Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Good Whiskey

• 28-10-2009 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Anyone recommend a good whisky ...

very broad question I know .. Jameson's is nice ... I prefered the Cardhu ...

someone recommend Crown Royal , its a canadian whisky ...

what do the drinkers here think ?

a nice bottle for christmas ...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Bushmill Black Bush is my favourite in the < €30 price range.
    Has a rich full flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FedEx

OK ... what about in the <=€100 range ??

thanks btw ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

No brainer
    Middleton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

starn wrote: »
    No brainer
    Middleton

If you know somewhere that sells Middleton for 100 or less then don't keep it a secret!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

FedEx wrote: »

thanks btw ...

The Tyrconnels are very nice - the finishes, not the standard bottling. Also, there's Jameson Gold. Jameson 12 and Powers 12 also very good.

There will be a new Connemara single cask sherry finish in the Celtic Whiskey Shop soon too...

Too many scotches to mention in this price range. Highland park 18 is superb, not 100% sure of the price. Lagavulin 16 also great. Talisker 10 and 18, Ardbeg 10 (very peaty), Bowmore 18...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

thanks btw ...
    Jamesons 18yo is e100
    Its worth springing the for the middleton for e120

but, to get the best choice you should really say if you prefer whisky or scotch, as the best of each will be different

Mellor wrote: »
    Jamesons 18yo is e100

but, to get the best choice you should really say if you prefer whisky or scotch, as the best of each will be different

In Ireland, Jameson 18 is about e120, and the Midleton is now e150...

Just a personal choice, but I'd prefer the Jameson 18 to the Midleton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Mellor wrote: »
    Jamesons 18yo is e100

Surely whiskey or scotch, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Talisker is beautiful.

enda1 wrote: »

Only Irish whiskey and American whiskey are spelled with the e. So Canadian, Japanese, English, French, New Zealand, Australian... all spelled "whisky".

There are one or two individual exceptions, like Makers Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

midleton very rare is excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Jameson 12 is a great whiskey for the price and you could pick up two bottles of it for your budget . The Tyrconnel finishes are great - I prefer the port one . If I was spending the 100 I'd get a blackbush and a greenspot and have enough left for a regular powers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Brockagh wrote: »
    Only Irish whiskey and American whiskey are spelled with the e. So Canadian, Japanese, English, French, New Zealand, Australian... all spelled "whisky".

Does the Welsh stuff have an e ?:)

I think the Welsh stuff is without the E - but there is a Dutch one with the E - Millstone pure pot still .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Laphroig for me please.Gotta love the 'peat reek'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The Tyrconnels are very nice - the finishes, not the standard bottling. Also, there's Jameson Gold. Jameson 12 and Powers 12 also very good.

There will be a new Connemara single cask sherry finish in the Celtic Whiskey Shop soon too...

It's there already. It won't be the best choice if you don't like the peat flavours though.

I was very impressed by the Powers 12 myself. Any of the Greenore whiskeys are in your budget with the 15yr coming in at just under 100. The Tyrconnell range, also from Cooley may also be worth considering.

If you're spending ~ 100 why not go for the Powers 12 and a bottle of Green Spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Connemara or Glenfidich are also great buys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

thanks btw ...
    Black Bush and Middleton are the two everytime...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

yoichi 15 yr old is fantastic, it'll cost you about the same as a bottle of midelton but it's much better imo :)

ec18 wrote: »
    yoichi 15 yr old is fantastic, it'll cost you about the same as a bottle of midelton but it's much better imo :)

Is that a Japanese one ?

• Advertisement

It's there already. It won't be the best choice if you don't like the peat flavours though.

I was very impressed by the Powers 12 myself. Any of the Greenore whiskeys are in your budget with the 15yr coming in at just under 100. The Tyrconnell range, also from Cooley may also be worth considering.

If you're spending ~ 100 why not go for the Powers 12 and a bottle of Green Spot?

There's the one from the standard range, but I mean the Connemara being bottled for the Celtic Whskey Shop, single cask, 17 year old.

Midleton used to spell whisky without the e too, before it moved to the new one.

I'd buy the cheapest Greenore, as I don't see a huge difference between any of the ages.

The Celtic Whskey Shop will also have a single cask pure pot still, bottled for them, but it won't be cheap. IDL rarely do single casks for anyone. Never, except maybe for Glen Dimplex, but I don't know if that was a single cask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Silenus

Redbreast 12yr old Pure Pot Still retails for about 50eu, and is by far the best value for money currently.
    The Irishman is quite high in pot still and also good value, but try a Tyrconnell Sherry finish if you ever get the chance.
    The Celtic Whiskey shop are sampling Writers Tears(blended pot still) if you're passing.

I try to avoid overpriced blends, they have no age statement which is a bit unfair to the punter. Midleton is the perfect example of this, good and all that it is, but not worth 150eu per bottle.

Redbreast 15yr old is a cask strenght, unfiltered Pure Pot Still, nd much rarer than midleton as it won't be produced again, about 140ue also, but worth every cent.

Check this website(uner world whiskeys for the irish section) for some good bargains.

http://whiskyauction.com/

Redbreast 15 was available for 90 euro in Redmonds of Ranelagh, but I'm not sure if it still is, and some O'Brien's will still have the 12 year old for 35 euro.

Don't want to contradict anyone, but the Redbreast isn't cask strength. It's bottled at 46% abv. Still gives it a good bit extra. And they are releasing more of it, but at the higher price. It will be very limited, though.

Writers' Tears is only about 35 euro, and it's supposed to be a blend of pot still and malt - malt from the Midleton Distillery, which is very rare. I've tasted it and it's nice.

The whiskyauction prices are the current ones - most will go up before the deadline. Always happens. But you can pick up a bargain there.

I don't mean to be refuting everything as you're right, but they don't put an age statement on the Midleton because, while they do have some younger whiskey in it, there's a lot of 20+ year old whiskey in it, but they can only put an age on it corresponding to its youngest ingredient. It's very much designed around its taste, rather than focusing on the age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Paddy's. Cheap and not as sharp as Jameson's or Power's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

enda1 wrote: »
    Surely on an internet forum, shortened spellings can be let slide. (Txt spk nt incd)

I'm pretty sure enda was aware of this, as was I.
    He was being smart (or maybe pedantic) as I made a typo, that ironically has a significance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Glenfiddich 21 Year Old is the nicest whiskey I've ever tasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Silenus

Don't want to contradict anyone, but the Redbreast isn't cask strength. It's bottled at 46% abv. Still gives it a good bit extra. And they are releasing more of it, but at the higher price. It will be very limited, though.

Yep, you're right there, was thinking of Connemara Cask as i was writing that

but they don't put an age statement on the Midleton because, while they do have some younger whiskey in it, there's a lot of 20+ year old whiskey in it, but they can only put an age on it corresponding to its youngest ingredient. It's very much designed around its taste, rather than focusing on the age.[/quote

I understand it's all blended to taste as close to last batch, but it's one of the most expensive whiskeys out there, and the label just does'nt sell it or me. It needs more than the word "Rare" to get my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Glenfiddich 21 Year Old is the nicest whiskey I've ever tasted.

Glenfiddich 30 beats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

Green spot from Mitchells, worth considering, Mitchells own brand blended whiskey, I am always asked to pick up a few bottles for various family members at Christmas time.

• Advertisement

Get a bottle of the new Writers Tears - a pot still and malt blend - great stuff

Advertisement