Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick ways to get Wavy Boho Hair?

• 29-10-2009 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

My hair is naturally straight, tried to get curly wavy hair like the pic below but it takes me over an hour doing it with tongs and then I have to wait 2 hours before it's settled but then it doesn't last for very much longer.

Wanna know how there's a quick way of doing it? i.e. straight after washing hair? Day old hair? Special products?

wavy-hair-boho-waves.jpg

^ is the look I'm going for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Without a doubt, buy a barrel waver.
    It's speedy, you will do a whole head of thick waves boho stylee in about 10 mins, couple it with loreal's hot curl spray and you've got a style to last a couple of days.

I do it all the time and get loads of compliments. Saw one in TK Maxx in Galway for ~20 a few days ago. Best implement I ever bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Wash your hair before bed and pop in some rollers, loosely so you get those kinda curls and then just take 'em out in the morning?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Eviledna wrote: »
    It's speedy, you will do a whole head of thick waves boho stylee in about 10 mins, couple it with loreal's hot curl spray and you've got a style to last a couple of days.

I do it all the time and get loads of compliments. Saw one in TK Maxx in Galway for ~20 a few days ago. Best implement I ever bought.

I'd never heard of a barrel waver before....but now want one! :)
    Which brand do you have?
    I don't suppose you could post a pic of what your hair looks like after you use it, or a pic of a celebs hair which looks the same?

Just checked ebay and there is a babyliss one on there...for €50. Ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi Eviledna,

how the hell does that work?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Don't get a barrel waver or a curling tong, they aren't too good for that sort of curl.

I'd recommend the Babyliss curling wand. It's about 25-30 euro and you can do a full head of curls in about 15 mins.

• Advertisement

I have to disagree, for a beachy wavy look the barrel waver does create a great effect in about 50% of the time a curling wand would, and imo lasts a hell of alot longer.babyliss-pink-triple-barrel-waver-waving.jpg
    This is how to use it and an idea of how it looks afterwards. You just essentially "crimp" along the lengths of hair until you get to the ends. Put "Barrel Waver" into youtube, you'll find a ton of tutorials.
    Mine is the vidal sassoon one from a few years ago, but really any large and deep barrel waver will do.

Kate Hudson above is using a curling wand to get the effect, but that can take an age and fall out easily. In my experience the barrel waver is far more effective for a very similar effect.

Just checked ebay and there is a babyliss one on there...for €50. Ouch!
    But I linked to the same one on amazon for £24??

This is not something that you need to spend over 30 on, check tk maxx!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

but she doesnt want to crimp her hair like that she wants loose curls! personally I dont like that look, prefer curls.

I put the word crimp in inverted commas because the end result can be anything but that.

The pic I linked to is a bad example, couldn't find better. The op stated she wanted a
    quick way of doing it

When using the barrel waver, if you alternate the start point on each piece of hair it makes it look much more natural and curly. Here's a pic of taylor swift when she used a barrel waver to create S-waves
    TaylorSwift.FrazerHarrison.jpg

I think that looks pretty natural.

Any chance the OP would give her opinion?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

depends how poker staright your hair is, but have ya tried just plaiting hair when wet? Do two or three plaits, and you should get that wavy not curly look. Put in soemthing to hold it too, I dunno what, I'm naturally curly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I have to disagree, for a beachy wavy look the barrel waver does create a great effect in about 50% of the time a curling wand would, and imo lasts a hell of alot longer.babyliss-pink-triple-barrel-waver-waving.jpg.

That looks like a dodgy perm!

eth0 wrote:
    That looks like a dodgy perm!
    The pic I linked to is a bad example, couldn't find better
    I'm not one for going around with a "dodgy perm"-esque barnet tbh.:rolleyes:
    I am only trying to help the OP with her query about a quicker way to create boho waves.
    The first pic was posted to explain how to use them, which Tilly Girl asked for. It's not a good example of the end result, because that's a small waver, not a large barrel waver. I couldn't find a better pictographic tutorial, except videos on youtube.

Jeepers, sometimes when you try to offer help in here, you're shot right down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I'm not one for going around with a "dodgy perm"-esque barnet tbh.:rolleyes:
    I am only trying to help the OP with her query about a quicker way to create boho waves.
    The first pic was posted to explain how to use them, which Tilly Girl asked for. It's not a good example of the end result, because that's a small waver, not a large barrel waver. I couldn't find a better pictographic tutorial, except videos on youtube.

Jeepers, sometimes when you try to offer help in here, you're shot right down!

I'd imagine if you use that barrel waver thing as a starting point then muss it up a bit with your hands you'd get a fairly boho-y wave.

I think the first example wouldn't look so bad if they hadn't done her fringe too! Second example looks great tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

dearg lady wrote: »
    depends how poker staright your hair is, but have ya tried just plaiting hair when wet? Do two or three plaits, and you should get that wavy not curly look. Put in soemthing to hold it too, I dunno what, I'm naturally curly ;)

My hair is very straight, very thick aswell, have tried the plaiting thing before, didn't work very well.
    eth0_ wrote: »
    I'd recommend the Babyliss curling wand. It's about 25-30 euro and you can do a full head of curls in about 15 mins.

Link?
    Any chance the OP would give her opinion?;)

Poor you getting shot down for advice! I actually liked it, but I'm just a bit worried cos my hair is really flat on top, so it might turn out crap when it gets nearer the top! I would have to either do something like a half up do to avoid the flatness.

EDIT - Plus I don't like the way it's too samey, it looks like it's all the same, but I guess if you practice you can get better waves like the second pic you posted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I like that barrell weavermajig... def gona get myself one of those, looks really easy to use, as someone else above said, you could do the waves and them mess them up a bit to look curly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

This is interesting, I love having wavy/a bit curly hair but I can't use tongs to save my life and they got caught in my hair once as it's very thick. I often half dry my hair and french plait it overnight but sometimes it comes out a little odd.

Yeah it's mad handy, I have really thick hair and it works well to make it shiny.
    If you alternate the point at which you start waving it looks really natural, and lasts at least 2 days!

Advertisement