Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual monitor problem

Options
  • 28-10-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Why did I think I could just plug em' both in and they would work?:rolleyes:

Ok, Tried adding a second monitor to the computer at home there, the status light would blink but the screen remained black. I tried a couple if settings in CCC and now I am left with two black screens even after a couple of restarts. I can get the primary monitor ( LG) to display in safe mode. Let me know if you guys need anymore info.

LG M227WD (primary)
    Packard Bell VT700 (secondary)
    XFX 4890
    Vista Home

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

helios12 wrote: »
    Why did I think I could just plug em' both in and they would work?:rolleyes:

Ok, Tried adding a second monitor to the computer at home there, the status light would blink but the screen remained black. I tried a couple if settings in CCC and now I am left with two black screens even after a couple of restarts. I can get the primary monitor ( LG) to display in safe mode. Let me know if you guys need anymore info.

LG M227WD (primary)
    Packard Bell VT700 (secondary)
    XFX 4890
    Vista Home
    Ok, first things first, get your PC working with 1 Monitor first :P Unplug the 2nd monitor, and get into windows. Once you do that, Make sure you have the latest Drivers for the 4890.
    Then, it should be as easy as turning off the PC, attaching the 2nd monitor to the 2nd Output and booting up and Windows Detecting the Monitor.

If that doesn't work, try using ONLY the 2nd monitor on the output that feeds your primary monitor. if that works, it means your 2nd output port is shot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Ok, first things first, get your PC working with 1 Monitor first :P

Thats what I'm at now. Both monitors are working fine on other computers independently. However, niether will work on my own computer now!:( They get as far as the Vista loading screen and then its just black screen all the way. Like I was saying earlier, the only joy I'm getting is in safe mode.

Thats what I'm at now. Both monitors are working fine on other computers independently. However, niether will work on my own computer now!:( They get as far as the Vista loading screen and then its just black screen all the way. Like I was saying earlier, the only joy I'm getting is in safe mode.

Oh Dear... That's not good >.<

Seems like something screwy has gone on with the drivers. If you can set your BIOS to use the Motherboard onboard graphics, set it to use that and boot to windows. If that fails, it's a Vista problem, and I can only recommend booting to safe mode to backup everything, wipe clean and reinstall vista. If it works, it might be a driver problem.

If it does work, uninstall the drivers for your card, remove the card and boot up again, then turn off and re-install the card and latest drivers.

tried setting the onboard graphics from the bios but no joy. Quick Google shows the 4890 playing up a bit with Dual monitors ...hmm. Anyway, I'm off to reinstall. Cheers for the help Leman

tried setting the onboard graphics from the bios but no joy. Quick Google shows the 4890 playing up a bit with Dual monitors ...hmm. Anyway, I'm off to reinstall. Cheers for the help Leman

:(
    Well, let us know how it turns out anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

I've two monitors on 4890, just upgraded to Crossfire 4890's with no real problems.

Are you using Catalyst or are you using Windows to set it up ?

Excuse the delay, would you believe it was a bad DVI-VGA connector that was the root of the problem? I tried a second one and it worked perfect..of course this was after I reinstalled everything :rolleyes:

Excuse the delay, would you believe it was a bad DVI-VGA connector that was the root of the problem? I tried a second one and it worked perfect..of course this was after I reinstalled everything :rolleyes:

Owch, I know that feeling!

New Motherboard time yay! :D

Advertisement