Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon Hack Development Kit (for expanding you camera's functionality)

• 29-10-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Posting this one in case there is interest ... unfortunately Canon DSLR's are not yet supported, but the G9 series is ... shame I just sold mine!!

I was at a conference in London this week where the founder of Wikipedia was speaking about the Wikia site ...

The example he discussed (and of which apparently he is a big fan) was CHDK

It seems you can hack into the firmware of your Canon P&S to enable lots of extra features such as enabling a RAW capture mode (for camera that don't already have it), DOF calculators, motion detection, expanded manual control etc ... the list goes on (see list)

There is even an online community where there are some examples

Has anyone had a play with it ? ... I'd be interested to find out what you think of it ... and what cool ideas people been able to do implement with the hacked firmware...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

...shame I just sold mine!!

Hee hee...

Must have a look over the weekend. Nice one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Have Canon A620 that i have wanted to try with this for awhile now. Sadly the camera technically belongs to the wife, but lately she has preferred my little Lumix. So, I might get a chance at this some time in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Its available for the 400d too. You can raise iso to 3200 and it adds spot metering. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

a while back I read about a guy who got video capture working on his eos 40d but Im not sure if he made much progress with it, there should be a video on youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Makes you wonder

If all those powershot cameras are capable of all those extra features, why dont Canon enable them in the first place and market them as a way of adding value to the product?

Why are Canon witholding these features ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

dnme wrote: »
    Why are Canon witholding these features ?

I suspect it might have something to do with their market segmentation ...

For example the majority of Sureshot P&S shooters probably pop it on green box and rarely change it from there ... shooting RAW is something they don't care too much about ...

Most of the product people at the Camera makers to whom I have spoken are more preoccupied with the gimmicky features than the advanced user ones or ones that enable better picture capture ... they make a bigger impact on the product literature and advertising campaigns ... as exemplified by the adverts for the Samsung ST550 where they are making a big deal out of a preview screen facing the subject ...

I could tell a few stories ... but I better not! ... ;)

As a Japanese company Canon are one of the more conservative camera makers ... they do nearly all R&D in-house buying in very little in from external suppliers ... I'm very surprised they have left this back door into their software ... but fair play to them for doing it ...

Advertisement