Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone learning Portuguese?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 2:03am

Especially Brazilian Portuguese? What do you use to learn/practice? What do you find easy or difficult? I'm just starting to learn and I find the pronunciation weird. :eek: I mean, I always knew it was very different to Spanish/Italian but I never realised just how different most of the sounds are. I'm finding some of them very difficult!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have a teach yourself Portuguese book which I haven't looked at in awhile.

I also listen to Os Mutantes and read the lyrics to their songs so slowly but surely I can pick up the vocabulary.

I like to read Portuguese because when it's written down, I find it very similar to Spanish and also I have a Spanish-Portuguese dictionary to cover words I don't get.

I don't have a clue about speaking though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

My wife and I are interested in learning to speak Portuguese. Are there any organised classes in the midlands area, or does anyone know of someone who could give lessons???

Ideally, we are looking for evening classes. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Just found a Brazilian channel on Sky - Record TV - 801.

It should with pronounciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

If you speak Spanish and have an MP3, google Ta Falado. I found these extremely useful for highlighting the differences between the two languages.

If you speak Spanish and have an MP3, google Ta Falado. I found these extremely useful for highlighting the differences between the two languages.

Just got around to listening to some of the lessons, they're really useful, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

You may find this somehow helpful, although a bit "robotic".
    http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php?sitepal

Whatever you write she/he will say it in the selected language. It might help with pronunciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Price of Turnips

hey OP
    the best way to learn is to visit Brazil, the people are extremely friendly and will really help you if you want to learn. I arrived 6months ago and can speak quiet good basic portuguese with no previous education with the language

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I find the pronunciation weird.
    Yes, it sounds weird at first. It's a matter of getting used to it. Routledge have a good Brazilian-Portuguese kit, about 4 CDs and a book, and doesn't cost the earth. It should set you back about €25. Michel Thomas stuff is good, but extremely expensive. For a basic course, Hugo books are generally very good and clear, and usually come with a single CD. I have mixed views on classes. They can provide motivation to learn, but double the cost and you could probably manage a cheap week in Portugal with sun and vinho etc. thrown in, and learn as much if you put your mind to it.Yes, Brazilian and European Portuguese are quite different, but a bit of the latter would do you no harm if you didn't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Alex152

Especially Brazilian Portuguese? What do you use to learn/practice? What do you find easy or difficult? I'm just starting to learn and I find the pronunciation weird. :eek: I mean, I always knew it was very different to Spanish/Italian but I never realised just how different most of the sounds are. I'm finding some of them very difficult!

I'm currently doing a self-study thing and always find the speaking part very difficult. I am using http://www.easylanguageexchange.com , here I connect with natives to have online conversations to practice my speaking.
    Maybe you could try that, see if it helps.

Advertisement