Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Axim 50

• 28-10-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have a Dell Axim 50 that I have recently resurected from a desk drawer. I have wireless internet in the house that I normally use with my laptop. I want to be able to use the wireless on the Axim 50. The Axim 50 is wireless compatible and has the odessy software. I have set up the wireless connection on the Axim 50 and when I open the Odessy software I can see the connection and it shows connected however when I open the internet explorer it just goes to a file telling me how to set up anew modem. If I type in a web address in the address line it comes up with a message "This web page can not be accessed please go to Settings". Can anybody help me to be able to access the internet on the Axim 50 using my WiFi?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

This is only a thought, but what type of security is on your router and what security does the device support?

eg. your router could be using WPA but the device might only support WEP given its a fairly old pda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cwirl

Gerry,
    The device is set to WPA, When I look at the set up on my laptop it is WPA2-PSK and it works, as far as I know the WiFi is WPA. There is no WPA2-PSK option on the device. Do you think this might be the problem? The Device is connecting to the wireless and shows signal strenght and everything but can not use the web browser?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

cwirl wrote: »
    Gerry,
    The device is set to WPA, When I look at the set up on my laptop it is WPA2-PSK and it works, as far as I know the WiFi is WPA. There is no WPA2-PSK option on the device. Do you think this might be the problem? The Device is connecting to the wireless and shows signal strenght and everything but can not use the web browser?????

It would most likely be that the Axim doesn't support WPA2. You could simply change the router and laptop to use WPA and test your Axim connection again. WPA2 is more secure, however, you might have to forgo the additional security it offers so you can connect your Axim to your home Wi-Fi network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cwirl

It is eircom broadband. Any suggestions how to change router and laptop to WPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

If your on windows go to start-->run-->type "cmd"
    At the command prompt type "ipconfig"
    Find the gateway IP address (something like 192.168.1.1)
    Put that number in your browsers address bar

From there it will depend on the router, but you should have a section for wireless security and you should be able to change it there.

If your laptop loses connection when you change the setting you should be able to reconnect by just double clicking the network in the list of available networks. Make sure you have the password to hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement