Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Irish guy seriously injured in Coogee attack

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Taken from the Irish Times:

An Irishman is in critical condition after being attacked in a suburb of Sydney, Australia last weekend.

Gearoid Walsh (23) suffered severe head injuries in the attack at Coogee on Sunday, and is on a life support machine at the Prince of Wales Hospital.

When police arrived, the backpacker had stopped breathing and was in cardiac arrest.

It is believed he had been drinking at hotels in the area before he got into an argument with a man at a takeaway food shop on Arden Street, police said in a statement.

New South Wales police released CCTV footage of a person they wish to interview in relation to the incident. The man is described as being 25-30 years old, average build, 75kg, 175cm tall, short brown slightly curly hair, clean shaven, round face, White/European wearing a white V-neck T-shirt and jeans.

“We would like to speak to the person in this CCTV footage as we believe he can provide us with information as to what happened,” said Detective Inspector Paul Simpkins, Eastern Beaches LAC crime manager.

Detective Simpkins said the Irishman only arrived in Australia a month ago on a working visa and had been spending time between his brother's house in Brisbane and his sister in Randwick.

“Gearoid’s mother arrived from Ireland on Wednesday night. This is the last reason she would want to come to Australia," he added.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sad to say that Gearoid is a regular poster on Boards under the user name eirebhoy.

He is well known on the Soccer forum and a well liked poster.

All the best to him and his family.

Best wishes thread here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

The poor bloke.

He's in ICU in Syndney. One of the best ICU services in the world. He's in good hands. Hope he gets better soon.

Always enjoy reading his posts on the soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sad to say that Gearoid is a regular poster on Boards under the user name eirebhoy.

He is well known on the Soccer forum and a well liked poster.

All the best to him and his family.

Best wishes thread here

Not everyone can post in Soccer. I left him a visitor message in his profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭musky

Used to work with Gearoid, lovely lovely guy, would not harm a fly.

He's the sort of bloke you would like to see marry your sister.

I am shocked that this has happened, he was so looking forward to his travelling.

I really hope that he recovers.

I dont know what else to say.

Thinking of u Gearoid, pull through, my prayers are with you.

Just heard the news - RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well it's a really, really long shot but here is the CCTV footage of the guy police want to speak to in connection with the attack.

Already posted my best wishes for a good recovery to eirebhoy in the soccer forum :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Oh ****, I didn't realise that. Poor bloke, I've read plenty of his posts before. It is scant consolation, but at least there is good footage of that guy they're seeking, can't imagine it'll take too long to track him down.

Hopefully he pulls through OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

:( i know him from posting on foot.ie. a really knowledgeable guy and seems really cool as well. absolutely gutted here. please be ok:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

absolutely horrible news. so pointless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Holy Crap, Was reading this this morning and wondering of the possibilty of it being a boardsie. Never thought it would be such a well known and long standing boardsie as EireBhoy.:(:(

Wish him all the best and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I hope he at least got to see the better side of Australia before he met the worst. His poor mum. RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Word coming through that he passed away. Shocking stuff.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055724617

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

R.I.P Gearoid. This is so sad. If there's any mass going to be held in Sydney, please put details up here as I'd like to attend.

I hope the scumbag who did this gets what's coming to him.

Looks as if he had only just started to post on this Aus/Nz Forum this month. From the sentiment left on the Soccer forum it was our loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

RIP - that's a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh shiiiit.

RIP dude.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Condolances to his family. I have read on here how nice a guy he was. Can see where he got it from. His mother was so dignified today at the press conference. Amazing woman under such unbelievable circumstances.

Also he was an organ donor and will now save 6 Australian lives including one young girl. An amazing legacy.

I was in Coogee Sunday evening till 8PM was probably unknowingly standing near him.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/30/2728656.htm?section=australia
    edit : channel 10 have said the guy they were looking for handed himself in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

thats sickenin, happens all to often that yobos pick fights with Foreign lookin/soundin lads cos they guess theres no backup.

I hope the Fukkker who did it has a slow and agonising death.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

:(

RIP Gearóid Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I hope the Fukkker who did it has a slow and agonising death.

I heard the press conference and Gearóid,s mother said that she holds no ill-will towards the guy and doesn't want him to serve any time in jail. She said that she doesn't consider it a murder and that Gearóid was a very tall guy at six foot two and had a long way to fall.

As myhorse said, it was an absolutely totally and utterly dignified response and one that really got to me. An amazing woman!

It's on the Morning Ireland website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭fippy

RIP buddy you'll be missed greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Just read on The Herald Sun's website that he has been charged and refused bail.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/man-charged-over-irish-backpackers-death/story-e6frf7kf-1225792950075

POLICE have charged a 28-year-old Clovelly man with manslaughter, reckless wounding and assault following the death of an Irish backpacker in Sydney's south.

He is due to appear before Parramatta Court tomorrow via videolink in connection with the death of Gearoid Walsh, 23.

Mr Walsh died in hospital on Thursday night after being injured in an altercation at a Coogee takeaway shop on October 25.

The charged man has been refused bail, police said.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Rip. Just saw his mam on the tv. What an amazing woman. Not many people would be so dignified. Really something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Looks as if he had only just started to post on this Aus/Nz Forum this month. From the sentiment left on the Soccer forum it was our loss.

This - his last post was in this forum asking about apartments in Brisbane. It's a shame that this forum did not get to know him better. From the sounds of things he was a great guy and I've always respected his posts elsewhere. So many people come in to this forum excited about moving and their new lives and you never ever expect that this could happen to any of us.

I actually found out on facebook from another boardsie and logged in to see what had happened. It was then I found out he was attacked in Sydney.

Really shocking and my thoughts are with his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

thats sickenin, happens all to often that yobos pick fights with Foreign lookin/soundin lads cos they guess theres no backup.

That doesn't appear to be the case though.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,26285634-1702,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

RIP,

But I also feel sorry for your man who is now going down for manslaughter.

Alcohol and male bravado seem to be the real killers in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well hes been charged. not convicted.

sure look up the definition of manslaughter. it covers "accidental murder". obviously he never meant to kill him but thats how it ended up. its all about intent.

in his defence, he did hand himself in, which says something about him.

As I said before it was series of unfortunate events. Seen it happen loads of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

RIP,

But I also feel sorry for your man who is now going down for manslaughter.

Alcohol and male bravado seem to be the real killers in this case

I was thinking the same but didn't know how posting it would be recieved. It wasn't an attack as first thought, but an argument that got out of hand. A tragic event all round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I was thinking the same but didn't know how posting it would be recieved. It wasn't an attack as first thought, but an argument that got out of hand. A tragic event all round.

I think that's perfectly ok to post. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. His mother has said she has no ill will against the guy who has been charged. His life has been ruined too. As Zambia says it was a series of unfortunate events, with the worst possible outcome.

Advertisement