Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell core i7 laptop

Options
  • 28-10-2009 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

hi there i am looking at dell,s 1557 i7 laptop has anyone gotten one yet, can you post some comments on it (mainly interested in how good battery life is) I have seen no reviews anywhere yet :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

battery performance is supposed to be pretty poor on the new i7 Mobiles.

couldn't find an exact match alright, but this will give an idication: http://hothardware.com/Articles/Intel-Core-i7-Mobile-Processor-Launch-Review/?page=11
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mobile-core-i7,2443-12.html

both of those seem to suggest the i7 mobile shortens the battery life by about half of what you'd expect with an average core2duo. This is also pretty much what you'd expect looking at the max TDP (45 vs 25).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I suppose that's not really surprising. The i7 really is there for performance over battery life. It's a quad core which can be highly clocked for a laptop.

I suppose that's not really surprising. The i7 really is there for performance over battery life. It's a quad core which can be highly clocked for a laptop.

No, but they do seem to eat up power quicker than the Core2Quads which have a similar TDP, which is a bit of a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

In fairness the fastest Core2Quad was the QX9300, which is 45W TDP. The i7-920XM tested above is 55W, so straight away on paper you'd know its a power eater.

The 720QM and 820QM are 45W, so will fare a little better. They're the ones that'll be in the Dell Studio, and most other laptops (the 920XM is mega expensive).

Actually I don't think the battery life (in the Studio 15) will be all that bad. Clarksfield is pretty efficient when idle or lightly stressed. Wait for a few tests is the best thing. But it will still be quite a bit shorter than a basic Core2Duo. Thats just the price you pay for performance.

Actually I don't think the battery life (in the Studio 15) will be all that bad. Clarksfield is pretty efficient when idle or lightly stressed. Wait for a few tests is the best thing. But it will still be quite a bit shorter than a basic Core2Duo. Thats just the price you pay for performance.

found another this morning:
    41779220.jpg

you're right. those other reviews didn't seem to take the power saving features into consideration at all. It actually looks pretty good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement