Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drivers Salaries for 2009 Revealed

• 29-10-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/29102009/58/revealed-drivers-earn.html

1. Kimi Raikkonen $45m (£27.35 million)

2. Lewis Hamilton $18m

3. Fernando Alonso $15m

4. Nico Rosberg $8.5m

5. Felipe Massa $8m

6. Jarno Trulli $6.5m

7. Sebastian Vettel $6m

8. Mark Webber $5.5m

9. Jenson Button $5m

10. Robert Kubica $4.5m

11. Heikki Kovalainen $3.5m

12. Nick Heidfeld $2.8m

13. Timo Glock $2m

14. Giancarlo Fisichella $1.5m

15. Sébastien Buemi $1.5m

16. Rubens Barrichello $1m

17. Jaime Alguersuari $0.5m

18. Vitantonio Liuzzi $Nil

19. Adrian Sutil $Nil

20. Romain Grosjean $Nil

21. Kazuki Nakajima $Nil

Big surprise for me was the fact Buemi's salary, Glocks, and the fact that neither Sutil nor Liuzzi got paid.

1) Points to note that Kimi is not worth 20 million more than Alonso or Lewis and.
    2) Why is Kimi paid sooooo much more than Massa ?
    3) I am AMAZED that Williams paid Rosberg so well. I'm not saying is isnt worth it, but Williams are known for being tight as a cavan man when it comes to Salaries
    4) Thought Rubens should be getting more. Suppose reports that Williams will be paying him 4 times more next year may well be accurate. Looking at this list I'd say $4 million is about his market value

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Have to take those figures with a shovel of salt. Kimi's figure includes a helluva lot of sponsorship funnelled through Ferrari to pay his salary while other drivers will have sponsorship going directly to them so it doesn't show up as salary.

Sutil and Liuzzi will have gotten paid fairly handsomely, again it's all through sponsorship and turning up at corporate stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Even if they're only rough numbers, I fail to see how Kimi is worth double the next highest paid driver.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Even if they're only rough numbers, I fail to see how Kimi is worth double the next highest paid driver.

He wouldn't be on twice as much as the next driver, but it would appear he/his representatives are just much better negotiators than the rest. He brought a lot of sponsors to Ferrari and it's sponsors not teams who pay drivers, if sponsors want to pay one driver they pay him, they call the shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Don't forget Kimi negotiated his deal in 2006 as a four year deal so that would make a big difference compared to Alonso-rejoined Renault in 08, Hamilton signed a new contract then as well etc. So most deals were done in the recession whereas Kimi's was done as Schumi's replacement in good economic times, as well as the fact of sponsorship as already noted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

thegoth wrote: »

1) Points to note that Kimi is not worth 20 million more than Alonso or Lewis and.
    2) Why is Kimi paid sooooo much more than Massa ?
    3) I am AMAZED that Williams paid Rosberg so well. I'm not saying is isnt worth it, but Williams are known for being tight as a cavan man when it comes to Salaries
    4) Thought Rubens should be getting more. Suppose reports that Williams will be paying him 4 times more next year may well be accurate. Looking at this list I'd say $4 million is about his market value

1) He is worth what someone is willing to pay him.
    2) Ferrari wanted to get him to leave McLaren, his management team exploited this, also he probably brought a large amount of sponsorship money with him.
    3) I bet his name brings in a good bit of sponsorship money.
    4) Considering he and Button took huge pay cuts this year and Brawn seriously considered giving B. Senna the seat I would say its about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    1) He is worth what someone is willing to pay him.
    2) Ferrari wanted to get him to leave McLaren, his management team exploited this, also he probably brought a large amount of sponsorship money with him.
    3) I bet his name brings in a good bit of sponsorship money.
    4) Considering he and Button took huge pay cuts this year and Brawn seriously considered giving B. Senna the seat I would say its about right.

Good points.

Have to disagree with the last point. Dont think Sébastien Buemi is worth $1.5m
    while Rubens Barrichello gets $1m. The only reason is the Brawn took advantage of the fact he was the only life line for Rubens. Dont think Ross Brawn had any intention of signing Senna. Rookies crash. Brawn could not afford that in their first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Good points.

while Rubens Barrichello gets $1m. The only reason is the Brawn took advantage of the fact he was the only life line for Rubens. Dont think Ross Brawn had any intention of signing Senna. Rookies crash. Brawn could not afford that in their first year.
    Exactly, rookies crash. And Brawn only having three chassis for the whole season it was always going to be two experienced drivers. Still $1m is piss poor for a guy of Rubens caliber..

Edit: Plenty of sources have Rosberg driving for Brawn next year, i seriously doubt he'll get any pay rise on this year. Might even struggle to get the $8.5m..

Combine what every driver on the grid (less Kimi) is paid: $89.8m

Kimi's salary: $45m

is he worth it?

Red Storm wrote: »
    Exactly, rookies crash. And Brawn only having three chassis for the whole season it was always going to be two experienced drivers. Still $1m is piss poor for a guy of Rubens caliber..

Edit: Plenty of sources have Rosberg driving for Brawn next year, i seriously doubt he'll get any pay rise on this year. Might even struggle to get the $8.5m..

Combine what every driver on the grid (less Kimi) is paid: $89.8m

Kimi's salary: $45m

is he worth it?

Have you read the thread at all? The total for everyone on the grid except Kimi will be much higher than that. Kimi's sponsorship is all funnelled through Ferrari so he has a massive "salary", most drivers have the sponsorship money paid seperately. Do you really think Nakajima has been driving around all year for free? He brings huge sponsorship with him that pays his wages and keeps a few quid ticking over in Williams' bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Good points.

Yeah i agree Barrichello worth more than 1 million(going by the numbers posted) i would say around 4-5 million would be right if he didn't take the cut, but since he did take it and was threatened with loosing his seat, even if they were never going to go with Senna 1 million makes sense.

amacachi wrote: »
    Have you read the thread at all? The total for everyone on the grid except Kimi will be much higher than that. Kimi's sponsorship is all funnelled through Ferrari so he has a massive "salary", most drivers have the sponsorship money paid seperately. Do you really think Nakajima has been driving around all year for free? He brings huge sponsorship with him that pays his wages and keeps a few quid ticking over in Williams' bank account.

Prove that.. :D

• Advertisement

Red Storm wrote: »
    Prove that.. :D

It's fairly widely known. It's not an illegal thing or anything, just whatever way they decided to do their bookkeeping.

Fair enough i'll take your word there. Wonder how much Ferrari actually pay Kimi? He's got sponsorship with TAG watches but i don't know about much else..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Kimi doesn't bring in anywhere near the amount of sponsorship money that Alonso or Hamilton does, he never has. Hamilton is the sponsor's dream ticket, young, talented, successful, likes doing sponsorship days, has a hot famous girlfriend.... Alonso brings not just sponsorship, but massive Title Sponsors like Santander with him. Kimi's not linked with anything like that sort of money.

Advertisement