Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Games

• 28-10-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hi, i want to go retro with a few presents this year... i am looking for some board games such as connect 4, cluedo, trivial pursuit (really want this one) and any other cool ones.

Been looking around and they seem expensive so was hoping someone might know a place i can get them on the cheap.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Sometimes tesco's will have them very cheap but certain games will only be there once in a blue moon. I got connect 4 but it was called something else and was very cheap. otherwise try smyths or go online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Board games have notoriously small profit margins for retailers. When i had a store in liffey valley, i had about 12% profit on Monopoly and managed to bring it up to 17% if I bought certain quantities and paid on time.

When you apply rent / wages, games were in reality loss leaders.

You will find some 3 for 2 deals on in the likes of smyths, but mainly on the connect 4 / twister types. These are nearly all financed by the manufacturers and usually end in november.

the good news is many of the popular baord games are made in waterford incl trivial pursuit, twister, monopoly, cluedo etc etc.

As for buying in the UK - the rrp's between the 2 countries reflect current exchange rates in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

mcaul wrote: »
    Board games have notoriously small profit margins for retailers. When i had a store in liffey valley, i had about 12% profit on Monopoly and managed to bring it up to 17% if I bought certain quantities and paid on time.

When you apply rent / wages, games were in reality loss leaders.

You will find some 3 for 2 deals on in the likes of smyths, but mainly on the connect 4 / twister types. These are nearly all financed by the manufacturers and usually end in november.

the good news is many of the popular baord games are made in waterford incl trivial pursuit, twister, monopoly, cluedo etc etc.

As for buying in the UK - the rrp's between the 2 countries reflect current exchange rates in most cases.

Good info there, thanks

Trivial Pursuit and Cluedo will do it. as well better having the money staying in Ireland if they are made here..

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Online wise you could try amazon.co.uk, lots of choice there: http://www.amazon.co.uk

Advertisement