Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another RTW Itinerary

• 29-10-2009 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I’m off on a solo RTW trip in the new year. Am just finalizing my route. Any suggestions/ comments on my rough itinerary:

Fly From Dublin to London early January 2010
    Fly London to Amman
    Spend 18 days in Israel/Jordan

Fly to Delhi late January 2010
    Spend approx 47 days in India Nepal

Fly from Delhi to Bakgok
    Spend 60 days around Thailand/ Cambodia/ Vietnam/ Laos (march/ April/ may)

Overland through Malaysia to Singapore. 26 days including possible trip to Borneo

Fly to Jakarta
    20 days in Indonesia (mainly bali and lombok)

Fly from bali to Darwin (early July )
    35 days to make my way down to Melbourne

Fly from Melbourne to Auckland
    22 days exploring NZ

Fly from Auckland to Santiago (early september)
    South America was a recent addition to my itinerary so I ‘m leaving it vague(any suggestions appreciated/). Have about 80 days to play with. Plan to visit Chile fly to Peru down to Bolivia . hope to spend a good bit of time in Argentina before finishing up with 2 weeks in Brazil and flying home from Rio

I know it’s fairly packed but this is my one chance to see a lot of the world. I think I will be booking through trailfinders using the one world explorer package…

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Just make sure you get no stamps from israel in your passport or you'll have trouble entering other countries. Especially Malaysia and Indonesia. They used to just stamp a seperate sheet of paper similar to Cuba but apparently recently they've been stamping passports if the tourist doesn't mention it. I've had trouble with some countries because i have an exit stamp for the land crossings into both Egypt and Jordan. When some countries see this they know that you came from israel regardless of whether you have a stamp or not. Even though i was visiting Palestine in my own mindset.

You seem to have it all figured out roughly. The Australia/New Zealand leg will be expensive since it doens't look like you'll be working. Also South America is huge. Don't try be too ambitious. Better to see the few properly than loads and not really get to experience them.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sin1981

Hi OP,

Your trip sounds amazing!! I'm planning a rtw myself, but prob won't leave til later in 2010. One thing I noticed on the OneWorld site, and maybe you've already copped this, is that there is a drastic price difference between sterling and Euro, so maybe Trailfinders will let you book/pay in sterling. This might mean starting your intinerary in London (and getting your own flight over) or maybe even flying out of Belfast would help. You might save a few hundred by doing that.

Good luck and have a great time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mectavba

OP...how much funds will u have or how much do u think the whole thing will cost you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Interesting that you are going to Israel. I've been traveling now for nearly 8 months. They are not regarded as the most friendliest people. They travel in very large numbers. Lots in fact cant tolerate them. It will be interesting to hear what it's like in the country itself. By the way my comments and other peoples comments are not political and have nothing to do with their policies. They just aint liked. Have other posters here came across this?

Your trip sounds amazing by the way!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

darrenh wrote: »
    Interesting that you are going to Israel. I've been traveling now for nearly 8 months. They are not regarded as the most friendliest people. They travel in very large numbers. Lots in fact cant tolerate them. It will be interesting to hear what it's like in the country itself. By the way my comments and other peoples comments are not political and have nothing to do with their policies. They just aint liked. Have other posters here came across this?

I met a lot of Israelis when I was travelling, they were loud and drunken but I think that's because they travel when they get out of the army and really seem to let loose. Kind of like living with parents who never you out past 9pm and then heading off to college - you'd be falling into bushes in no time.
    I spoke at length with quite a few of them while I was away. All had horrific stories about the army service they had no choice but to do. One lad had the job of finding out who a suicide bomber had been, tracing down his family and burning their home. He hated it but had no choice.

I sincerely doubt the regular folk would be the same. It would be akin to travelling down Dame street at 3am on a Sunday morning and saying all Irish people are like that.

Nice itinerary by the way. Are you looking for advice? Suggestions? I always wonder about these posted itineraries. Are we meant to put you off places/suggest other places?
    A RTW trip is a personal thing, No way can anyone tell you where to go, it's about going where you've always wanted to go.
    If you check other threads you will find I have written a lot about travellers fatigue. You would be a shoe in for it with that trip, but there's no putting a travelled head on eager shoulders. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

darrenh wrote: »

I absolutely can't stand them. I've been to Palestine 3 times but of course i have to go to israel. And i met a lot of them that are quite similar to the traveling kind who just got out of the army. I'd be asked where i was going and what i was doing over there in conversation and as soon as i mentioned i was with an aid group they'd change and become really ignorant and abrupt. And when i'd meet somebody who didn't go that route they tended to pick up the fact that i had a cross and would look down on me because i wasn't jewish. Not all were like that but 3 times over there and i've had the same experience each time. The IDF are a shower of bastards at checkpoints and such.

I'm not sure of everybody elses experience of them but when i've been traveling i've encountered groups of them and they always love to ask what i think of the situation. Worst mistake is to answer. Play dumb and pretend you don't know anything about it. Most believe everything their government tells them and israel can't put a foot wrong. I almost came to blows because i said i seen an IDF soldier shoot an unarmed teenager. He swore it never happened and i was an anti semitic liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I think that looks like a well thought out trip except I think maybe Darwin to Melbourne in 35 days is a bit tight? If it were me, I'd skip Aus and spend that extra time in NZ.

Also, Israelis are the most kind hearted and chilled out folk I've ever encountered...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Thanks for all the advice guys. I’ve decided to keep Israel for another trip,. Sounds like too much hassle getting in there and getting into other countries after that. I plan to travel from Istanbul to Cairo overland some time in the future and I'll visit Israel then.

Dory, I was just looking for general feedback. I think it’s good to speak to people who’ve done this before. I’m aware of travel fatigue. I’ll deal with it when and if it happens. I Might settle somewhere for a while and change some dates. I rather have travel fatigue than the work fatigue I’m currently experiencing:D

Breadmonkey. I’ve changed the oz portion from Carins to Melbourne and I’ve given myself 47 days. Should be time enough.

Can’t wait to get away now. Going by myself. Hopefully will meet some cool folks along the way and have a great time:D

Advertisement