Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosbrien interchange, a section of the new road to the tunnel to open tomor.

Options
  • 28-10-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

By tomorow afternoon a section of the new road will open.
    The bigger of the roundabouts at Carew pk where the bridge is,you will now go under the bridge and onto a slip road which will bring you onto the road to Dublin(m7).
    If you now want to go straight into the city towards maldron hotel coming from adare side(m20), u will have to use a slip road before the bridge roughly 300 metres before the Carew park roundabout.
    That will bring you now onto the section of the road that will eventually lead to the tunnel,after travelling roughly 300 metres on the new road you will have to nearly do a Uturn and cross over the outbound lanes from the tunnel and then onto a slip road.This will now bring you down onto the small roundabout at Carew park.
    Temporary for now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

About bloody time, the traffic is mad there in the mornings and evenings, backed up all the way back past the Dorradoyle exit.

Removing access to the road up by the Maldron Hotel from the Southern ring road is shear stupidity and a sign of how incompetent these engineers and traffic planners are. The extra volume of traffic at the Tipperary Road interchange will be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Is that a definite that that road will be closed off? If that's the case - then people will be going down the back road by Old Crescent and in Rosbrien Road....can you imagine how that's going to pan out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

It makes no sense and every time I see a thread on it I go to post and it just turns into a mad rant . I cannot believe that someone was actually paid money to come up with this plan . You build a ring road to divert the traffic around the city , then you block off one of the access roads and send all the traffic back into the city again . The Tipp road junction ( which is already a farce ) and the Rosbrien Road plus the main Raheen road will be bedlam now . Traffic coming in from Dublin to this quarter of the town used to block up Childers Road , we build a ring road to shift them off it , then we block the access to this quarter and send them all back on it again .

My blood boils over this topic , if Billy would let me I would do a reply of just swear words . When anyone comes knocking on my door looking for a vote they will need to have the planners balls in a bag !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

to be honest if they close off the road going into the maldron it will just send me and alot of the people i work with down by the cresent shopping centre every day! thus increasing traffic...

Ring road FAIL!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its mainly down to the heads in the county/city council!! Forward planning my arse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is quite ironic, as when they originally opened the dual carriageway, they (planners and local space elected wasters) bragged how it was going to stop the horrific congestion in places like the Rosbrien road.

So now that the new road system nears completion, the same old places will go back to being bottlenecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I fail to see why building that overpass on the Coonagh side of the Shunnel warranted ripping up a whole section of the inbound N18 dual carriageway. I understand that there will have to be interruptions at some point to get this thing in place, but I think there are too many and no effort is made to minimise the impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 woggas

Its mainly down to the heads in the county/city council!! Forward planning my arse!
    It was a city council decision, county council officials tried to point out the obvious to them to no avail so far

Has it opened yet? I'd imagine there is going to be crazy there this evening with people confused at which slip road to take. Will be hitting it myself at around 5.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

bazz26 wrote: »
    About bloody time, the traffic is mad there in the mornings and evenings, backed up all the way back past the Dorradoyle exit.

Removing access to the road up by the Maldron Hotel from the Southern ring road is shear stupidity and a sign of how incompetent these engineers and traffic planners are. The extra volume of traffic at the Tipperary Road interchange will be unreal.

As much as I think the planners for this are incompetent idiots. The road has been closed off for a few weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

woggas wrote: »
    It was a city council decision, county council officials tried to point out the obvious to them to no avail so far

My apologies Woggas ;)
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Has it opened yet? I'd imagine there is going to be crazy there this evening with people confused at which slip road to take. Will be hitting it myself at around 5.00pm.

It wasnt open this morning

Jumpy wrote: »
    As much as I think the planners for this are incompetent idiots. The road has been closed off for a few weeks now.

If you're referring to the road by the Maldron - that was still open up to last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

LB6 wrote: »
    If you're referring to the road by the Maldron - that was still open up to last night.

Only coming from Cork direction, it has been closed to those from the Dublin road for over a month.

Not entirely - they have given you a diversion route - follow the route out the Cork Road- back up over the Dooradoyle flyover and back in the motorway - well that's what it was up until last night.

Now it looks that in order for you to get to the Maldron from the Dublin Road - rather than go through the malarkie of the city route, you have to come in as above - over the Dooradoyle flyover and back down the ramp for the Old Crescent Rugby Club and turn right at the Rosbrien Traffic lights - Maldron just up the road then on RHS.

Will be known as the Rosbrien Road Rat Run (RRRR) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Is that a definite that that road will be closed off? If that's the case - then people will be going down the back road by Old Crescent and in Rosbrien Road....can you imagine how that's going to pan out!
    Well if your going to Dublin coming in from adare m20 the traffic should move alot faster should be no stopping just go up a slip road and then one lane of the new road will break off into two lanes after 700m.
    And if your going into the city i think the traffic will be slower,going to be major problems at the Uturn crossing over both inbound and outbound carrigeways(temporary).The Uturn has to be seen to be believed?I dont know what mayhem will happen there,crashes for sure i would think so myself.
    As for the road opening it was nt open to traffic at 3pm but the casey s on horse and carts seemed to think it was?
    Hopefully be open tomor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Not entirely - they have given you a diversion route - follow the route out the Cork Road- back up over the Dooradoyle flyover and back in the motorway - well that's what it was up until last night.
    I dont understand why this diversion cant be permanent? as u pass under the bridge heading towards the maldron, you could easily fit a lane to the right that continues straight forward to the existing road.

zuroph wrote: »
    I dont understand why this diversion cant be permanent? as u pass under the bridge heading towards the maldron, you could easily fit a lane to the right that continues straight forward to the existing road.
    Permanent it cant go straight through.
    The rounabout at the moment at carew park thats out of shape will be gone.(The new layout at the moment allows this to take place)

The traffic exiting the tunnel into the dock road side heading towards Dublin will now merge with the m20 towards Cork, Adare Tralee.So the new slip road will cut across the out of shape roundabout,hence no through road to maldron!

arent the merging lanes in already?

zuroph wrote: »
    arent the merging lanes in already?

Well the lane outlined above cant really be done untill these roadworks(diverts) take place.

ah, I had another look at the site, and its the exit for the galway to cork route thats causing the trouble, it loops across the existing road. right. I see. hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Took the new road today.. what a joke.. drive along towards crescent for 2 mins then a crazy U-Turn back into the roxboro side!! these people should be shot. they honestly dont have a clue.. how can we make these "planners" answer for their stupidity?

Is it open so??That Uturn will cause mayhem.

I passed there at around 19:00 and the slip road before the overpass to take you toward the Maldron Hotel was open. If going towards Dublin you still had to use the old roundabout rather than the overpass. Traffic was moving a bit better though, plenty of signs approaching the interchange telling get in lane but you still had the odd few drivers in the wrong lane indicating to move over at the last minute.

I give it 12 months and they will be looking to make adjustments to this interchange again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

took the road this evening...dont worry all its going to take is one bad artic driver for that u turn to be non existant...

Advertisement