Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in QLD on Provisional

Options
  • 28-10-2009 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Heard a rumour, can you get away with driving a rental car in QLD on the irish provisional?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

neon_glows wrote: »
    Heard a rumour, can you get away with driving a rental car in QLD on the irish provisional?

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Assistance_and_services/Visitors_and_new_residents/International_drivers/

don't think so

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Provisional licenses are only of use in the country that issued them, no country will recognise anothers provisional licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

The rumor I heard was about exchanging your Irish provisional after 3 months here for a full license as a provisional license here is what you are given after passing your test but before your full license is issued. Our provisional license would be the equivalent of a learners permit over here I think but they don’t know that. I can’t verify this rumor though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I can Verify that I did that in Perth about 6-7 Years ago. Swapped an Irish Provisional for a Full WA Licence, then I went home 2 years ago and swapped that for a full Irish Licence.

you may or may not be able tostill do it.

one thing I did that hepled when usingthe licence was to put an extra fold onthe right hand side of the licence, basicly fold down the bit that says'Provisonal Licence' that way when you hand it to a cop its not glaring at them in the face and you stand a much leser chance of them figurin out what it actually is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

anyway, come to the pig n Whistle Friday night and I'll explain it all to you in more detail:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

you may or may not be able tostill do it.

You can.

> >

< <

Say nothin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I certainly hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

whats the worse that would happen if you got cuaght?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

whats the worse that would happen if you got cuaght?

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Licensing/Driver_licence/Licence_demerit_points/Open_licence/Driving_without_a_licence
    If you are convicted of unlicensed driving the court may impose a fine of up to A$4000, or you may be imprisoned for up to one year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

I can Verify that I did that in Perth about 6-7 Years ago. Swapped an Irish Provisional for a Full WA Licence, then I went home 2 years ago and swapped that for a full Irish Licence.

haha thats genius (if its not bull****)
    drove in oz on an irish provisional for about six months in 2004 mainly all over sydney and twice a week on the hume highway between sydney and canberra for work. got pulled over about 5 times (twice by the same cop) and nothing ever said about the provisional, maybe the cops don't want the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

You can.

> >

< <

Say nothin.

I can also confirm this for qld. sssssh!

Advertisement