Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what other computers parts are crushed by PSU beside motherboard?

Options
  • 28-10-2009 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi guys,
    i have a problem with my dell xps 430 desktop.i've recently bought 650W PSU because current 375 Dell PSU couldn't properly supply me ATI 4850HD.I mean that ingame graphics was sound but the movements and all were followed by lags.i'm aware that this video card requires at least 600W PSU on board so i bought one and installed it.that's when problem started.my dell xps 430 just didn't start.i tried to solve the problem for some time then just phoned dell support.they told me that it's dell's motherboard which has max capacity of handling 425W Dell PSU.So it seems that 650W PSU just crushed dell's motherboard.the quiestion is that,if the motherboard is the only crushed part or some other parts were crushed as well?I mean like video card,proc and all other stuff which is usually placed on motherboard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sounds like rubbish to me. If the PSU fits and is connected correctly then everything is fine, unless you physically broke something. Not sure what you mean by 'crushed' your motherboard, unless you mean you wedged it in and physically damaged other parts. Also, power deficit to the card would manifest itself in shutdowns, reboots, blue screens, etc. In-Game lag is not really indicative of a lack of power at all...A 375W Dell PSU is probably OK for a 4850.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

as well as that the problem you describe seems irellevant. GPUs like the 4850 can get their own direct feed power from the PSU. As I think Terror tried pointing out to me the other day its not necessary on a high grade bus, but when youre dealing with OEM ware, the card does have a 6-pin power input on it.

Advertisement