Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steep driveway

Options
  • 29-10-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there's a better forum for this but...

I have very steep driveway. I'm worried that when the frost/snow comes that it will be impossible to get the car out. As it is, I'm spinning on the cattle grid at the top when it's wet. Have to roll back down and go again. The surface is a light coating of fine stone that is nearly bare, but there is enough that it doesn't get muddy. Anything I can do with this to make sure I can get out when frost and snow does come?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The gritty finish you have already will help with most frosty conditions. However it won't matter what surface you have if the snow or frost is severe enough as you'll be driving on an ice sheet not the driveway. imo your only option is to try keep it as clear as possible, that means keeping a stock of road salt and grit and applying as the weather forecast dictates.

Oh, and make sure the driveway is well drained to reduce the amount of water available to freeze. Keep a eye on any shores/drains at the top and along the sides of the driveway, they can clog up pretty quickly with leaves, etc.

If the cattle grid is close to the road you should consider moving it a bit further down the driveway allow you drive fast enough to get over it before reaching the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

+1 on what slimjimm said.

maybe you should look for permanent solution as in tarmac with grip strips ( same material coming to some roundabouts and junctions.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Thanks for the tips. Somebody has suggested that sea salt is very good for gritting. Moving the grid further down the drive would be good idea only it would mean I'd have to get a much bigger one and don't have much (any) money at the moment. The tarmac and strips is a very good recommendation, just the money situation here too. Definitely, in the long run. I think I might be fooked one the cattle grid freezes as I'm guessing the salt won't stick to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

could you fill in the cattle grid and weld up a gate instead? Or turn the grill sideways and even use it as the gate, your certain its to be the right dimensions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Cheapest solution might be to just spread an extra layer of chippings. Then, if snow or ice collects your car tyres will break up the surface and give you grip back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,384 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Put a good layer of chips and keep them fresh by giving them a quick raking every few weeks. This will keep an even loose coating of chips at all times. When the frost comes, they would provide enough grip

Advertisement