Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will the next Irish EU Commissioner be?

Options
  • 28-10-2009 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to who the next Irish EU Commissioner will be. Names have been suggested in the last few weeks, John Bruton, Mary Coughlan, Maire Geoghan-Quinn. Today the name of the Attorney General Paul Gallagher was added to the mix. Why don't they just send David Byrne (former AG & Commissioner) again, at least he knows what to do, and has done it before. Any more suggestions as to who'd do a good job, or who is likely to be nominated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

Pat Cox is an obvious choice given he has 15 yrs experience in the European Parliament and was its president for 2 years. Also, his central role in the Lisbon Yes campaign has probably won him a lot of goodwill amongst EU politicians.
    Not sure if he's interested in the job though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pat Cox would be the bookies favourite and hard to see past him for sure! But does he want the job?

John Bruton would be second choice imo, would do a decent job too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Mary Harney has also been talked about as Commissioner. I don't know that Cowen would be comfortable sending Pat Cox to Europe, I think Cowen would be happier to send his own man or woman.

Irishwoman Catherine Day (sec gen of the EU Commission) spoken about in the Irish Times yesterday as an outside possibility for the Commissioners job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

imme wrote: »
    Mary Harney has also been talked about as Commissioner. I don't know that Cowen would be comfortable sending Pat Cox to Europe, I think Cowen would be happier to send his own man or woman.

I have heard that Maire Geogeghan Quinn is in line. This will free up her position in the "Court of Auditors". Who is in line for that ? Only Eoin Ryan !

The three free senate seats are expected to go to Ebhlin Byrne, Shay Brennan, and possibly Maurice Ahern.

Effectively, it ensure that five unelected individuals, with FF leanings all get to ride the gravy train

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote: »

The three free senate seats are expected to go to Ebhlin Byrne, Shay Brennan, and possibly Maurice Ahern.

Effectively, it ensure that five unelected individuals, with FF leanings all get to ride the gravy train
    might they give the Seanad seat to Mary Fitzpatrick and the consequent Councillor job to Maurice?

Advertisement