Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WSA Startup Error Message

• 28-10-2009 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

Turned on Laptop and got an error message saying Btdna.exe - WSA startup failed and something about Winsock. I can't get onto internet, using desktop at moment, as the wireless is turned off and wont turn on, windows firewall won't turn on. The last thing I installed was Kaspersky anti virus, trial version. Uninstalled that and restarted laptop but made no difference. Laptop is using Vista if that makes difference. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sounds like malware :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

What would be the best way of getting rid of it since I can't connect to internet. Can you recommend a software that I could download on desktop and transfer over?

Ran a windows malware software and windows defender and found nothing, ran Kaspersky 2010 and found 1 virus, 1 adware and something else but the problem is still there. Is there anything else I can do?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you can get online via ethernet, try either Trend's Housecall service or the F-Secure Online Scan.

F-secure also do an EasyClean product that might sort out your problem - you can download it here. Failing that, they also do a linux-based rescue CD that you can download here.

(I know, I sound like an F-secure shill - we've got a campus licence for their products at work and I've found them pretty good.)

Cheers, will give it a go and see what happens, this is very annoying and would love to get the laptop going again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Can't really help other than offer that Btdna.exe is an additional program installed with BitTorrent most of the time. I have no idea what it is for or what it does but there you go.

Edit: Quick Google found this:

btdna.exe is the BitTorrent peer-to-peer content distribution network. It uses excessive system and memory resources with no corresponding benefit. Applications such as these should be disabled to improve overall system performance. Some people say that BTDNA.exe process is a software to enhance download speed and p2p. But i would like to say you to disable unless you know you want to use BitTorrent, since this program may cause excessive network usage.

Here are some behavior found of btdna.exe;-

* Automatically changes your firewall settings to allow itself or other programs to communicate over the internet
    * Registers a Dynamic Link Library File
    * Adds a Registry Key (RUN) to auto start Programs on system start up
    * Can communicate with other computers using TCP protocols
    * Opens browser pop ups
    * The Process is packed and/or encrypted using a software packing process
    * This Process Deletes Other Processes From Disk
    * This process creates other processes on disk
    * Executes a Process
    * Writes to another Process's Virtual Memory (Process Hijacking)
    * Creates a TCP port which listens and is available for communication initiated by other computers
    * Uses DNS to retrieve the IP address for web sites
    * Adds products to the system registry
    * Executes Processes stored in Temporary Folders
    * Can communicate with other computer systems using HTTP protocols
    * This Process sends MIME Email
    * Changes to the file command map within the registry

I can't get the stupid laptop going, windows won't start up properly, keep getting windows startup failure, help doesn't work, wireless board won't enable, can't even get a lan connection to work. I never realised how unhelpfull vista really is until now, it won't let you do a bloody thing. I can't connect to internet to update virus software or do anything. AHHHHH may have to just accept defeat and bring it to somebody to get windows reinstalled, can't think of another option at moment. Anybody know anybody in the wexford region that is any good?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you've got your Vista install media, you could try booting from the installation disc, selecting the Repair My Computer option and use the System Restore option. It's not ideal but is likely to be less hassle than having to reinstall the entire system.

Advertisement