Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom any use?

• 29-10-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Recently tried to get broadband with Chorus but they couldnt get a signal at my house so I am looking at getting Smart in? Are they good and do they charge line rental like eircom?

Any tips would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

I thought Smart went bankrupt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭PCros

Hmmm explains why I never got a reply off them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=3421

You can check to see if Smart is available on your line here & details of different packages available here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

hello932 wrote: »

No. They are currently in examinership while a buyer is being sought.

They're one of the best DSL providers around. They do charge line rental, as all DSL providers have to. This is never going to change.

So best advice is to stay away from them at the moment. I just noticed Vodafone are doing 3mb for €40 and it includes line rental, thats around €15 cheaper than the same product from Eircom.

Oh and on the Chorus issue they are going to service my estate to try and figure out why there is no signal, they suspect sombody cut a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

PCros wrote: »
    So best advice is to stay away from them at the moment.

No, they won't be going away, they'll just have a new owner.
    PCros wrote: »
    Oh and on the Chorus issue they are going to service my estate to try and figure out why there is no signal, they suspect sombody cut a wire.

If you heard that from the sales people, then you should ignore it. Sales say anything, and usually it's complete rubbish.

jor el wrote: »
    If you heard that from the sales people, then you should ignore it. Sales say anything, and usually it's complete rubbish.

Talked to sales first they hadn't a clue so then talked to their technical crowd and thats what they told me, said it can take up to ten days so if nothings done by then I won't be touching chorus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Is the linechecker accurate, the eircom one always gives a fail for me but Smart says yes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Is the linechecker accurate, the eircom one always gives a fail for me but Smart says yes...

That line checker doesn't work no more. Tried 046-1111111 and........

You’ve qualified for our Nationwide Bitstream products.

Yippee.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Have been with Smart Telecom almost 3yrs now and find them excellent!, saved about 35% straight away when we switched over, plus Smart offer 1:1 contention and no download cap!, and their Customer Support team are located in Ireand not half way around the world like Eircoms which was a big plus for me!
    Also Smart have their own national fibre network which allows them to offer a far superior DSL service as opposed to the various Eircom ReSellers, ie Digiweb, Vodafone
    Would highly recommend them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dm09 wrote: »
    Have been with Smart Telecom almost 3yrs now and find them excellent!, saved about 35% straight away when we switched over, plus Smart offer 1:1 contention and no download cap!!!
    Would highly recommend them!

No, they offer a 170gig download cap on all products.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Spear wrote: »
    No, they offer a 170gig download cap on all products.

Well they claimed to have no download cap when I signed up, even if it is 170GB its still 5times the amount most ISPs offer

What are your sources on this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dm09 wrote: »
    Well they claimed to have no download cap when I signed up, even if it is 170GB its still 5times the amount most ISPs offer

What are your sources on this?

The link in my sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

According to the Smart Website
    Nov 5 2009: Smart Telecom to exit Examinership through investment from Digweb

''Smart Telecom (‘Smart’ or the ‘Company’) the Irish provider of voice, data and media communications services today announces that Digiweb, the Irish national telecommunications and managed services provider, intends to acquire the entire customer base and assets of Smart. The investment by Digiweb, which is subject to approval by creditors and the Irish High Court (the “Court”), enables Smart to emerge from a period of Examinership and to form part of the Digiweb Group.
    The proposed combination would create the leading, independent Irish telecommunications company and would significantly enhance the scale and scope of the combined Digiweb-Smart service offering.''

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hello932 wrote: »

Smart have never stopped trading as a company and actually offer a very good value for money ADSL package if you can avail of it.

Smart are now owned by Digiweb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Cabaal wrote: »

Smart are now owned by Digiweb

Not until the High Court says they are, waiting with baited breath for DigiWeb to strangle former Smart customers with their policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I don't recommend anyone goes with smart anymore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

CutzEr wrote: »
    I don't recommend anyone take your recommendation under consideration... :/

Care to elaborate?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CutzEr wrote: »

I'm curious on what basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Statement on the Smart site here says they will be retaining the brand(for the time being I imagine) so in the short term and hopefully long Smart will stay in existence.

Cant recommend them high enough even with the 170gb cap which is rarely enforced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 drewbie

Perhaps it used to be rare to enforce the NEW 170 GB cap, but I can tell you they most certainly are enforcing it now. And I doubt they are doing it selectively either. Got my 1st letter a couple weeks ago. I've been a customer for almost 2 years now, and I'm quite certain that I used to DL much more than 170GB/mo. Can't say for certain because I never needed to check before!

I'm going to wait to see how the Digiweb transition works out, but I've already confirmed that I can get service from Magnet (who has a sometimes enforced 250GB cap).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Been with Smart for 3 years and didn't have any problem.

We have phone and broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 deigo008

hi... yea Smart is now part of the Digiweb Group a move which gives Smart the solid base that its longing for to make them a major player in the comms market again!! about time we had a serious ISP to take on eircom again... it looks like it will remain the exact same with the same products... my mate has them and loves the service.. Speed is excellent...doesnt have an issue with traffic...he moved over after a bad experience with an ISP called magnet.
    Jesus you guys are giving out about like 200 GB of traffic... ye must be downloading some amount of crap .I know a lot of businesses that wouldnt do that amount in a month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thebeatlebaby

Larkin91 wrote: »
    Been with Smart for 3 years and didn't have any problem.

We have phone and broadband.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

drewbie wrote: »
    Perhaps it used to be rare to enforce the NEW 170 GB cap, but I can tell you they most certainly are enforcing it now.

Yes, they are :mad:

I got a couple of e-mails myself over the last couple of months. I just took them at face value.

Until late on Dec 26th when - bored - I took a closer look at the figures on their own website, for my account. I noticed what appeared to be a big difference between their graph and the total they indicated...

av4xds.jpg

The total says 160, but the graph is under 145.

So, I decided to add up the figures on their own site...

de1y84.jpg

and I got 136! A lot less than 160... :confused:

So I immediately wrote two emails asking about this...

One of those emails was answered, first business day after Christmas, but it was just to ask for the images again.

Since that: Nothing.

So, to sum up, they changed their terms in the Summer, sent me emails telling me to curb my internet use. And, when I actually sat down and looked at them, the figures they were using to measure my usage didn't make sense. And Smart have basically ignored three emails asking them to explain this.

So, today I'll start pricing the competitors and see what else is out there :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Smart are not enforcing the cap as yet - they are just sending out warning emails to anyoner who goes over 80% of 170GB.

There have not been any reports of anyone being penalised or throttled yet by Smart.

Smart are not enforcing the cap as yet - they are just sending out warning emails to anyoner who goes over 80% of 170GB.

There have not been any reports of anyone being penalised or throttled yet by Smart.

You are correct. They have not used any technological means to penalise me, of course.

However, if i get an email (and I've gotten two) telling me to stop using the internet as much for a few days then, in my mind, I consider that "enforcing the cap".

Look at it this way. I pay them for this service. And, on two occasions since the Summer, I've been a position where I've had to curb/stop myself using the service for a few days. In my mind, I consider that "enforcing the cap."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

One of my friends from work is with smart and was throttled back to dialup like speeds for a few days for exceeding his cap. Knowing him though he was probably well over it though.

Before Dec 26th I took Smart at their word. If they said I was over, I assumed it was true.

Having spotted a 26 gig difference in figures, on their own website, I am now suspicious.

I'm now comparing the figure BitMeter gives me, with the figure Smart tells me is true.

s3hwzo.jpg

Today, for instance, there is over a half Gig difference in those figures :confused:

30 days x 0.5Gig leaves me with 15Gig discrepancy :eek:

And, Yes, I've emailed Smart about this. Three over week ago, and two today.

No replies yet...

If they were replying to me, about this, I wouldn't be airing my concerns in public like this.

My advice to everybody? Install BitMeter and compare the figures every day. See if you, too, are getting different readings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

So, today I'll start pricing the competitors and see what else is out there :mad:

Simple solution would be not to go over your cap ? Apart from that there is only 2 viable options and am pretty sure both magnet and upc have similar caps ? Or you probably shouldn't dl so much pron. :p

Maybe go back to eircom and actually need the month to get to your current cap ... :D

Advertisement