Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

staffies????

Options
  • 29-10-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

In need of a new dog as our poor 12 year lod dobbie cross,Abbey was put to sleep yesterday in my arms,,we knew she didn't have much time left but it happened way too soon so as you can imagine our house is way too lonely and quiet..
    We have been thinking about getting a staffie as our next dog, we've read the web sites and talked to people who own them and have got nothing but good reviews.,,,Can anyone out there give advise on what you make of them as a family pet,,,we have 3 kids 7,8,12 and 2 cats so we were hoping to get a puppy so they would grow up with all the inhabitants of the house..i'll take on board any advise given...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Staffies are brill family pets, great with kids and good with other dogs (of course, there are always exceptions to the rule). They have very sweet natures and tend to be quite placid, once they get out of the 18 months puppy phase! They eat a lot and need a good bit of exercise, but less than say a Spaniel, and are very good in the house (when trained properly).

There are quite a lot of Staffs in rescues around the country, I know you said you would like to get a pup but there are advantages to getting a rescue (they have been assessed so you will know their personality before you get them, pre-toilet trained etc.) and you could meet them (and bring the kids) to see if they are the dog for you. There are some listed here ---> http://www.irishanimals.ie/boxerstaff_homes.html but if you contact rescues there are probably more out there. Always worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

This is taken from a canadian website I copied it into an email once and now I can't find the original website, so feel free to discount it, I thought you would find it interesting though. (I'll keep looking for the website)
    There are only 2 out of 164 registered CKC breeds that by their very breed standard must be good with children: Staffordshire Bull terrier is one of them.

When university researchers in the UK were asked to rate the best 10 breeds for children they selected the Staffordshire Bull Terrier for their list based on its "bomb-proof" nature.

Most importantly, when researchers in Germany studied inappropriate aggression in several breeds they found the same level of inappropriate displays of aggression across all the dogs in the studies with one "notable" exception. None of the Staffordshire Bull Terriers displayed any types of aggression disorders. (The same could not be said for the test group of Golden Retrievers.)
    The history of this breed does go back to dog fighting in the 1800s. However, this does not make them fundamentally different from other breeds. In fact, 88 of the 164 recognized CKC breeds were originally bred to something of equal severity, from hunting and killing fierce predators (including bears, badgers and lions) to biting or attacking people.
    Few realize that all of the "bully" breeds were killed without hesitation (culled) if they showed any sign of human aggression. These dogs lived in the family homes of poor people; because of this they had to be excellent around families and children in particular. This resulted in a dog of exceptional intelligence and temperament.
    The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a one of the friendliest and silliest breeds in the dog world. They are highly intelligent and extremely submissive to people.
    But what really sets the breed apart is their instinctive love for children. They have earned the title of "nanny dog".

I think they make the perfect family dog, just be aware that your kids would not be allowed to walk him alone until 16 years old. It can also be difficult to find somewhere that your staffie can have some off lead time as they must be on a lead in public.

EDIT: as with any dog training needs to start straight away, and they are a physical breed, plenty of exercise is needed but this can be in the form of a regular length walk then play in the house, they love to wrestle.

Actually (here I go off on a tangent) I was fascinated watching my dog, who is a cross, "learn" how to play with other dogs, instead of doing the usual jumping around, he was swinging his little ass around to put the others off balance, he didn't use his mouth a lot, but his body weight when playing, he still does this in the house if he's looking for a game, you could be sitting on the couch beside him, to suddenly have an bum in your cup of tea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Staffies are great pets, they are often referred to as the 'nanny dogs' due to the fact they are so good with children. We had one when I was younger and she was the most lovable thing ever, a real dote. They are quite playful but they tend to know their limits when playing also, well our one did anyway :D

They are in general a small to medium sized dog, and very very clean in the house.

I would definitely recommend the rescue option, staffies seem to have a bad reputation and a lot are left in pounds/shelters are people are less inclined to look at them as an option ... a real shame!

Sorry to hear about your own dog passing away btw, what i would maybe recommend though is to wait a while before you rush into getting another dog maybe?

Other than that best of luck with your search ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

When I say small it would be in comparison to a greyhound or newfie in fairness, do not mistake it with the size of a chihuahua! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

When I say small it would be in comparison to a greyhound or newfie in fairness, do not mistake it with the size of a chihuahua! :D

well considering we're going from a rather large dobbie cross(she was a beaut)
    a staffie would be a medium dog,,,
    thanks for the replies and everything that is coming back is exactley what i've been hearing from people who i've talked to who've owned them and any where i look on the web i cant find any negative said about them,,they seem too good to be true,,not that i'm complaining as i've always like them :D

• Advertisement

She's lovely :)

I remember when I was younger, my dog Bart (I did say I was younger) was killed on the road. I can still honestly say that it was one of the most devestating days of my life. A few days later, my dad brought home another dog. For about 2 years I hated that dog, I feel awful for it now, it was obviously not his fault, and he was a sweatheart, but in my childs brain, he was there as a replacement, and there could be no replacement for bart. Before you decide to get another dog, it might be an idea to let a bit of time pass and give yourself and your family time to grieve for a very important family member. Of course, you know your family better than I do, but I thought I'd share that childhood memory of a time like you're going through now.

Ok some negatives on Staffies:

They can be quite headstrong.

They have strong jaws and they like to chew. (kongs help!)

They have to be fully controlled at all times, not because of them, but because of perception. There is nothing nicer than seeing a family out walking their well behaved restriced breed. I think they are a great advertisment for how a dog is shaped by his environment.

They are clowny dogs, great fun, but hard to switch off. They excite easily when young.

They generally have no fear, of people, situations etc so you have to be their "brain" when out and judge situations for them. (now this may be typical but not true for my boy who is afraid of traffic and being in the car)

They tend to be farty. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

also as they are on the rectrictied list not only can ur kids not walk the dog till their 16 also they are supposed to be muzzled while out at all times, and lead has not to be longer than 2ft. Also u will have to get used to people hanging on to their kids when u pass saying something stupid to the child like, dont go near that dog it will go for you, also people will cross the road. Also while out walking, ur dog will prob be jumped on by smaller dogs usually of lead while yours is on lead and it will be yours and your dogs fault.

this is what happens to us alot of the time when out walking are girl who by the way is the best laid back dog ever. also we often get stopped by certain people to ask will we sell her, is she good at fighing. a well know lad in are town has threatened us because he wants her. he is under the impression that she is a pitbull, who by the way i have also owned, she died of old age 3 yrs ago, who also was a brill dog with kids cats other dogs. so just to let u know the problems you might come across if u decide to get one of these lovely dogs.

Also u will have to get used to people hanging on to their kids when u pass saying something stupid to the child like, dont go near that dog it will go for you, also people will cross the road. Also while out walking, ur dog will prob be jumped on by smaller dogs usually of lead while yours is on lead and it will be yours and your dogs fault.

I got annoyed one day when a father insisted his child rub the dog, thats all well and good, but it was had been raining, the ground was muddy and the dog was excited, I was worried he'd jump and knock the child over. Thankfully he seemed to have a suss on what was happening and sat quietly enjoying the rub. No muddy kids that day. :D

I think that for every bad expereince you have with regards to people, you have a good one too. There tends to be a sort of understanding with people who know and understand restricted breeds and a lot of people go out of their way to be friendly too.

That small dog thing is very true :D. I found that when I had other dogs as well. In fact, I'd nearly bet that any good owner who keeps their dog under control has experienced this.

They do need to be muzzled, but a halti collar is sufficient afaik. I found a halti great for walking harley as it gives me more control.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

It can also be difficult to find somewhere that your staffie can have some off lead time as they must be on a lead in public.

By law all dogs are supposed to be on a lead in public.

Staffies are an amazing breed. Id definitely recommend getting one.

The attitude of some people towards them astounds me. Its just complete ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

also as they are on the rectrictied list not only can ur kids not walk the dog till their 16 also they are supposed to be muzzled while out at all times, and lead has not to be longer than 2ft.

i think it's 2 metre's?

http://www.ispca.ie/Restricted-Dog-Breeds.aspx#

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Environment%20&%20Waste/Veterinary/Dog%20Control%20Service/Restricted%20Breeds

Where did they get this figure from "Fines of up to €1,269.74 can be imposed for breaches of this legislation."

Also u will have to get used to people hanging on to their kids when u pass saying something stupid to the child like, dont go near that dog it will go for you, also people will cross the road. Also while out walking, ur dog will prob be jumped on by smaller dogs usually of lead while yours is on lead and it will be yours and your dogs fault.

ha :D i used to get people coming up to try and pat Tyson (boxer maybe Staff lab cross) he is a handsome fella, but used to be very skitish of people. He's good now though. But now I have Roxy German Shepherd I get the crossing the road scenario, and she's the quitest most lovable dog ever, she only wants strokes

• Advertisement

Anoeta wrote: »
    By law all dogs are supposed to be on a lead in public.

Staffies are an amazing breed. Id definitely recommend getting one.

The attitude of some people towards them astounds me. Its just complete ignorance.
    By law all dogs must be under control in public. Not necessarily on a lead.

The rest of your post I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

The rest of your post I agree with.

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

+1 to the above. I avoid several dog walking areas around town because of these kind of people. Frustrating to put it mildly but they're only minor cons in comparison. I have two "restricted breeds" so I get this twice as much. :rolleyes: Wouldn't change anything to do with them for all the tea in China though :)

not sure on that

ISPCA http://www.ispca.ie/Restricted-Dog-Breeds.aspx#
    These dogs must be securely muzzled and kept on a dog chain or leash. not more than 2m long, in a public place and supervised by someone aged over 16 years who is capable of controlling the dog.

Cork County Council http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Environment%20&%20Waste/Veterinary/Dog%20Control%20Service/Restricted%20Breeds
    These dogs, or strains and crosses of them, must be kept on a short, strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them.
    These dogs, or strains and crosses of them, must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place.

Irish Statutes http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0442.html
    (2) A person shall not permit a dog to which this article applies to be in a public place unless such dog is:—

(i) securely muzzled; and

(ii) being led by a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding two metres in length, by a person over the age of sixteen years who is capable of controlling the said dog.

:) confusion!!

I said that staffies had to be kept on lead by law, Anoeta said ALL dogs had to be, so my post about that not being the case, was about all non-restricted dogs. Sorry, I can see where the confusion came in, I didn't make that clear in the post.

:) confusion!!

I said that staffies had to be kept on lead by law, Anoeta said ALL dogs had to be, so my post about that not being the case, was about all non-restricted dogs. Sorry, I can see where the confusion came in, I didn't make that clear in the post.

oh no - what a numpty I am :o re-read and it's clear that's what you meant - me trying to work and post at same time - must remember i am male and can only do one thing at a time
    By law all dogs must be kept under effective control – owners may be held liable for any injury or damage caused if their dog attacks a person or livestock.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/DogControl/

this makes interesting reading http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/StatisticsandRegularPublications/DogControl/FileDownLoad,19869,en.xls

2008 20,000 dogs seized/surrended/collected 10,000 PTS

oh my god, going slightly OT but bare with me - UK figures for strays

105,068 dogs collected - 7,892 PTS - 8% as opposed to Irelands 50%!

Yep, it's a disgrace. Irelands animal welfare policies are from the dark ages. Some of Irelands rescues end up in the UK too. AFAIK a lot of greyhounds go to france for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

It was 17,000 PTS a few years back, so at least there's some progress... I'd say an awful lot of the rehomed dogs get sent abroad actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

as a ,at one time show and breeder of staffies,i feel i am in the position to say ;the staffie is the best all all breeds,when i first started 30 years ago you would only see them in the show ring,never in the street, with the staffie you will find it loves people and in a perfect world it needs kids its a tough dog and can take all the knocking about kids do ,and it will love it,if it gets a chance it will try to sleep on the bed with the kids,it will walk for hrs if thats what you want, i know its on the restricted list in ireland to where a muzzle ,but the ministry who came out with that hasent a clue,the even put the english bulldog on that first list,and any idiot knows you cannot put a muzzle on a dog that does not have a muzzle,you go for it, get a staffie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Sorry this is totally off topic but am I reading all these posts correctly?

You are allowed to legally own a pit bull or staffie dog in Ireland??:confused:

I thought I read they were illegal and if you had one the correct authorities could take them away??:confused:

You can't have any restricted breed in a Dublin City Council controlled estate (possibly other council areas - open to correction). Apart from that there's nothing stopping you owning any breed in Ireland.

GalKiefer wrote: »
    You can't have any restricted breed in a Dublin City Council controlled estate (possibly other council areas - open to correction). Apart from that there's nothing stopping you owning any breed in Ireland.

So if I wanted to have one in Donegal I could then?:)

I love them dogs!!! This is excellent news:D

ToniTuddle wrote: »

Restricted Dog Breeds in Ireland

The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 specify 10 breeds which need strict control.

American Pit Bull Terrier
    Bull Mastiff
    Doberman Pinscher
    English Bull Terrier
    German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    Japanese Akita
    Japanese Tosa
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Rottweiler
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Every other strain or cross-breed of these dogs are also covered.

These dogs must be securely muzzled and kept on a dog chain or leash. not more than 2m long, in a public place and supervised by someone aged over 16 years who is capable of controlling the dog.

Source: http://www.ispca.ie/Restricted-Dog-Breeds.aspx

Yes indeed, always wanted an APBT myself :)

I love them dogs!!! This is excellent news:D
    there are a lot of breeders of staffies in northern ireland

getz wrote: »
    there are a lot of breeders of staffies in northern ireland

Yeah but I wouldn't want to give my money to some so-called breeder who actually breeds alot of them for the illegal fighting. Even though I'd be saving one pup by buying it...i'd in a way be helping to fund the terrible crime!!:eek:

Yeah but I wouldn't want to give my money to some so-called breeder who actually breeds alot of them for the illegal fighting. Even though I'd be saving one pup by buying it...i'd in a way be helping to fund the terrible crime!!:eek:
    you must always go to a reg breeder unless you are rescuing a dog,most of the dogs that have been used in fighting are normaly stolen .

getz wrote: »
    you must always go to a reg breeder unless you are rescuing a dog,most of the dogs that have been used in fighting are normaly stolen .
    Would the regular breeder have papers to prove he is a legal breeder like??:confused:

Would the regular breeder have papers to prove he is a legal breeder like??:confused:
    yes most regular breeders ,show dogs and his breed will be reg with the kennel club uk/or ireland plenty of irish/english web sites, so you will find a breeder near you without a problem,i wouldent recommend getting a dog from a newspaper add,and it is said make sure you see its family,when you buy the pup you will get the pedigree papers with it ,and its family tree,my english bulldog[teddy] has a better family tree than the queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

I've posted this before on this forum but I have not really had any problems with anyone over my staffy. <deleted> Then again there are a load of staffies around where I live.

I wouldn't let the fact that they are a restricted breed put you off, cos the positives definitely outweigh any negatives. Staffies are fantastic dogs and are such good companions. My dog always puts a smile on my face as she will wag her tail practically anytime I look at her and when she's super happy she does the staffy wiggle which is great.

All in all, a staffy will make you very happy...
    <deleted, FFS>

Advertisement