Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid / Semi Solid Flooring at GOOD price

Options
  • 29-10-2009 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I've just moved into a new apartment (1st floor) and I want to get wooden floors for the hallway and living/dinng area.
    I went to Brooks today and they quoted me €2255 for 45 square yards of Burgandy Oak (Solid). Thats inclusive of the adhesive mat. The wood was nice but not great, a little to shiney. I wanted to get something with a distressed look and feel to it.

Is this price steep or reasonable? Does anyone know of anywhere with good flooring deals on? Don't mid paying the same or a little more if its quality wood.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 irishlion

hi there , just a quick post to let you know that doors n' floors , boucher road , belfast have some cracking deals on floors at the moment , plenty of floors with the slight groove in them that you are looking for

oh .... and engineered are better !

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

How can engineered be better?

Timber floors are what they are..TIMBER ....real solid timber that can be
    sanded and varnished from time to time.
    Anything else is just a cheap imitation .

ehh? an engineered board can be sanded or varnished too ?

go to any decent supplier nowadays and they will all warn to stay clear of solid and stick with semi-solid , main reason is that they allow for slight movement on a floor , unlike solid when sometimes tiny gaps may appear .....

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

irishlion wrote: »
    ehh? an engineered board can be sanded or varnished too ?

go to any decent supplier nowadays and they will all warn to stay clear of solid and stick with semi-solid , main reason is that they allow for slight movement on a floor , unlike solid when sometimes tiny gaps may appear .....

Why try and reinvent the wheel?

Timber flooring has been around for hundreds of years,creaks,cracks,knots
    expansion.It is normal and healthy for a timber floor to contract and expand that is what gives it the beauty and character, Don't mind what the sales personall are telling you.
    What you are buying is an imitation floor...you may as well buy a sheet of lino.....

• Advertisement

oh dear ......

you will really need to brush up on your homework , ill leave you with this thought ......

search many of the threads on these boards regarding our conversation .....
    you will find the vast majority would agree ! .....

i wouldnt be touching solid ! the visual difference is none . im sure this argument would obviously annoy the solid wood owners out there as they paid well above the odds for a floor that they think is better , just because its solid ?? lol ..........

ive seen many of my friends solid wood floors give grief over the years and many have wished they had gone semi ...

i dont think its me being fooled by the sales guys !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Sorry I have to agree with the solid wood floors. You can try and sell your engineered floor all you want but NOTHING would beat a real wood floor especially after a few years and the character really starts to give it its beauty.

Solid wood floors are a decent price at the moment like €36 sqyard for solid walnut.

Advertisement