Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography Courses

• 29-10-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello. Living in Dublin ..I am searching through
    http://www.nightcourses.ie
    looking to do a course in photography.
    Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
    --I am hoping to buy the G10 camera and would like to improve to professional level

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Well for starters tell us where you live.

In Limerick I'm doing the below course. Really excellent and I've learned a lot.

http://www.lcfe.ie/courses.php?cID=305

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Professional at what? Weddings? Fine Art landscapes? Family portraits? Architecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kante

elven wrote: »
    Professional at what? Weddings? Fine Art landscapes? Family portraits? Architecture?

All of the above!!!:confused::eek::):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

On the camera choice - the G10 is a brilliant camera but would it have the flexibility that you will need if you intend/hope to go professional at some point in time. It does have full manual control from what I understand, but you will be more limited than dSLR. Just a thought.

For courses, check out what the institute of photography has on offer. They have particular courses like "wedding photography for beginners" which you may find interesting.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭thebiglad

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    On the camera choice - the G10 is a brilliant camera but would it have the flexibility that you will need if you intend/hope to go professional at some point in time. It does have full manual control from what I understand, but you will be more limited than dSLR. Just a thought.

For courses, check out what the institute of photography has on offer. They have particular courses like "wedding photography for beginners" which you may find interesting.

Best of luck with it.
    +1 for IOP, not long finished a course, excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

it may be best to choose something in particular to learn, jack of all trades - master of none, if you know what i mean. It will help you narrow down your choices. If you're just looking to get into photography and don't have a particular interest or passion i think it will come through in your stuff - the best work comes when you're shooting a subject you are passionate about. No need to get in too deep and find out you've made the wrong choice, maybe dip a toe and do a beginner's course, try a few things through that and your own personal experience just wandering round taking pictures in your spare time, and you'll get a better idea of what you want to get into in particular. have a look at professional photographer's portfolios and see what appeals most to you.

As for the camera, there are things that you'll struggle to do with a g10. It's a great little carry-around and if you want one that you can use later on as a pop-in-your-bag/pocket when you've gone and bought a dslr then go ahead, but you'll come up against the limits of what you can do with it pretty soon if you're looking to be serious about this at all.

An example - see when you get picture sof people and the background is blurry? that's done with shallow 'depth of field'. to get that to happen, you need a fast lens - one with a small f number (=large aperture) like 2.8 or lower. Even if you get a fast lens like that on a compact camera like the g10, the smaller sensor will mean you still won't get the blurry background. Of course there's plenty of stuff you CAN do with a wee camera like that, read what this guy says:

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2009/10/canon-g11-new-professional-camera.html

(sorry i can't be bothered doing a nice tidy link)

But it's something where you're better going in prepared knowing what the limitations are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sanctusbjorler

Anyone know of any similar photography courses in Galway?

Thanks

Darragh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Kante wrote: »
    --I am hoping to buy the G10 camera and would like to improve to professional level

I am wondering what you mean by "Professional Level"?

Most here will interpret that as you making a living from Photography, which is how I first understood it. I wonder if you mean you want to increase your skills & knowledge so that you are a proficient photographer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

One would hope that the two go hand-in-hand, although unfortunately it's not always the case =)

At any rate, Kante, drop me a line and I'll be able to help you out.

Cheers,
    Peter

Advertisement