Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest 500gb portable HD

• 28-10-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Anyone have any ideas for a store preferably in Dublin and not online.

Looking for USB powered only (2.5")

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

Guess that answers that then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Cheapest i have found is €100 in Currys. 500gig Iomega, its great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

At those prices you're be mental to buy them. Honestly OP, is there no way you can get a friend to order one from the internet for ya? You can pick up the 500gb 2.5" SATA drive for about €60 and a 2.5" external enclosure for about €10 off ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

At those prices you're be mental to buy them. Honestly OP, is there no way you can get a friend to order one from the internet for ya? You can pick up the 500gb 2.5" SATA drive for about €60 and a 2.5" external enclosure for about €10 off ebay.

But he is looking for a USB Powered one though.
    akadesign wrote: »
    Looking for USB powered only (2.5").

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

Hey guys thanks for the advice, eventually picked one up in PC World for €100 yoyo's, (Iomega).

TouchingVirus would love to have gone the eBay route but didn't have the time to wait on this occassion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Cork Skate wrote: »
    But he is looking for a USB Powered one though.

If you get a 2.5" SATA external hard drive that doesn't draw power from the USB by default then you should bring it back and get a different one - the only real reason anybody would want a 2.5" over 3.5" is that they don't require external power sources. The extra inch in hard drive size doesn't make that much of a difference regarding portability and 2.5" are more expensive per GB (1TB 3.5" spinning at 7200rpm costs roughly the same as a 500GB 2.5" spinning at 5400rpm).

I've got a 500gb 2.5" and a two 160GB 2.5", all of which take power from the USB, and all of which I bought the hard drive and enclosure separately ;)
    akadesign wrote: »
    Hey guys thanks for the advice, eventually picked one up in PC World for €100 yoyo's, (Iomega).

TouchingVirus would love to have gone the eBay route but didn't have the time to wait on this occassion.

Hey OP, I figured the main reason somebody with their wits about them would choose to pay bricks & mortar prices these days for relatively cheap items such as this was that they were under time pressure. IOMEGA are a grand brand of external hard drives, have a few of them too myself :)

Advertisement