Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workload in medicine?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I'm hoping to do med but just want to be really sure of what I'm getting myself in for work wise. And of course I know that everyone does different amounts of study to get the same results, but how would you compare it to the leaving cert?? (That being the toughest year study wise so far- well whenever i get around to it :D) Any opinions are appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

if i'm honest,i just sat three exams this week and I don't think I ever studied as much in my life.........leaving cert didn't come close. Get harder the further you go up but that's life and i'm going to have to do it all over again this weekend for an exam on mon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I got a first in my tough biomedical sciences degree. Even with that background, I had to work at least twice as hard in med school, and I doubt I did as well at med school (we had about 250 in my year, top guy got the medal, top 10 got honours, everyone else just got a "well done, you passed" letter. So, no real idea how well I did, but I didn't get anything close to a 1:1.

It's tough, though it's easier now by most accounts. But it's EXTREMELY enjoyable. I loved it.

I found the hardest work comes after graduation. Though I love my current job, so don't find it as stressful and exhausting as my previous jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm only in First Year, but I can safely say that the LC is a walk in the park compared to Medicine, already. There's an awful lot of extremely difficult work to do.
    Saying that, it's interesting and enjoyable for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Narkius Maximus

Funny. I thought studying medicine was easier than Leaving cert. More enjoyable subjects, interesting lectures etc etc and the joys of knowing if you failed you could always repeat at end of summer. LC on otherhand, pressure, pressure, pressure!!! Always told meself I'd only sit it the once-got 555 and 1st round offer into UCD. I was always lucky though. So I was bottom of the heap coming into medicine but graduated in top 20 of 160. It's all about hard work and graft. But if you enjoy it, hard work is nothing. Don't worry about workload, wait until you start working and then you will understand about workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Much obliged for the replies.:)
    Looks like I'll be turning into a study freak for the foreseeable :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I was amazed at how few lectures and coursework we have. We only have about 15 hours a week and only have 1 assignment in 1 module which we have about 6 weeks to do. There is so much learning on your own expected though and it's very easy to put everything off and find yourself cramming everything you've covered in the last 6 weeks into 1 week before your MCQ >_>

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Funny. I thought studying medicine was easier than Leaving cert. More enjoyable subjects, interesting lectures etc etc and the joys of knowing if you failed you could always repeat at end of summer. LC on otherhand, pressure, pressure, pressure!!! Always told meself I'd only sit it the once-got 555 and 1st round offer into UCD. I was always lucky though. So I was bottom of the heap coming into medicine but graduated in top 20 of 160. It's all about hard work and graft. But if you enjoy it, hard work is nothing. Don't worry about workload, wait until you start working and then you will understand about workload.

I got 555 in 2002; such a pity I didn't want to do medicine back then. Dreading the GAMSAT route.

Advertisement