Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if PSU crushed other computer pars installed on motherboard?

Options
  • 28-10-2009 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi guys,
    i have a problem with my dell xps 430 desktop.i've recently bought 650W PSU because current 375 Dell PSU couldn't properly supply me ATI 4850HD.I mean that ingame graphics was sound but the movements and all were followed by lags.i'm aware that this video card requires at least 600W PSU on board so i bought one and installed it.that's when problem started.my dell xps 430 just didn't start.i tried to solve the problem for some time then just phoned dell support.they told me that it's dell's motherboard which has max capacity of handling 425W Dell PSU.So it seems that 650W PSU just crushed dell's motherboard.the quiestion is that,if the motherboard is the only crushed part or some other parts were crushed as well?I mean like video card,proc and all other stuff which is usually placed on motherboard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

xwarriorx wrote: »
    hi guys,
    i have a problem with my dell xps 430 desktop.i've recently bought 650W PSU because current 375 Dell PSU couldn't properly supply me ATI 4850HD.I mean that ingame graphics was sound but the movements and all were followed by lags.i'm aware that this video card requires at least 600W PSU on board so i bought one and installed it.that's when problem started.my dell xps 430 just didn't start.i tried to solve the problem for some time then just phoned dell support.they told me that it's dell's motherboard which has max capacity of handling 425W Dell PSU.So it seems that 650W PSU just crushed dell's motherboard.the quiestion is that,if the motherboard is the only crushed part or some other parts were crushed as well?I mean like video card,proc and all other stuff which is usually placed on motherboard.

If you blew the motherboard, then you might just have. Only way to check is to replace the motherboard and see if anything else works, or replace it with the original power supply and see if it works.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

... What?! :confused:

AFAIK the XPS430 is a new machine. No proprietary Intel-itis or BTX crud, just ordinary parts in there.

That said, what kind of PSU was this? Brand and model name please. A cheap one could have detonated when stressed and possibly fried something else in there.

But why in God's name did you need a new PSU anyway?! I thought the XPS430 was built around the HD4850 nowadays? In which case if the included PSU wasn't up to the task then the entire product isn't fit for purpose. A decent 375W OEM jobbie (most likely HiPro or Delta, both decent manufacturers) could keep a basic desktop rig with a Q8200 and a HD4850 inside going just fine. 600W is total and utter tripe :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xwarriorx

Solitaire wrote: »
    ... What?! :confused:

AFAIK the XPS430 is a new machine. No proprietary Intel-itis or BTX crud, just ordinary parts in there.

That said, what kind of PSU was this? Brand and model name please. A cheap one could have detonated when stressed and possibly fried something else in there.

But why in God's name did you need a new PSU anyway?! I thought the XPS430 was built around the HD4850 nowadays? In which case if the included PSU wasn't up to the task then the entire product isn't fit for purpose. A decent 375W OEM jobbie (most likely HiPro or Delta, both decent manufacturers) could keep a basic desktop rig with a Q8200 and a HD4850 inside going just fine. 600W is total and utter tripe :mad:
    problem is that i experienced real lags while playing sort of games like RE5 on max settings.as far as i know it's not an option when you have this 4850hd video card.as an examply,last year i bought 9800gtx for me bro pc and i had to buy 650W supply cause that video card is kind of powerfull.ati 4850 hd is more or less the same as 9800gtx(i checked reviews on the web about both of them),so logical and practical conclusion was that my hd video card required at least 600W psu.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Dells are designed to just about do what it says on the tin. If you try modding them in any way, their insane cut-corner measures are exposed.

Basically, they want you to have to go back to them if your looking to have anything done with them.

I dont know what youve attempted since posting, but it sounds like ur psu and mobo and fit for the bin :-/ (I assume youve tried reassembling the original dell parts?). Otherwise, if you are trying to continue with the upgrade your probably going to have to replace a bit more than you bargained for.

If possible, post your dell psu & mobo and also the new psu u purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Not sure what you mean by real lags, but I think you mean a slowdown due to FPS issues..

What size and resolution monitor are you running?

Have you patched RE5 up to the latest version or read anywhere on the net there may be problems with 4850 and RE5?

Are you running the latest ATI Catalyst drivers for your ATI card?

How do other games run or ran on the 4850?

When upgrading pc's do NOT use logic.. some old video cards pull A LOT of power and some newer faster cards pull less power, your DELL 375 watt really should have been fine for your 4850 unless there was something faulty with the card.

In fact the new 600 watt could have actually been worse than your DELL 375 PSU.

• Advertisement

I have a sneaking suspicion you assumed that having a games rig means you could max out all RE5s settings. Probably on a 1080p screen to boot, which is already a bridge too far for the HD4850. Don't know if RE5's PC port even supports multithreading, and if it doesn't I'm guessing the weakass Q8200 choked when things got busy. This has everything to do with being sold a system that isn't suitable for your purposes, and nothing to do with the PSU.

And a 650W PSU for a 9800GTX?!? No no no no no NO!! Are you trying to make me cry?!?! :eek: Either you blew €90+ on an overkill PSU, or you blew somewhat less on a fake PSU that has 650W on the box, outputs 250W on a good day in real life, and is probably an old design that can barely muster 100W on the +12V rail before it goes into terminal overheat and detonates (as those horrid bargain-basement PoS units lack any kind of overload or overtemp protection at all) And I'm guessing you've inadvertantly gone this route with the XPS, put in a new PSU that's rated to give a third of what the original PSU was capable of in the first place, and blew your system to bits when it overheated, a cap or the transformer blew and the internal voltage surge nuked the mobo and possibly the CPU, memory and graphics. Maybe even the HDD. Epic fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

As much as I hate to say it, this is why you shouldn't mess about with this stuff unless you know what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    As much as I hate to say it, this is why you shouldn't mess about with this stuff unless you know what you are doing.

that kind of attitude never broke or fixed anything :)

Just make sure you do your research first, before you do something incredibly stupid... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Solitaire wrote: »
    Just make sure you do your research first, before you do something incredibly stupid... :o

Ehm, hes already purchased the xps

(sry, couldnt resist, bitch slap as appropriate)

• Advertisement

^ Ouch. True, but... ouch.

Advertisement