible.
    We do not recommend:
    • AVID *
    • Biotherm

I've rang 3 vets and don't think they know? I've been told, ISO chip, Animark chip and Fido chip. Anyone know?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

GigaByte wrote: »

I've rang 3 vets and don't think they know? I've been told, ISO chip, Animark chip and Fido chip. Anyone know?

Thanks.

By Fido I think they mean Fido.ie - you can go online and register the chip. I just had a look at the card for registering the chip that came with our pups papers - it doesn't give a brand but it's a 15 digit one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Fido and Animark are both registries, not makes of chip, aren't they?

AFAIK all chips currently used in Europe are designed to conform to some ISO standard or the other, and can all be read by the same readers. I don't think you'll have any problem to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Thanks for both of your replies.

I had guessed these where not the brand names of the microchips used. On Pet Porte website they have a microchip checker, would you try your chip id and see if it says its ok?

Thanks

EDIT: Forgot the link

http://www.petporte.com/chip3.htm

My two both check out OK on that website.

Alun wrote: »
    My two both check out OK on that website.

Excellent!

• Advertisement

No problem. If you get one, could you let us know how you get on with it? I've been considering one like that myself and am keen to know how sensitive they are, i.e. how close does the cat need to get to it before it registers.

Alun wrote: »
    No problem. If you get one, could you let us know how you get on with it? I've been considering one like that myself and am keen to know how sensitive they are, i.e. how close does the cat need to get to it before it registers.

No problem, I'll be putting it in the wall and I'll take some pictures and catcam will be setup to monitor the big nasty tom who keeps sneaking in to eat my 2 cats food!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

Gigabyte, over the last six months we've encountered about half a dozen cats in our house (other than ours). Rather hillariously, we came home to find one curled up reading the IKEA catalogue open on the table in front of him. His owner assures us they've a copy of the catalogue in their house so we were a little bemused.

We put in a magnetic flap but one local cat obviously has a magnet and still comes in regularly and curls up on the couch or even our bed. He'll sit and look at you with disgust when you come into the room (he doesn't even run until you approach him). He even woke us up by fighting with our cat in our bedroom one night. FFS.

So let us know how you get on with the PetPorte, from reading on line reviews it seems the best. Are you ordering it from them, how much does chipping your cat cost and will we be able to fix it to our outer wall like our existing cat mate??

Thanks and good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I just bought a battery powered 'sureflap' catflap (on zooplus.ie) and my cat has a fido microchip. It works a treat, the flap scans her in a second, and the door clicks open. Once she approaches the door, it'll scan her, she doesn't have to be pressed up towards the door for it to work - as far as I know, her chip is between her shoulder blades ...

We only installed it today, but she's already learnt to go through it .... I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

a147pro wrote: »
    Gigabyte, over the last six months we've encountered about half a dozen cats in our house (other than ours). Rather hillariously, we came home to find one curled up reading the IKEA catalogue open on the table in front of him. His owner assures us they've a copy of the catalogue in their house so we were a little bemused.

We put in a magnetic flap but one local cat obviously has a magnet and still comes in regularly and curls up on the couch or even our bed. He'll sit and look at you with disgust when you come into the room (he doesn't even run until you approach him). He even woke us up by fighting with our cat in our bedroom one night. FFS.

So let us know how you get on with the PetPorte, from reading on line reviews it seems the best. Are you ordering it from them, how much does chipping your cat cost and will we be able to fix it to our outer wall like our existing cat mate??

Is your cat posting free-gaff alerts on Facebook or something :D

• Advertisement

how much does chipping your cat cost and will we be able to fix it to our outer wall like our existing cat mate??

I've rang 3 vets and its rangs from 35 to 45 euros, once my Pet Porte arrives I'll bring it to the vets to check that it can scan the chips correctly before chipping my 2 cats.

Mine will be installed in the wall like the one in the pictures below but first it will be mounted into a frame and then the frame will be put into the wall.

Here's a good link with lots of pictures of someome who installed it into a wall. There's a couple of videos at the bottom

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/house/catflap/

My Pet Porte should be with me on Tuesday! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

Does anyone here know if the 'night mode' on the pet porte microchip cat flap locks the door completely or just stops cats who are inside going out again? I'm just wondering if one of my cats didn't get in before the 'night mode' came on would they be stuck outside all night?

Thanks.

JKM wrote: »
    Does anyone here know if the 'night mode' on the pet porte microchip cat flap locks the door completely or just stops cats who are inside going out again? I'm just wondering if one of my cats didn't get in before the 'night mode' came on would they be stuck outside all night?

Thanks.

It just stops them getting out, they'll be able to get back in.

(see bottom of page 4, point 1)
    http://www.petporte.com/pdf/PP0103userguide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

Thanks GigaByte. That's brilliant, now all I have to do is save up for one. Can't wait for the freedom it will bring. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

How did you get on Gigabyte? Also where did you get it, none of the pet stores in Ireland seem to do them so we're prob going to have to get in on Ebay or something.

How did you get on Gigabyte? Also where did you get it, none of the pet stores in Ireland seem to do them so we're prob going to have to get in on Ebay or something.

It's working great! No other cats have managed to get in. It took them a couple of days to get used to the beep and lock clicking noise but now they are both flying in and out no problem. I got mine from http://www.microchipcatflaps.co.uk/ nice and quick delivery :)

Here's a link to a couple pics and vids I did
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055735699

Advertisement