Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I crazy? - surprise tattoo

Options
  • 29-10-2009 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Ok, so I'm not sure whether to write the long or short version, so I think I'll write the long one and put it in a spoiler block to not bore ppl who want the low down. The spoiler contains the story leading up, after that is what I'm planning.
    I have 3 tattoos and after putting a decent amount of time into designing them and researching the artists, I found that they didn't do the best job they could, simply because I gave them a design to copy. For a while I have wanted to give an artist I trust the freedom to do something they want to do and produce something wonderful.

I arrived in New Zealand about 6 months ago and about 2 months ago I met a girl who had a spectacular Japanese half sleeve free-handed, minus colour. I was really impressed by the work. We got on very well, and I decided to go with her to her next session to get to know the artist and see the colour being added.

Two weeks later we went an hour out of town and on the train, I told her an idea I had being toying with, but had never really thought about pursuing. She thought it was a great idea, and the artist we were going to meet would also love it. I met the artist, and straight away she told him my idea, and he thought it was a great idea. I was hoping he'd say "I couldn't possibly do that", but he didn't. We were there for 4 hours, and at the end she asked me if I was going to book in, I asked the artist what he thought, and he said it was all he had been thinking about for the past 4 hours! I could hardly let him down now, could I? And I am a kind of random person, so despite my reservations...

I am booked in for a 4 hour session on Saturday the 14th Nov. with an artist I have met once and who's work I have seen very little of. I am offering him my whole back, to do with as he wants, for as much as it costs, for as long as he wants, in any way, shape or style that he wants. The only condition is... I am not allowed know what it is until he is completely finished, which could be minutes, or months!

So, what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Its on your back, worst case scenario.. not a place you look too often! Make sure you post a pic update!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If thhe artist has a braint bwetween his ears and some tallent in his hands it could be awesome.

MAYBE say to him/her what you lik/dont like before starting the piece.

If all goes well, you have an amazing fullback, fully custom tattoo, which is tattooallty awrsome.

Ok, I know I'm very drubk right now, but tryand understand what I mean.
    And reminde me to clarify tomorrow when I'm not so licke"!
    Good luck, i yo decied toy get it!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I think it's pretty cool, but you wanna be really damn sure and let the artist know what you DON'T like!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

i think its a brilliant idea!! the only part id be nervous about is that you don't seem to have picked the artist specifically.... you don't know how good/bad/creative he is!!
    But good luck with it, you've got some balls to do it!
    please post pics :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Well I won't be able to post pics for a few months, assuming that's how long he decides to take, as I'd end up seeing them myself. That part is actually getting complicated as I've had to format a memory card and mark it as the tattoo card, which I need other ppl to back-up the pics from.

Regarding how confident I am about him, I've seen some of his work on Facebook and know two ppl that swear by him. The girl I know, he's done her, her mother, step-father and brother. Small ones generally, but it's a good sign. And her friend has a huge number of tats and has won awards based on his work. I could put up Facebook links to examples, but I'm not sure that's appropriate for here.

Regarding what he can / can't do, he did ask if I wanted colour or b&w and I said colour. I requested he didn't do anything offensive (but added if he did, at least it would not be my decision, and would be a story). He asked if I wanted part or all of my back and I said it was up to him, but lets make it impressive. He said he wanted to convey a message, but I wouldn't give him any tips. He assumed I have travelled a fair bit as I am now here, and mentioned strength as a theme. However, I to have want minimum input. Some friends have said I should include something weird of my choosing like a My Little Pony, but I don't want to sway what he intends in any way.

Will keep you updated on how it goes anyway. Hopefully I don't get to see it until it's done, but that will be tricky. Plus I'm not long in my job and have no one to moisturise me! I'm going to have to ask someone random to accompany me to the toilet every few hours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

tbh it sounds like he knows what hes doing and it sounds like he is a talented artist going on what youve been told, i say it will be impressive, the only thing id do differently is id like to be kept up to date with what his ideas are and see it as it develops but id let him do whatever he wanted and free hand, if i knew/ or had worked with him before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's a terrible idea. Tattoos are for life. As you say yourself:

You don't know him
    You barely know his work
    You don't know what tattoo you're going to get
    You don't know how long it will take
    You don't know how much it will cost

If it turns out he draws something awful on your back, you'll be wondering what the hell you were thinking as it's so obviously a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

post the links to his portfolio, that way folks here might better understand if the chap has any talent

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

It sounds like you have confidance issues tbh.

Its a very bad idea! This is going to be on you for life. I understand the whole 'go for it' attitude but come on!!!

Whats the harm of seeing his plans and giving some feedback on it. He might draw something he really likes but you find a bit strange or funny. Its on your skin, you need to be comfortable with it.

From my experience people are even comfotable with very bad tattoo's because it was thir idea at the time. Your starting off in a loosing position the way your going about it. Its not your to begin with.

I agree 100% with AARRRGH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i have to say i think you're very brave.. especially considering you are paying him to do whatever he wants and he says he wants to "convey a message", you have no idea what kind of agendas this fellah might have!

if you do go with it then best of luck and i really do hope it turns out well but if, alternatively you decide to spend this massive sum of money on a really well planned tattoo that you are guaranteed to love forever then best of luck with that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

he is a very talented artist! i just hope you agree with the message he conveys on your back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I think this is a fantastic idea, but.. your whole back? If I was to do this I'd get it on my foot or something.

I'm not going to go on and state the obvious even more by saying "what if you don't like it" but would you really be able to accept anything? Imagine if he did a portrait for example, or script..

Either way you only live once, blah etc, I still say do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

!!! wrote: »
    Either way you only live once, blah etc, I still say do it.

That's why I think he shouldn't do it. You only have one back, best to get what you really want on it, rather than what someone else wants.

It sounds very insecure to me. No offence OP!

I still think it could be awesome, but make sure he shows you a sketch or explains what he's going to do before you let him even think about touching your back with the needle, because lets face it, you want to be sure you'll like it.

AARRRGH and DinoBot, well I wouldn't say that I have confidence or insecurity issues. Well, maybe I do, but I would certainly say that me getting this tattoo does not display those.

Me putting this on here was not to be made feel secure, it was just to put it out there and get some feedback. And hopefully I've brought a smile to a face or two.

DamoElDiablo, that's the point, won't have any clue, no drawings, examples, hints, nothing.

!!!, feet and other areas don't have the same appeal for me. I may get them done eventually, but I don't see the point in a tattooist running wild on such a small, limited area.

Delorian wrote: »
    DamoElDiablo, that's the point, won't have any clue, no drawings, examples, hints, nothing.

When it's this way, I can't help but feel that it seems pretty risky and somewhat reckless. What if it turns out to be something that you loathe? It's permanent, and I really don't think it should be taken quite so lightly! I really hope it turns out well for you, but I honestly do think you should at least have an idea of what's going to be permanently inked onto your body.

So it's one week since I got the outline done, or at least the majority of it, and I still have no idea what it is. Well, that's not strictly true, I did see a corner by accident and have tried to forget it straight away, some guy told me the style, and obviously I felt the lines, but I wouldn't have too good an idea what's back there.

I must say, it's been a great experience so far. The tattooist was amazing, keeping the secret going and obviously enjoying having the freedom to do what he thinks will be best. Unfortunately, with a few drinks in me, I did show a good few randomers in a bar, but they were all good enough not to tell me anything. Of course I've had a few smart asses say the pink swastica's came out really well, the likeness of Britney Spears bald is amazing and the penis looks totally in place with the shape of my back, but I don't think they were telling the truth.

I've been told it's going to look really good when it's coloured and that'll likely change the whole appearance of it, esp. since the tattooist is such a good colourer, so I'm not overly concerned about finding out more, but God help anyone who tells me. I've been trying to think of ways of getting back anyone who tells me, but haven't come up with anything appropriate yet.

I must say though, maybe I'm a pansy, but 3 hours of outline on the back was killer. Virtually every part of it was as bad as every other part. Still though, for the experience, it's a highly recommended way of going about a back piece. Roll on the 5th for the next session...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

wow... I dunno whether to say fair play or tut tut at ye, but I'm very excited to see this when it's done!

Very interesting way to go about getting a back piece! Maybe it's a nice mixture of Brit with some pinky swastikas :D Dunno how you couldn't have a look yet!

I've been trying to think of ways of getting back anyone who tells me, but haven't come up with anything appropriate yet.

I must say though, maybe I'm a pansy, but 3 hours of outline on the back was killer. Virtually every part of it was as bad as every other part. Still though, for the experience, it's a highly recommended way of going about a back piece. Roll on the 5th for the next session...

A punch in the teeth? :pac:

As regards the pain, everyone is different. Some people will have no problem with tattoos on their backs, others will really feel it!

Hope this turns out to your liking and can't wait to see it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

The outline is the worst part tbh. The shading and colour shouldn't hurt as much as he'll use different tips / needles than the type used for lining.

I found the opposite to be the case O_o

Outlining = 1 needle

Colour/shading = many needles

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Me too, the filling has always been the worst for me.
    Very daring letting the artist work on you like that, fair play!

Outlining = 1 needle

Colour/shading = many needles
    Yeah but it's not as intense. the single needle scrapes and scratches into your skin while the many close together aren't as rough. The shading is almost like getting a massage compared to the line needle imo. I'm always more uncomfortable getting the outline done.

Just goes to show how it's different for everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

dunno if your doing this already but you should get someone to takes pics of it as ytou go along. to see the diff stages. post them up here after its all done.
    fair play to ya for doing it, i would love to but wouldnt have the balls to!!

oh and yea pain is diff for everyone, my back didnt hurt at all hardly the one spot i would love to get done again! very relaxin for some resaon!! (was only my lower back tho)

So I had my second session on Sat. Think it went quite well although am a little over acting like a retarded gymnast in public toilets trying to moisturise myself and also sleeping on my side. Still, it's all in a good cause.

No more of an idea what's back there, but ppl seem to be impressed by the addition of colouring / shading. I don't actually know what colours, if any he has used yet, but think it is still mainly grey / black.

The shading did hurt a lot more than my previous tats, but not as bad as the outline.

My next session is the 24th with my unveiling / unwrapping myself on Christmas morning, so that worked out well! After that he's going to be leaving it expandable, so we'll have to decide if I want more added or not. Am thinking about leaving it for a few months to enjoy it, and then letting him expand it in any way he wants, once again not telling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Fair play to yah :)

So I had my second session on Sat. Think it went quite well although am a little over acting like a retarded gymnast in public toilets trying to moisturise myself and also sleeping on my side. Still, it's all in a good cause.

No more of an idea what's back there, but ppl seem to be impressed by the addition of colouring / shading. I don't actually know what colours, if any he has used yet, but think it is still mainly grey / black.

The shading did hurt a lot more than my previous tats, but not as bad as the outline.

My next session is the 24th with my unveiling / unwrapping myself on Christmas morning, so that worked out well! After that he's going to be leaving it expandable, so we'll have to decide if I want more added or not. Am thinking about leaving it for a few months to enjoy it, and then letting him expand it in any way he wants, once again not telling me.

Really interested in how this is turning out for you, I'm sure it's really hard to not try and take a peek. Your willpower in that is impressing me even more than the fact that you're getting a mystery tattoo! :D

I'll be logging on here on Christmas day for pics!!! ;)

• Advertisement

seriously, how the fuck are you resisting the urge to look. :eek:

Fair play to ye. hope it turns out well. make sure you post pics as soon as it's finished.

Advertisement