Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about claiming tax back

• 28-10-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

My brother has recently claimed his trade union subs and flat rate expenses for the past 4 years. He was wondering if he'll get this back in a cheque or through his tax credits?

Also I have been doing courses with the Open University the past year and a half. After the first year I sent in the receipts and was about to send in my 2nd year receipts. However as I'm on a low income the tax crdits are not much use. If I claim the receipts in January 2011 will I get the money back in a cheque or tax credits?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

I recently filed my annual income tax return for 2008, a refund was due and it arrived in the form of a cheque. They were very prompt at sending it out also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

hayser wrote: »
    My brother has recently claimed his trade union subs and flat rate expenses for the past 4 years. He was wondering if he'll get this back in a cheque or through his tax credits?

Also I have been doing courses with the Open University the past year and a half. After the first year I sent in the receipts and was about to send in my 2nd year receipts. However as I'm on a low income the tax crdits are not much use. If I claim the receipts in January 2011 will I get the money back in a cheque or tax credits?

Thanks in advance.

A refund of money for previous years comes in the form of a cheque or into a bank account if you supply one. A refund through tax credits only applys for the current year.

If you claim a refund on tuition fees, regardless of the year claimed you will only get the benefit of the credits in the year the receipts are dated i.e you did a course in 2008 but decide to claim in 2011.... the receipts for the college will be dated 2008 so the benefit will be applied to that year. As it is a previous year the refund will be cheque or bank account.

Advertisement